E3 2005 Nintendos Show Read

Snake2715

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
GameCube and Revolution could steal some of Microsoft's and Sony's thunder this May if Nintendo executes correctly. An IGNcube editorial.

By Matt Casamassina

February 10, 2005 - With the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005 in clear view, Nintendo has a lot of big decisions to make. What to show at the industry-shaking event, what to hold back, what to unveil in playable form and what to reveal on paper. If the company makes the right choices and spotlights more of its hand than it has in the past, it could deliver a surprise punch to the competition and create some thunder of its own. IGNcube editor-in-chief Matt Casamassina editorializes on the subject below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

E3 2005 in a Nutshell

Three months. That's all we have left. Not a lot of time, when you think about it, especially if you consider that the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005 is one of those rare E3s that come around only once every five years. If you're a geek and you've got connections, this is the E3 that you want to be at. In addition to new games for existing platforms, not one, not two, but an impressive three new consoles are expected to be unveiled at the big event. That's a lot of gawking. Microsoft will be on hand with the successor to Xbox 2, which is allegedly scheduled to launch later this year. Sony will come large with PlayStation 3, a console supposedly capable of displaying "Shrek 2-like" graphic quality, if you believe reports from the mainstream press -- incidentally, I don't. And Nintendo will finally show us Revolution, a machine it says will take gaming as we know it into a new direction and simultaneously grab a new audience.

Nintendo may have one of the most anticipated games of the year with Legend of Zelda in its bag of tricks, but that hasn't stopped the publisher from falling back into a spot it has claimed all its own for the last couple of years: the quiet underdog. Due to a general lack of talk about any of its future projects, Zelda and Revolution included, the industry has instead redirected its collective eyes on the companies who are talking: Microsoft and Sony. In Microsoft's case, the talk has oftentimes come from third-parties creating software for Xbox 2, a system codenamed everything from Xenon to Xbox 360 depending on what message board you happen to read on a daily basis. Publishers like Electronic Arts have leaked preliminary lists of games on the horizon for the system, and in turn fanboys have wept. Meanwhile, Microsoft shipped off Xbox 2 development kits to software houses last year and every developer working with the hardware is being told to shoot for a holiday release of this year. Naturally, word has gotten around.

Sony, on the other hand, has unveiled bits and pieces about PlayStation 3. We know that it's using a super-powerful processor called Cell. There's on average an article per week on this new processor alone. Tech junkies gush over the possibilities. In fact, I'm convinced that some journalists believe Cell could single-handedly unlock the secrets of time and space with room left over to cook your Sunday breakfast. And of course, Sony has also announced that PS3 will utilize the Blu-ray Disc format for playback of true, high-definition movies, which means that I'm going to buy the damn thing just so I can call my friends over, pop in a copy of Spider-Man 2, and say, "Look at that, huh? You can actually see each freckle on Mary Jane's face." I expect that nerds like myself everywhere will find certain bragging potential with Blu-ray technology, particularly since neither Xbox 2 nor Revolution are likely to feature similarly capable disc drives.

Whether it's all validated or just plain, old hype, gamers, developers and publishers alike seem to be onboard and buckled in for the ride on the Xbox 2 and PlayStation 3 trains. I can understand why the industry is already geared up for the release of Microsoft's next console: it'll be here before the end of the year. But PlayStation 3 is a 2006 product. If I had to place a bet on it, I'd put my money down on Nintendo shipping Revolution shortly before PS3. And yet, while Sony's new machine seems to make the papers every week, there's almost no talk at all about Nintendo's next platform outside of the hardcore fanbase. Just look at the recent unveiling of the survival horror game Condemned from Sega. It's coming to both Xbox 2 and PS3, but there's no mention of a Revolution version. The next-generation hasn't even begun and already Nintendo is getting the shaft. I'm left with the impression that the industry simply isn't anticipating Revolution as much as it is Xbox 2 and PS3. Which is a big problem for Nintendo and one that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Nintendo is taking baby steps. Developers tell me that meaty details on the console will be handed out at the upcoming Game Developers' Conference in March. Revolution development kits may be seeded at the same time, according to sources. But in an industry where perception is so important, Nintendo is much more likely to gain support when it publicly unveils the console at E3 this May.

