E-Mail account just got hacked

FrankySox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
This morning I got up to find out my e-mail account had been hacked. I had about 7 e-mails from mailer return in my inbox, and 8 other messages in my sent folder. All of them contained only links to angel fire sites and some other sites.

I've never had any experience with something like this so I have several questions that hopefully some technical savvy Cags can help me with.

How did they hack my account, in other words did I do something to put myself at a higher degree of risk?

Can I expect my other online accounts (I have plenty, Credit Cards, forums, yahoo, etc.) to be compromised as well?

What steps do I need to take right now?

I changed my hotmail password but I'm sure that won't fix the problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Login from a phone or other PC and change the password on your email account, and on every account that uses the same password and/or email address.

Once that's done, start a malware sweep on your PC. I would recommend using malware bytes, avast, avg, and microsoft security essentials. Keep running each one until they don't find anything, then reboot and scan again. Also, don't run them at the same time.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Login from a phone or other PC and change the password on your email account, and on every account that uses the same password and/or email address.

Once that's done, start a malware sweep on your PC. I would recommend using malware bytes, avast, avg, and microsoft security essentials. Keep running each one until they don't find anything, then reboot and scan again. Also, don't run them at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Okay thanks I'll try that. I currently use McAfee so maybe I need to go with something else.

malware bytes is damn good shit i used it when my pc got screwd up by that fake windows vista security virus.

Yeah I used everyone of them and nothing was found. I'm not sure what the hell happened but all my accounts passwords have been changed and it looks like my e-mail was the only thing that was hacked. I guess I'll just keep an eye on everything and make sure it doesn't happen again unless I get some more suggestions.

bread's done
Back