Dynex 46" 1080p 60hz LCD for $499 @ bestbuy

TallGuyMe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
433 (100%)
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9605116.p?id=1218131141989&skuId=9605116&st=dynex46&cp=1&lp=1

I have one of these in the bedroom and just bought another for the kids playroom. Don't let the off-brand name scare you away... this really is a great television with a really good picture (once you get the settings right), and for this price at 46" it's a fantastic deal.
dynex_lcd_televisions_dx46l150a1_lg.jpg

[quote name='Ed_']Thanx, u just made my co-worker's Christmas![/QUOTE]

cool... if you remind me, I'll PM you the settings I think are best for this particular television... there really was a big difference once they were tweaked from the factory defaults...

DaMonStEr, I tried PMing this to you, but it said your mailbox was full:

[quote name='DaMonStEr']I'm probably picking one up today and saw your suggestionnin the forums.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

obviously your eye may see things different than mine, but I felt that the following settings gave me the best picture

COLOR TEMP: Normal
Noise Reduction: Middle
Overscan: Off

I then adjusted the "Custom" setting with the following:

Contrast 50
Brightness 49
Color 45
Tint G2
Sharpness 40
Backlight 17

again, all of this is subjective, but give it a go and let me know what you think.

Obviously there are better 46" televisions out there but for the size, and that price, I think (hope) you'll be very happy.

For some reason color, tint, and sharpness are gray and I'm unable to select them. Any suggestiona?

[quote name='TallGuyMe']DaMonStEr, I tried PMing this to you, but it said your mailbox was full:

obviously your eye may see things different than mine, but I felt that the following settings gave me the best picture

COLOR TEMP: Normal
Noise Reduction: Middle
Overscan: Off

I then adjusted the "Custom" setting with the following:

Contrast 50
Brightness 49
Color 45
Tint G2
Sharpness 40
Backlight 17

again, all of this is subjective, but give it a go and let me know what you think.

Obviously there are better 46" televisions out there but for the size, and that price, I think (hope) you'll be very happy.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DaMonStEr']For some reason color, tint, and sharpness are gray and I'm unable to select them. Any suggestiona?[/QUOTE]

I spent about 1/2 hour with mine trying to duplicate your problem, and I couldn't. Are you sure you picked the "CUSTOM" tab? is it hooked up with an HDMI?

[quote name='DaMonStEr']For some reason color, tint, and sharpness are gray and I'm unable to select them. Any suggestiona?[/QUOTE]

Are you using HDMI? I am with my Xbox and those are also grayed out but with component cables hooked up just tint is grayed out.

[quote name='Punisher0587']Are you using HDMI? I am with my Xbox and those are also grayed out but with component cables hooked up just tint is grayed out.[/QUOTE]

Yea it is hooked up to my 360 with an hdmi. Sucks if I can change those settings with 360 cause that's what I primarily use for both gaming and netflix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[quote name='DaMonStEr']Yea it is hooked up to my 360 with an hdmi. Sucks if I can change those settings with 360 cause that's what I primarily use for both gaming and netflix.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

maybe you messed up on the initial settings and have it set for "retail" mode, vs "home" mode?

there should be an option to reset everything to factory defaults. I would try that and see where it gets you.

[quote name='TallGuyMe']maybe you messed up on the initial settings and have it set for "retail" mode, vs "home" mode?

there should be an option to reset everything to factory defaults. I would try that and see where it gets you.[/QUOTE]

Resetting to default didn't do anything for me. What do you mean by retail mode and home mode?

[quote name='Punisher0587']Resetting to default didn't do anything for me. What do you mean by retail mode and home mode?[/QUOTE]

in the initial setup you should have been prompted to select RETAIL mode (ie: settings specifically designed for the best look in a harshly lit environment that can't be fucked with by idiot shoppers) and HOME mode which gives you full customization.

Try unplugging it for 45 mins then plugging it back in, and see if it allows a deeper reset. If it doesn't work, I'm out of options, call the Dynex people. I didn't have any of these problems with my set. Sorry you are having so much grief with yours.