It's not going to be an easy undertaking, as I see it. Nintendo has a juggling act to perform. Not only does it have to prove that Revolution is much more than a gimmick, but with top-tier competition nipping at its heels, it really has to knock one out of the park. Revolution has to deliver, period. And at the same time, the Big N's show can't be all about the next console, either. There is still a legion of GameCube owners who might think twice about staying with the platform if Nintendo chooses to downplay it at the big event. Somewhere in the middle is the company's success story. It couldn't hurt to keep the following suggestions in mind:

The Reggie-Lution Before the Revolution

It all comes back to image. Prior to last year's E3, Nintendo's executive vice president of sales and marketing Reginald Fils-Aime was just "the new guy." After the show, he was transformed into the publisher's personal rock star. The man has got a way with words and he's also got attitude. You're never entirely sure if he's going to shake your hand or bitch slap you. Perhaps for all of these reasons, Nintendo fans love him. With that in mind, Reggie is just the guy to deliver Nintendo's philosophy on GameCube in 2005 and Revolution in the years beyond. I feel dirty writing it, but it's true: as much as I respect company president Satoru Iwata, he's too nice and cheery for Nintendo's presentation; his style only reinforces Nintendo's unwitting image as a family-centric videogame maker. On the other hand, Reggie could sideline as a hitman if this NOA gig doesn't pay off. Let him strut his stuff at the event; he's a natural and gamers will eat it up.

Revolution Must Be Played, Not Seen

Never mind that both Microsoft and Sony will have playable versions of Xbox 2 and PS3 respectively on the show floor. Nintendo is with Revolution attempting to sell gamers on a different way of playing software. That being true, it would be an enormous mistake to detail this new gameplay dynamic on paper in lieu of actually letting people try it for themselves. If Nintendo really believes this new console is as revolutionary as it claims, the best move it could possibly make is to let those in the industry play it and spread the word. That's what it did with Nintendo DS at last year's show and as skeptical as some players initially were of the device, most of them were swayed over as soon as they got their hands on it and really soaked in what it was all about. If Nintendo ignores that, it may risk the chance to effectively convey its vision of the console to gamers. Just as importantly, the Revolution will undoubtedly take a backseat to the new platforms that are playable, and it won't easily recover.

No Sacrifices and No Gimmicks

People judge books by their covers. Cutting-edge graphics sell games. So unless Nintendo is exiting the technology-driven entertainment business with Revolution, the machine had better be capable of outputting visuals and audio worthy of a next-generation console. Or in other words, the publisher's new platform should be revolutionary, but not at the sacrifice of technology. To downplay presentation in favor of raw gameplay would be admirable, but also fiscally suicidal. Nintendo tried going back to its videogame roots with a remake of Pac-Man, which garnered little interest from gamers. Meanwhile, its graphically simplistic multiplayer title Legend of Zelda: The Four Swords was the worst selling Zelda game in recent memory. There are always a few exceptions to the rule, but in general, the prettier the game, the more interest it generates. Nintendo can't forget that.

Of equal importance, Revolution cannot be a gimmick. To be considered revolutionary, it has to deliver advancements and not mere alternatives. If there is a new control method in place, why? Is it really better than what we have already or just different? Is it necessary? Does it improve the gameplay experience or simply change it? Nintendo has to demonstrate how Revolution earned its codename. If it fails to do so, gamers may opt instead to stick with what works, enhancements over the previous generation of consoles from Microsoft and Sony.

Don't Talk About Games -- Show Them

Nintendo is famously tightlipped about its projects. Shigeru Miyamoto refused to show Super Mario Sunshine to the press for months prior to its release because he feared that competitors would copy its gameplay mechanics. Incidentally, none did.

If Nintendo wants to wow E3 2005 showgoers, there's really no way around it: it needs to show software. Doing so is simply the most effective way to generate interest for the platform. The more games it demonstrates, the more likely people will become intrigued by one or more titles and in turn want to buy the system. That's how it works and you can be damn sure it's what both Microsoft and Sony will be doing. I'm not suggesting that the Big N render 40-minute demos of each game. A two-minute clip showing off a dozen potential Revolution games would be enough to pique the certain interest of Nintendo fans, if not the industry as a whole. Sneak in a franchise or two and there will be cheers.

Nintendo Can't Forget its Fans

Revolution cannot be so drastically different that it alienates the die-hard Nintendo audience. The Big N must spotlight why the console also serves its current fanbase, even if it also caters to a new one. The process could be as simple as spotlighting some Revolution games based on recognizable franchises, like Metroid, Kid Icarus, or Super Punch-Out!!

