EA again have f'd me with Mass Effect 2

stoned99

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
ok I'm pissed, yet again EA are trying to rob me blind.

Why is the DLC for Mass Effect 2 only allowed for the account that "registers" it. I have two kids who share the same xbox with their own xbla accounts (thanks MS for forcing me to pay twice).

Why is DLC downloaded on my XBL account not available to other family members who use the same xbox, this is BS. All other DLC for all other games is. What really pisses me off the most is my poor son, who plays the games the most is the person being penalized. He has no access to the cerebus network, which if you're listening EA guarantees I "WILL NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING" for this game EVER, if I cannot at least share it with my own family members.

I plan on posting this info everywhere I can and hopefully EA's penny pinching BS will be announced to the world.

That is exceptionally lame. However I have to ask, why would you get 2 live accounts? The amount of splitscreen games with live is minuscule at best. I can only think of Halo which allows for a guest and Gears of War which I doubt kids are playing.

Boo Hoo......just spend the points and activate the network on his profile. It is EA's way to make money even after the game is sold second hand. Yeah, EA is a big ole asshole but at the end of the day can you blame them? GS makes a shitload off used games sales and I dont think there is anything wrong with EA trying to jump on that bandwagon. I think it is 10 times better than the way they have dealt with DLC in the past.

[quote name='Malik112099']Boo Hoo......just spend the points and activate the network on his profile. It is EA's way to make money even after the game is sold second hand. Yeah, EA is a big ole asshole but at the end of the day can you blame them? GS makes a shitload off used games sales and I dont think there is anything wrong with EA trying to jump on that bandwagon. I think it is 10 times better than the way they have dealt with DLC in the past.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read the OP? He bought it new.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Did you even read the OP? He bought it new.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read it. He bought it new and activated the network on one profile and now wants it on another. That is technically second hand and he would need to spend the points to activate it on the other account (which I tell him to do).

So yeah, get over it. Still waaaaaaaay better than the way EA has been handling DLC.

I thought any DL'd DLC was available for all users on the Xbox as long as the Xbox is connected to live (since DLC is technically licensed to the console)...unless it's just an EA thing?

[quote name='moojuice']I thought any DL'd DLC was available for all users on the Xbox as long as the Xbox is connected to live (since DLC is technically licensed to the console)...unless it's just an EA thing?[/QUOTE]

yea with EA's new game it is tie to gametag

I have to agree with the OP. The whole EA account thing is very buggy; don't fucking dare to change your EA account after you have played a game online or you will have connectivity problems forever after that.

And MS/EA, it's bad enough that you make us pay for multiple accounts because it's a pain in the ass to use one account on two machines (no, my wife does not want to mess around with memory cards just so she can watch a Netflix movie on the downstairs TV). At least let us have free sub-accounts so our kids can play online without getting messaged by each other's or my friends.

[quote name='drktrpr1']Wow, it's not like you can't have two separate profiles on Mass Effect 2.

Didn't think of that, I guess.[/QUOTE]

Uhhh ..... yeah, but he's already paid $50 for a second account so his son can have his own friends list, achievements, etc. I guess if those things are worthless then Microsoft should make XBL free.

PSN gives you downloads to 5 machines. Steam gives you downloads to multiple machines even in different locations. Gametap gives you sub-accounts. But MS/EA think that the only "pay extra for service" system should provide less?

Looks like some of yall didn't have siblings. His kids most likely don't want to share a gamertag. I wouldn't have wanted my brothers friends messaging me or my little sister annoying my friends. Put yourself back to that age and the problem is very real.

I am not at all shocked EA has figured out a way to try and suck more money money out of us for DLC.

If I had a borther or sister I would have hated to share an account with them when I was younger. Hell at 25 if I had kids depending on their age I would let them have their own account maybe even their own 360. I would be really mad that they would have to buy the card and have to pay for another year of live if they had their own account and all of it was on one 360. I can understand if it was another 360 but all on the same system. That is really fucked up. If it wasn't for the used game market we might not have the issue with the card. However it is EA so we still might have it if buying used was not so big.

do this, sign on to xbl with your gamertag then on a 2nd controller have your son sign on and play so the 1st player stays idle and your son should be able to have access to the dlc or anything else. it sucks that microsoft/ea do that shit and it's gotten out of hand. After 5 years and so much $ spent i've taken a step back with the 360 and staying with ps3 for now for reasons like this. oh yeah, try to do a license transfer. good luck

You can log in with someone elses account, but you then don't earn achievements on your own account, and many people like achievements. But then I blame Microsoft for this mess, as paying for online play is entirely their fault, and that's the main source of this problem. EA's piling on.

[quote name='stoned99']ok I'm pissed, yet again EA are trying to rob me blind.