[quote name='TallGuyMe']in the initial setup you should have been prompted to select RETAIL mode (ie: settings specifically designed for the best look in a harshly lit environment that can't be fucked with by idiot shoppers) and HOME mode which gives you full customization.

Try unplugging it for 45 mins then plugging it back in, and see if it allows a deeper reset. If it doesn't work, I'm out of options, call the Dynex people. I didn't have any of these problems with my set. Sorry you are having so much grief with yours.[/QUOTE]

I tried unplugging it for 40 minutes, but it didn't work. I emailed dynex about the issue and will follow up in this thread when they answer.

Thanks for the help

[quote name='CaoPi']I don't know why people buy generic brands HD....[/QUOTE]

Because name brand with comparable specs is several hundred dollars more and not really guaranteed to be any better.

[quote name='coolsteel']Because name brand with comparable specs is several hundred dollars more and not really guaranteed to be any better.[/QUOTE]

:lol:, not any better? If not, I bet it will kick the bucket a few yrs down the road. Also if your into gaming visit avs forums and make sure the set has gaming mode, otherwise your gonna get lag on frame rates

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaoPi']:lol:, not any better? If not, I bet it will kick the bucket a few yrs down the road. Also if your into gaming visit avs forums and make sure the set has gaming mode, otherwise your gonna get lag on frame rates[/QUOTE]

You can get a two year warranty for $50 and renew it after two years, problem solved.

And I worked at sears and really other than proscan, there were not many issues at all with off-brand sets.

Some people still condsider vizio off brand, which is crazy, so I guess people have different perceptions.

[quote name='DaMonStEr']You can get a two year warranty for $50 and renew it after two years, problem solved.

And I worked at sears and really other than proscan, there were not many issues at all with off-brand sets.

Some people still condsider vizio off brand, which is crazy, so I guess people have different perceptions.[/QUOTE]

I have tried to tell people this thousands of times. Most TV's are made in the same exact factory the same exact way, and then branded with a different label. When you buy a dynex, you're probably saving $200 on the same TV that someone else bought because they liked the name, Samsung better. Most Tv's are like this, except for Sony and Sharpe. Those are worth the extra in my opinion.

Not just most TVs, but most electronics, in general. It amazes me how much people cling to names and are willing to pay hundreds more just for the name, when the actual products are very similar.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Not just most TVs, but most electronics, in general. It amazes me how much people cling to names and are willing to pay hundreds more just for the name, when the actual products are very similar.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. For example, my mother was contemplating purchasing the Westinghouse 40" 1080p LCD TV at Target for $300 yesterday, but didn't because she wasn't "crazy about the brand". Then, she showed me a Samsung at Best Buy with the EXACT SAME SPECS for $480 and was almost drooling over the "deal". Thankfully, I convinced her otherwise, and we are still HDTVless.

Um, name brand does matter for a reason. Just because Mercedes ownz Chrysler....DOES NOT MEAN THE CAR QUALITY IS THE SAME. Even if the parts came generally from the same factory.

There is such thing as IMAGE PROCESSING, which is very important when it comes to developing a beautiful picture. Some non name brand LCDs will have terrible color reproduction and what not. Now that Westinghouse LCD is pretty good because it technically isn't developed by Westinghouse (just like how the Zenith TVs at Kmart are developed by LG). However, you also have to worry about quality and support. If Dynex has virtually no support compared to Samsung, then you are screwed if you have a dead pixel.

Yes, today virutally all TVs have a base picture (compared to, say when the Xbox 360 came out). But name brand usually does matter.

Btw the westinghouse at target for $298 is fantastic, great crisp picture, sound was better than expected. Never really bought into that whole "quailty brand" thing so it was a no brainer plus my $230 gift cards. Was kinda worth the 3 hour wait....until it rained.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ELGFW551/15190106

For an extra 200 I like this deal better if you have the room. Then again as for name brand 2 years ago I bought a 40" LCD 720P Digital Lifestyles by Corion for $340. Back then this was a hell of a deal and the picture is great and have not had one issue with the tv. Brand does matter sometimes but often times the price is what makes your decision.

bread's done
Back