Nintendo Can't Forget Third Parties or They'll Forget Revolution

It's already happening. Revolution is the mystery machine and therefore the industry is ignoring it. Nintendo needs to put an end to this oversight before it develops into a full-fledged problem -- one that could potentially stall Revolution sales well before they ever get started. There's no way the publisher can support a new platform by itself. One game every two months will not be enough for consumers. As a result, it needs to lure in third parties to develop for the console, too. And not only that, but for Revolution to be a big success, the platform requires third party exclusives. There's an upside or a downside here, depending upon how you look at it. If Revolution is as different as Nintendo says, it may prove incredibly difficult for developers to port over their multi-console games, which could be disastrous for the machine. On the other hand, if Nintendo actively seeks exclusives designed from the ground up for Revolution, even offering to fund some of the projects, the strategy could pay off in full, separating the console from the others and simultaneously giving players more reasons to pick it up.

E3 2005 is the perfect place for Nintendo to take the first step. Ready some exclusives from third parties and announce them to the world. Detail why these exclusives are only possible on Revolution. Show off a demo of a lucrative third party license from a big-name publisher. If three or four major third parties are on board from the start, most of the remaining publishers are certain to follow.

GameCube Needs Some Surprises

Reginald Fils-Aime recently told us that Nintendo has a "few other tricks up its sleeves" for 2005. The publisher needs to prove it at the May event. Although Revolution is sure to be a spotlight, GameCube shouldn't be tossed to the side. Nintendo would be wise to demonstrate to its fanbase that GCN continues to be a priority through 2005 by way of a couple of surprise titles. The Exile Interactive-developed Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball came out of nowhere. Clearly Nintendo can keep some secrets. But it needs to spill the beans this May if it really wants to keep GameCubers happy.

Mario 128 Must Be Shown

It could be for GameCube or Revolution. It really doesn't matter. Nintendo should spotlight the next installment in the Mario franchise regardless of what platform it's set to debut on. Gamers have waited for years to hear more information on the game. It's one of Nintendo's biggest assets. It's also bound to be a show-stealer. Debuting Mario's next outing could effectively do two things: reassure GameCube owners that the system has legs or send Revolution enthusiasts into hysterics. In addition, a new Mario game would bode well for Nintendo's E3 presence, which in turn would help the company's image as a continued contender in the industry.

Zelda Must Innovate, Not Replicate

The new Legend of Zelda for GameCube is widely regarded as the most anticipated game of the year. Some critics believe that it will be Nintendo's crowning achievement on its current-generation platform. There's a very strong chance that it will be in consideration for the Game of E3 category. No doubt, there's a lot of hype surrounding this one. Somehow, someway, Nintendo needs to make good on the game and deliver players a truly innovative new take on the Zelda franchise. To merely copy and paste the fundamental play mechanics, story, pacing and level designs prominent in Ocarina of Time and sprinkle in new graphics would be disappointing. If, on the other hand, the Big N can prove to players that Link's latest adventure has evolved over its predecessors, it could have in its booth a game that garners nearly as much industry interest as the unveiling of the next-generation consoles, a nearly incomprehensible feat.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/587/587028p1.html

i say reggie (mr. kick ass and take names) is realy stearing nintendo in the right direction. I am so glad the way nintendo is handling everything now. They make me happy :) (and I still as of yet don't own a gamecube... a damn shame)

Good article. Pretty much everything Matt says is true, I just hope the big N has the guts to actually do it.

I want to see them make the Revolution playable, but I'm afraid we'll get some vague info and maybe a video reel.

He has some good points. They need to release the info on the franchise games piecemeal, though. One big problem Nintendo has is being perceived as just relying too much on Mario and Zelda to make sales. I like the idea of popping up a new franchise to milk, but put something totally new out there that will instantly garner interest. Also, something has to be done to really wow the mainstream press. Last year's E3 seemed to be a huge success for Nintendo on the "gamer" website world, and I would say they bested Sony and Microsoft in most opinions. That being said, the mainstream press threw in the Nintendo details at the end of each article about E3.

Interesting points. Cant wait to head to this years E3. :D Its gonna be a blast. I really, really hope that Nintendo shows off everything revolution can do at the event...With GAMES.

And Mario 128..Nearly forgot about that one. :D

bread's done
Back