Why is the DLC for Mass Effect 2 only allowed for the account that "registers" it. I have two kids who share the same xbox with their own xbla accounts (thanks MS for forcing me to pay twice).

[/QUOTE]

Dude, that is such GARBAGE. Are you sure it isn't some sort of glitch? I have Dragon Age for the PS3 and all the DLC I purchased worked across all accounts. It doesn't make sense for EA to suddenly change how DLC is shared on a system.

When your kids start up Mass Effect 2, do they sign into the Cerberus Network using the same EA account info that you registered the DLC on? If this DLC is really tied to gamertag AND EA account info, that is complete and utter GARBAGE. If you haven't tried the Cerberus Network ID thing, I would suggest calling EA and bitching them out just enough to get some sort of credit or a viable explanation (there is none). Good luck.

delete if from your hard drive then login to xbox.com and download it from your history. I had to do this for Dragon Age DLC because content was not usable unless connected to Xbox live otherwise.

It may be a bug, because DLC is supposed to work for the console that you downloaded it on. Like Indie games, etc.

On the "plus" side, the character from the DLC is the worst in the game, and the DLC mission is the worst side mission. I was shocked about how bad the Normandy mission was.

I really think/hope this is a bug. It should not be working like this and I would be surprised if Microsoft intended/allowed it to work this way.

IT ISNT A BUG PEOPLE! When you put the code in online you have to have already tied your gamertag to the EA account. This DLC is meant only for YOUR gamertag.

ONCE AGAIN. This is so EA can make money off used copies of the game. Get over it. If you like the game that much it is worth the 1200 pts (or whatever it is) to get the DLC for a different gamertag.

I understand we are on cheap ass gamer but the crying about bullshit is starting to get out of control.

[quote name='wakawakawa']
On the "plus" side, the character from the DLC is the worst in the game, and the DLC mission is the worst side mission. I was shocked about how bad the Normandy mission was.[/QUOTE]

The character's loyalty mission was decent though.

But yeah, the character is nothing special, and the Normandy mission was terrible. So I'd say it's not worth the 1200 points if you buy it used etc. Unless they have more free DLC through it down the road.

I had thought that the Cerberus Card granted future DLC to those who had it; which would be the benefit of actually purchasing it. Really, I like the idea of just paying once for a gateway into future DLC for the games that I purchase. Instead of having to be nickel and dime'd every time something new comes out. It'd be pretty revolutionary if it became successful.

Really sucks about the situation, OP. I guess there just isn't a way to win with these sorts of things.

[quote name='Malik112099']IT ISNT A BUG PEOPLE! When you put the code in online you have to have already tied your gamertag to the EA account. This DLC is meant only for YOUR gamertag.

ONCE AGAIN. This is so EA can make money off used copies of the game. Get over it. If you like the game that much it is worth the 1200 pts (or whatever it is) to get the DLC for a different gamertag.

I understand we are on cheap ass gamer but the crying about bullshit is starting to get out of control.[/QUOTE]

You know, I can't really understand why you think it is ok for EA to charge extra for DLC on the same console, but that's your perogative.

I do suggest you lose your attitude because it really isn't very endearing to people when you go around calling them crybabies or whatever. But you strike me as someone that might not be terribly concerned with that. Again, your choice, but just making a suggestion.

I'm sure you can at the very least agree that it is kind of iffy to charge someone multiple times for add-on content when they've purchased the original product brand new. I want EA and Bioware to make money too, but they need to be a little more flexible when it comes to their paying customers. This just strikes me as a slap in the face to someone that is supporting the company.

I do agree that they should have tied it to the console somehow rather than the gamer tag, as you do often have multiple gamertags on a console (kids, roommates etc.).

I have no problems with it being a one time use code, as developers/publishers need someone to compete with the used game market. But they could do something to help those with multiple gamertags on one console who buy the game new.

I spent 2 hours on hold with EA support last week to clear up an issue with my DA and ME2 DLC. Apparently I had 2 Bioware Social Network accounts, and they each had different DLC. Once I finally got through to someone, she was able to combine the DLC into one main account. I had tried to do this over the live chat support they offer, but needless to say that didn't go too well.

So if you are reading this, EA Support person named Jenny, thanks again for your help! =)

[quote name='Malik112099']I understand we are on cheap ass gamer but the crying about bullshit is starting to get out of control.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the same goes for people crying about other people crying about bullshit. :roll:

[quote name='James1221']if it means anything the added stuff like zaaed is pretty much pointless. I never use him and never plan on it.[/QUOTE]
really? he's got a nice power that explodes the bad guys

[quote name='Malik112099']
I understand we are on cheap ass gamer but the crying about bullshit is starting to get out of control.[/QUOTE]

then stop crying about people having a conversation. problem solved ;)

OP, have you tried to see if the DLC shows up on the other account?

