E.T. Atari 2600 30th Anniversary Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simmias we'll have to agree to disagree. I am old enough to remember deep discounting but just barely. You've got some good points, we just disagree on the main conclusion.

The E.T. page with the reviews and emulation is quality. Thanks for posting.

Didn't expect this thread to make it this far after the initial pushback from posting about the Kickstarter here, but it's pretty obvious E.T. is controversial and interesting and very deserving of being our first Roasted Game. Thanks to those of y'all who have checked it out and for compliments both public and private.

We've got one final revision to the art (both ET and the wolves howling at the moon shirt on older Elliott are getting painted) but we're almost at 50% of our goal after just one day, which is awesome.

LOL, thanks for arguing with me, TheScore. I love talking about stuff like this. Good luck with your Kickstarter.

Edit: and there's a part of my argument that I'm rereading now that you could have totally eviscerated :)

As a kid I enjoyed this game. I honestly feel ET for the 2600 was probably over produced but damn....I also feel the 'suck' of this game was over blown.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Worst Kickstarter I've seen so far.[/QUOTE]

No need to hate. Took a look at your site - your art looks good. Like the Mega Man piece and the Cloud 9 one reminds me a lot of BioShock Infinite.

To be fair to our artist, who is gainfully employed for a video game studio as an illustrator, he's working on finishing the piece (with the revisions I described previously). Not going to stop us from launching the Kickstarter, though, as we knew the interest level would be high.

We're halfway to our goal already, with the art in its current state of progress. Just taken slightly aback at clicking to see who's saying something like this ... and finding another artist behind the post.

Stay tuned - we'll update this thread as we continue to make progress. Very excited.

EDIT: Actually, it was Gosha who's the artist. Nice work you've got there. Not sure what CaptainJoel does. LOL. Way too late to be on the forums. Until tomorrow...

[quote name='argyle']No, I don't think it's any kind of a deal period. I'm honestly baffled at why anyone would WANT this. I don't think I'd take it if it were given to me.[/QUOTE]

HAHA that is exactly what I was thinking.
If someone released the for xbla for 3 bucks I'd buy it though.

I agree that the art work on the poster itself looks crappy. I just don't like the overall idea of the piece as well either. Looks like some cut rate thrown together tshirt from some of these new design a day sites.

Also the pledge prices seems a little steep as well. I might have gone with 15 gets you a poster and 25 gets it signed, etc.

IMO, it seems like you started with a good idea but the actual execution fell short. Best of luck to you with this project though, I hope you attract the audience you are looking for.

[quote name='simmias']So you played E.T. when you were one? No wonder you couldn't figure it out.

Off the top of my head: the Swordquest series, Kaboom, the Smurfs game (but it was awesome on Colecovision), almost all sports games (but the RealSports games were awesome), Haunted House, Krull, the freaking Coke game... I could go on and on. Any 2600 game looks dated and awful years after the fact. When these games were coming out, we played them, liked them, and didn't know better.[/QUOTE]

I was going to mention Swordquest as one of the worst I've played. I'll also agree Smurfs for Colecovision was a great game. Ever played Cabbage Patch Kids? One of my favorite on Colecovision

The wolf t-shirt is a nice touch. Nothing against the people doing this, but for the people who would pay money for this "what is wrong with you?" LOL

Deadly Towers was terrible, but I think either Last Battle or Sword of Sodan on Sega Genesis is probably the worst. E.T. is certainly the most infamous, no doubt about it. And I DO remember it from back in the day (41 here). I never really liked it. But it wasn't horrible back then. The promotions for it were spectacular though, and I'm probably biased as ET was my first movie.

Definitely seems like it's a bit steep in price... The idea is cool but I can't feel the execution. I would have maybe focused even more on the "failure" aspect of it. Maybe put a landfill in the background (no I didn't read the whole thread or the revisions you speak of) or something like that. Then on the actual artwork it's not terrible but seems very inconsistent. ET is very sketch-like with shading and appearance while Elliot is much smoother. Then I'm sorry but Elliott looks nothing like himself (Henry Thomas), if I saw just him I'd have absolutely no clue who he was supposed to be.

With some more work and revisions (again didn't read what you said was happening) it can be much better. As of now not quite there yet. Get some more recognizable features in Elliot (lose the wolf shirt as well it's just distracting), either make Elliott more sketch-like or smooth out ET, then focus more on the failure aspect of it and it could turn out cool (from a fellow artist).

Sorry to be so critical but trying to give helpful constructive criticism...when something like this is put so far out there in the public it opens itself up to it.

Thanks for the input guys - the final revision will get it to the place some of y'all are describing, and we're fortunate to have gotten some backers from this actual thread, which is cool. Halfway to the goal!

The number of hits to the page has also been staggering. Going to lock the thread at this point until there's a more substantive update, but we're well on the way.

This is the first of many Roasted Games - satirized re-imaginings of in-game and box art of various past, present, and even fictional games. E.T. was just the perfect place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back