DVD player

B

Blackout

I'm in need of a new DVD player. I will be using it on my HDTV. Want a nice one with good picture in the $30 range if possible.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but $30 is definitely on the low side for getting a good DVD player.

If you look at Walmart, Best Buy, and Amazon (websites anyway), Best Buy has no non-refurbished DVD players under $30. Walmart has 2 under $30, and neither really looks like a decent one. As for Amazon, I don't think they even have any under $30.

My best advice is to hope a local Walmart store has one of the Magnavox DVD players that come in a red and white box that's maybe 3-4 inches tall, by about a foot long and maybe 8-10" wide (note: I'm terrible with sizes when I've got to guess). I picked one up a couple years ago for my mom to use and it's worked like a champ.

That sucks. I figured they would have been cheap by now. What's the average price for a good DVD player?

Last edited:
He was looking at $30 and you suggest something that's $135?
I see stuff up to about $60 for an upconverting DVD player from Best Buy and Walmart.com. I can't say anything about any of the models, you'll have to research that yourself.

Try Wal-mart for good prices on a couple Bluray players. They had a magnavox for as low as $68 and a Sony for $98 the past couple weeks.

I already have a PS3. I don't want to use it as a DVD player because I'm paranoid of it crapping out on me. Happened to a few people I know. Also, how can you not tell I have the system when my gamertag is in my info to the left of my posts? :)

My original price point in the thread was based on the assumption that DVD players were extremely cheap now. It seems I was off base. I'm willing to go up to 60 bucks.

Love that Batman pic! :rofl:

Are any of these on Amazon good? Or this one from Best Buy? I'm not too knowledge on the hardware stuff.

[quote name='Blackout']Also, how can you not tell I have the system when my gamertag is in my info to the left of my posts? :)[/QUOTE]

Because it could be for the PSP. I know there are a few on here with PSN ID's and only have a PSP.

[quote name='Blackout']

Are any of these on Amazon good? Or this one from Best Buy? I'm not too knowledge on the hardware stuff.[/QUOTE]

I have the one from amazon...It has worked well enough so far...and it has a fairly small footprint as well, which might be useful in some settings...it doesn't have HDMI, which was fine for the old tube TV I'm using it on, but if you have more modern TVs you might want to spring for the one from best buy, which does have HDMI

[quote name='ssjmichael']Personally, if I were to get a DVD player for an HDTV I'd at least get an upscaling one. It won't be as good as Blu-rays, but much better than a standard player.

This one is $50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVP-SR50...RUBM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299823634&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

Wow, double post for no reason. Yes, that's the same model you posted from Best Buy.

I would recommend that DVD player you posted from Best Buy, OP. Sound quality doesn't seem too bad for a stand-alone player, and it has Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. From the reviews on Best Buy, only one user complained about the noise, but perhaps s/he wasn't doinitrite. Only drawbacks seem to be that the widescreen output feature isn't easy to find, and that the remote lacks an Eject button. Whir and load times tend to be the biggest issues when testing DVD players for me, but it seems to do well in both regards. That's probably the best model you'll find in your new price range.

[quote name='Blade']Wow, double post for no reason. Yes, that's the same model you posted from Best Buy.

I would recommend that DVD player you posted from Best Buy, OP. Sound quality doesn't seem too bad for a stand-alone player, and it has Dolby Digital and DTS decoders. From the reviews on Best Buy, only one user complained about the noise, but perhaps s/he wasn't doinitrite. Only drawbacks seem to be that the widescreen output feature isn't easy to find, and that the remote lacks an Eject button. Whir and load times tend to be the biggest issues when testing DVD players for me, but it seems to do well in both regards. That's probably the best model you'll find in your new price range.[/QUOTE]

Forgive me for not clicking every single one of the links posted here....

[quote name='Blackout']I already have a PS3. I don't want to use it as a DVD player because I'm paranoid of it crapping out on me. Happened to a few people I know. Also, how can you not tell I have the system when my gamertag is in my info to the left of my posts? :)

My original price point in the thread was based on the assumption that DVD players were extremely cheap now. It seems I was off base. I'm willing to go up to 60 bucks.

Love that Batman pic! :rofl:

Are any of these on Amazon good? Or this one from Best Buy? I'm not too knowledge on the hardware stuff.[/QUOTE]

You have an XBL tag in there too, so why not use your 360?

[quote name='Blackout']I already have a PS3. I don't want to use it as a DVD player because I'm paranoid of it crapping out on me. Happened to a few people I know. Also, how can you not tell I have the system when my gamertag is in my info to the left of my posts? :)
[/QUOTE]

lol i didnt even think to check it. If you PS3 is one of the slim ones you'd probly have nothing to worry about it crapping out since they seem to have fixed alot of the problems.

if your willing to go to 69.99 heres something that you might be interested in: http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-day.cfm?utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=4485850&utm_campaign=CJ

bread's done
Back