I ask this because my brother used the cerberus code on his account, but when I log into my own gamertag and play the game I still got access to all the DLC he had (normandy crash site, zaeed, bonus armor). The trick is that I still can't technically "log into" the cerberus network, but since the DLC is all on the same xbox I can use it.

This is actually a popular workaround that was discovered on the gamefaqs forums for people who linked their cerberus account to the wrong gamertag during registration.

I'd reccomend playing up to the point where shepard can check his armor to see if the DLC shows up. If it doesn't, try deleting and redownloading everything. Should work like a charm.

[quote name='Dasflikko']You know, I can't really understand why you think it is ok for EA to charge extra for DLC on the same console, but that's your perogative.[/QUOTE]

I never said it was ok. That is how it is. Plain and simple. One cerberus card per gamertag. Instead of dealing with it people bitch and moan and start saying it must be a bug. It isn't. What is so hard to grasp about that?

[quote name='Dasflikko']I do suggest you lose your attitude because it really isn't very endearing to people when you go around calling them crybabies or whatever.[/QUOTE]

..|..

[quote name='Malik112099']I never said it was ok. That is how it is. Plain and simple. One cerberus card per gamertag. Instead of dealing with it people bitch and moan and start saying it must be a bug. It isn't. What is so hard to grasp about that?
[/QUOTE]

People asking if it was a bug just didn't know the situation. No reason to be so rude to them, Mr. Internet Toughguy.

And people shouldn't just deal with it. It sucks for people who have multiple people with their own gamertags on one X-box. People should bitch about it. Though e-mailing EA/bioware (or calling) is a better route than ranting on a forum.

If people just deal with stuff, companies are free to bend customers over with stuff like that.

I support companies doing stuff to compete with the used game market (even though I get most of my games off of Goozex), but they should be very careful to not punish people who do buy a new copy with stuff like this.

I lol'd at the OP saying MS forced him to buy 2 Live accounts.

Perfect opportunity to teach kids about sharing? Also, what's wrong with having each kid make their own save file under the one profile that has Cerberus access?

[quote name='lolwut?']
Perfect opportunity to teach kids about sharing? Also, what's wrong with having each kid make their own save file under the one profile that has Cerberus access?[/QUOTE]

So they can each get achievements on their own gamertags?

I did that with my roommate before I moved. I had my gold account and he had his silver profile so he could get achievements etc. and move it over to his 360 if he ever gets around to buying one. Plus it was needed for Gears 2 co-op etc. as you have to sign in to play.

Well the OP didn't say anything about achievements, and I thought most people didn't care about them, but I mean it's a choice they'd have to make; achievements, or shitty, tacked on DLC missions.

I can see why someone might be mad at EA for doing the things the way they did, but profit is profit, and I remember reading about the Cerberus Network and how it was doing to work before the game came out, so it couldn't have been a complete shock. At the very least, the code could've been redeemed for "the son that plays games the most."

Yeah, but most people aren't that informed. I loved the first game and wanted to avoid all spoilers so I really read pretty much nothing about the game pre-release.

So even I had no idea about the Cerberus network. First I heard of it was when I opened the case and saw the card.

I don't think it's a huge deal, but I can see why people get upset. I don't care much about achievements, but it's folly to say that most people don't care about them. I'd say more people probably care to some mild extent at least than don't care at all. Probably especially for kids who compare gamerscore etc.

[quote name='kona']OP, have you tried to see if the DLC shows up on the other account?

I ask this because my brother used the cerberus code on his account, but when I log into my own gamertag and play the game I still got access to all the DLC he had (normandy crash site, zaeed, bonus armor). The trick is that I still can't technically "log into" the cerberus network, but since the DLC is all on the same xbox I can use it.

This is actually a popular workaround that was discovered on the gamefaqs forums for people who linked their cerberus account to the wrong gamertag during registration.

I'd reccomend playing up to the point where shepard can check his armor to see if the DLC shows up. If it doesn't, try deleting and redownloading everything. Should work like a charm.[/QUOTE]
I was just about to say the same thing. The DLC should still appear in-game, you just don't get to access the Cerebus network. I downloaded the DLC through my gamertag, but my brother's gamertag got access to it as well. So... the only problem would be is that you can't access the Cerebus network with other gamertags besides yours... not that much of a problem IMO.

As others have said, the content is still is there and can be used by anyone. You just can't "log in" to the Cerberus Network. This is a non-issue.

Yeah, if that's a case it's a non issue as access to the content is all that matters. The cerberus network is just a nuisance that takes a few seconds to load on start up to just show some stupid message. Unless it changes in the future, it's nothing to worry about if you have access to the DLC on multiple gamertags.

bread's done
Back