DVI to HMDI cable

Yes, it should work. But I'm not sure if you'll be able to display in 720p or not because I don't think that monitor is HDCP compatible. Of course, I don't know if that applies to games or just BD movies.

you wont get sound out of the DVI cable just keep that in mind..

DVI carries video only...HDMI carries both sound and video

[quote name='scp89']

DVI carries video only...HDMI carries both sound and video[/quote]

Good call.
If you use a DVI 2 HDMI cable, you will need to output audio directly from the PS3, into a receiver

[quote name='harrygetsoff']Good call.
If you use a DVI 2 HDMI cable, you will need to output audio directly from the PS3, into a receiver[/QUOTE]
How will I do that? I forgot that cable isn't like the X360 one where it has audio cables

^ Exactly. You could output via analog (white and red) into a stereo receiver.

Or you could use an optical cable to plug into your receiver. Make sure your receiver has an optical input before puchasing an optical cable

So I gotta get the DVI to HDMI cable, and than use the composite cables it come with to plug into a stereo receiver? Do all speakers have stereo inputs/outputs?

If you use DVI to HDMI cable, you do not need composite cables. Composite cables carry video signals (green/blue/red). What you need is an optical digital cable. You can get them for $5-$12. They plug into the back of your PS3 (audio out) and plug into the back of your stereo receiver (into an input)

If your stereo receiver does not have a optical input, you will have to use the composite cable that came with your PS3. The composite cable is yellow (video), white and red (white and red carry audio). You connect it to the back of your PS3, and then plug the white and red into the back of your stereo receiver. Yellow will not be plugged into anything since you are using HDMI.

All receivers will have inputs, so don't worry. Some have digital inputs (optical, coaxial) and some have the regular analog (white and red). The advantage of the digital connection is that you can run 5.1 surround sound (dolby digital)

Let me know if you need further explanation. It sounds confusing, but is really very easy

If you're just trying to connect it to normal PC speakers, you can use a cheap adapter to go composite -> PC speakers (or run it through your PC). The adapter is like the one that comes with the 360's VGA cable (but I think you can buy it separately for like $5).

If anyone's connected the PS3 to a regular monitor via HDMI -> DVI (or through VGA), PLEASE post your experiences. I really want to know if this works.

(The standard VGA cable is one of my favorite features of the 360.)

[quote name='Michaellvortega']I think if you plug in the HDMI-DVI you wont be able to get sound out of anything else but the optical.[/quote]

Not quite....

Optical will work, but you will have to go to system and set it to output the audio via the optical output.

You can also use an audio output other than optical, though. I have done so. You just need to change your system settings under the audio section as you would for the optical output.

I've tried optical and composite (red, white, yellow). Both work. Theoretically, the component output(red, green, blue/red, white) will work using the same principals since you are only really using the stereo red/white hookups.

[quote name='Zoglog']I am using HDMI -> DVI now. It works fine @ 1080p[/QUOTE]

Have you tried connecting it to a PC monitor? And if so, what resolutions work? I'd REALLY like to be able to hook the PS3 to a PC monitor...

[quote name='mick16']Not sure what length cable you need, but go to www.monoprice.com and search under hdmi dvi cable and you can find it for a lot cheaper...[/quote]

monoprice is great. I have hdmi cables from them and they are top notch.

[quote name='Puppy']Have you tried connecting it to a PC monitor? And if so, what resolutions work? I'd REALLY like to be able to hook the PS3 to a PC monitor...[/QUOTE]

that's dependent on the monitor.

Theoretically if the monitor has the port, and the supported resolution of 1920x1080 (if you want 1080p) or higher, it will work.

Darn, I would just be hooking it to a normal 4:3 monitor which I don't think supports any widescreen resolutions. So it sounds like the PS3 MIGHT work with HDMI -> DVI on a widescreen monitor if it supported something similar to 720p?

Darn, hope someone tries this!

I'm looking to buy one of the HDMI/DVI cables from Monoprice, but I'm confused about which one to get. They have different AWG ratings. Which one is the best to get?

I looked on the back of my monitor's connections and it says "DVI-In (HDCP)"

So it should work right?

bread's done
Back