E-filing your taxes- how secure is it really?

CENNY

CAGiversary!
So it's tax time, and this is the first time I've thought about going the e-file route for us- always used traditional paper mailing with certified mail before. I know a lot of people do e-filing, so I thought why not check it out...

Turns out though, when I click through the links on the main IRS website, when it comes time to actually go to the "fillable forms" section (where you can put in your info and then electronically file it), they send you to another private website who then handle the return/submission. It even has a disclaimer from the main site just before you switch over, about the link taking you to a private website with its own privacy/security rules. I clicked and it took me to a site for a company called "Free File Alliance" which had the forms to fill in. I closed the window without setting up an account with the third party website.

So is this standard when e-filing? Personally, I don't know what to think. I had always assumed that e-filing was done through the main IRS site. Isn't that how it should work? For those of you who do e-file your taxes, do you feel comfortable giving your important financial information through a third party website? Do these third parties really keep your information (esp SSN number) safe and secure? Any opinions welcome...

Go directly to H&R Block online or TurboTax online. You're still e-filing, it's free if you're only using it for your federal return, it walks you through each part making it very easy, and finally its definitely secure.

I've e-filed the last 7 or so it seems like. I've never had a problem and never had a concern about it.

I have also never filed directly with the IRS, I either use Turbo Tax or (more recently) taxslayer.com. I got my very small refund plenty fast this year.

If you are using a site that the IRS sent you to it should be just as safe as any other online transaction. Sites like H&R Block, TurboTax, and TaxACT have been around for a while and if there were any problems, I am sure they would have been found out and reported on quickly.

I've been e-filing for over 10 years without problems. I have a CPA that does my taxes, however I did my girlfriend's taxes on taxact.com for $17 total this year. I recommend that.

OP, I don't see how you'd think it would be safer to file via paperwork. If anything that would be more of a risk since someone is clearly going to see a letter marked to the IRS and could open it, getting all of your personal info. Use a trusted e-filing website, such as Taxact, TurboTax online, or H&R block if you don't trust links directly off the IRS.gov website...

The IRS has a deal with the tax prep companies to let folks file through them instead of directly with the IRS. I have been e-filing for years and the site I used filed my state and fed taxes. Most charge a fee but it isn't much like the site I use charges 13 bucks to file the both.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
OP, I don't see how you'd think it would be safer to file via paperwork.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I just feel more secure with the old school way of sending in a return I guess. If I send it certified mail with the green "return receipt", it has a tracking number and they need to sign/stamp on the other end when they receive it, which is a good guarantee that my return will get there without any issues.

I'm just very careful with the SSN. The DMV, banks/credit card applications, taxes, those are the only places I feel comfortable using it. Thanks for the input though, I feel better about the e-filing thing after reading these replies. Anyone else skip over the free Tax software and just do the fillable forms method?

[quote name='CENNY']I dunno, I just feel more secure with the old school way of sending in a return I guess. If I send it certified mail with the green "return receipt", it has a tracking number and they need to sign/stamp on the other end when they receive it, which is a good guarantee that my return will get there without any issues.

I'm just very careful with the SSN. The DMV, banks/credit card applications, taxes, those are the only places I feel comfortable using it. Thanks for the input though, I feel better about the e-filing thing after reading these replies. Anyone else skip over the free Tax software and just do the fillable forms method?[/QUOTE]

:lol: Ah yes banks and credit cards companies, those never get hacked for personal data.

I use to file by mail but e-filing is a whole lot quicker and knowing how mail manages to get lost around here a lot safer.

[quote name='zionoverfire']:lol: Ah yes banks and credit cards companies[/QUOTE]

True, I guess I could have used a better word than "comfortable" with banks/credit cards. But you HAVE to give them your info if you want an account, card etc. You don't have a choice if you want to use those financial products.

Here, at least you have a choice which method to use depending on what you feel more comfortable with- direct mailing, or giving info through a third party.

But that said, I think after reading these replies I will try the e-file method. The more think about it, if it's a direct link from the IRS site, it has to check out, and has to be a secure method to submit the tax return.

People steal mail. There are plenty of dirty postal workers, return receipt or not...

You will also get your taxes back much faster when you efile. It took me less than 11 days to get both state and federal back.

My mom runs her own tax preparation company. She e-files everyone and has for years, she's never had any clients run into any problems.

bread's done
Back