EA developer slams PS3 design

Personally, I couldn't care less if EA made another game for the PS3 because I don't buy their games but I could see how it could hurt the PS3 if Madden wasn't coming out for it, even at only 30fps. I never thought I would see the day when I disliked EA even more but I here it is.

Meanwhile plenty of other developers are fine with developing on the PS3 once they learn it.

You know the real problem? A Microsoft exec is now working at EA, probably spreading some influence.

And number 2, RA treats their developers like cattle, which doesn't make one that interested in learning anything new.

[quote name='Vanigan']Meanwhile plenty of other developers are fine with developing on the PS3 once they learn it.

You know the real problem? A Microsoft exec is now working at EA, probably spreading some influence.

And number 2, RA treats their developers like cattle, which doesn't make one that interested in learning anything new.[/quote]

I don't think Peter Moore has anything to do with it, as he just got on and their games sucked for the PS3 before hand. EA is just lazy and doesn't want to take time to learn the ps3 or devote resources to learn it so of course they bash the system. I think they should ask Capcom, Infinity Ward, and Epic how much the PS3 sucks. :roll:

yep, another game blog taking something out of context and blowing it up for hits.

Title of the article: EA Slams PS3, Saying Its Tools "Just Suck"

Heart of the matter: "It will change in the future, but for now it sucks.”

Meh, don't particularly care about EA as a developer or blogs.

I wish there were more I could play on my PS3 though...

oh well, back to Persona 3.

EA is absolutely rediculous, I used to think they were pretty good developers but they're abosolutely rediculous... that's why I'm not buying EA... gonna buy NBA 2K8... I'm sure its difficult, but PS3 fans, are EA fans, and we want the best from EA... but if they're going to complain and talk trash why should we invest in them.

my friend who works at EA says the ps3 is actually a pain to develope for. something about it having multiple specialized cores each with its own memory handling - he explained to me but i just got confused heh.

also the fact that most libraries aren't multithreaded AND most programmers don't even know how to code multi-threads properly probably means ps3, PC and other multicore platform games are going to take awhile to reach full stride.

he told me most PC games out now that are "multithreaded" all they do is just put the game in 1 thread and the music/sound fx in the other lol! he says one of the only games thats really multithreaded is supreme commander (total annihilation 2)

[quote name='Apossum']Heart of the matter: "It will change in the future, but for now it sucks.”[/quote]

qft. PS3's multi-core architecture means either developers need to work harder/become better at multithreaded programming, or Sony needs to simplify and/or expand on it's tools so there are more PS3-specific libraries for programmers to work with. Either way, the real issue is time and how long it will take for that to happen.

And yeah, ya gotta take the blog-o-sphere with a hearty grain of salt...

lmfao.gif
fuck you too EA!

Garbage in garbage out... garbage in garbage out. xD

This CAgster slams EA for releasing sequel after sequel with only marginal improvement.

C'mon with a track record like the Madden series, Live, NHL, Fifa, Tiger Woods, NBA Steet, NFL Steet, FIFA Street; I'm pointing the finger at EA to innovate, not regurgitate.

Most EA reviews can be condensed to nine words,:"Same as last year, but with a few tweaks."

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']

Most EA reviews can be condensed to nine words,:"Same as last year, but with a few tweaks."[/QUOTE]

but are expanded to full reviews with some nice advertiser money.

I rarely buy EA games, but news still concerns me. EA brings in millions of game sales a year, and their support of the PS3 has a big influence on how well it will do. A more successful PS3 means I get more for my money.

With that said, I doubt the majority of casuals who buy their products will notice the difference between 60FPS and 30FPS. The only real problem occurs when PS3 versions of titles start getting delayed. That, in my opinion, would definitely hurt the PS3 and, ultimately, the $600 I've invested into it.

I don't understand why everyone is getting upset about it...Most developers have stated that the ps3 is the most difficult to develope for and sony doesn't help out as much as msft in harnassing the hardware. So EA says it and it is fuck ea? Last I checked there really hasn't been a game that has really used the ps3 to its potential at this time, and most of the games have been shitty ports ( and not all of them were done by ea)

It seemed like this is more an issue of porting titles from 360 to PS3 rather than ground-up PS3 development. I wonder if it would be easier if they started work on the PS3 version and ported over to the 360. Of course EA has already come out and said they are going to focus on completing the 360 version (understandly so from a potential sales point of view), but still.

Nonetheless, this sounds more like someone blowing off steam rather than an indictment with any real long-term ramifications.

[quote name='Purkeynator']why does everyone in this thread spell "develop" with an "e" at the end?[/quote]

lmao i always thought it was develope

>.<

learn something new everyday

One of the major issues is that you're hearing from EA the developer, not EA the publisher, keep in mind that EA has gobbled up quite a few smaller devs and it's the core EA devs (the Madden, Tiger Woods, NBA, etc.) that are seeing the issues because the build off of previous code.

Now that the newer SDK is out I'm sure this will make a vast improvement over the development. If not, eventually there will be middleware to come out to remove much of the painful processing .... we saw this at the beginning of the PS2 and look at how many games THAT system has.

[quote name='Vanigan']Meanwhile plenty of other developers are fine with developing on the PS3 once they learn it.

[/QUOTE]

Or they just dont' have much incentive to learn it when it has, and will always have this gen, the smallest installed base.

[quote name='Achilles']lmao i always thought it was develope

>.<

learn something new everyday[/quote]

I think people think "envelope" when they try to spell develop.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Look at this:
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/tigerwoodspgatour08/review.html

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/tigerwoodspgatour08/review.html?sid=6177873

Tiger Woods 08 better on PS3.[/QUOTE]

So the game's slightly less mediocre on PS3, thanks in part to a screw up that can (and most likely will) be fixed via a quick patch. Hurrah?

As for the OP: "meh". Playstation systems are hard to develop for. This is has been a known fact for the last 10 years. It's a good thing someone at EA finally took notice. I guess all it took was there usual cash cow drying up . . .

[quote name='jling84']I think people think "envelope" when they try to spell develop.[/quote]
I could see this, and with our language being so f***ed up that makes sense too. Envelope has a hard OH sound because of the e at the end, develop has a soft AH sound, hence no e on the end.

Here ends todays spelling/grammar lesson.

Edit: Sorry, couldn't resist, this is stuff I'm going over with my 1st grader so this crap is in my face every night.

Actually, both the verb and noun are spelled the same way, although "envelope" the noun has a long "o" and "envelope" the verb has the short "o" (and rhymes with "develop")--buy I think we are giving CAGs way too much credit assigning their misspelling of "develop" to this. I doubt they think about it that much, and all of the misuse of "their/they're/there" (among other words) seems to confirm that there is little thought that goes into CAG spelling.

its like the famous "word" ghoti... pronounced fish..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

but back to playstation being hard to develop for.. do you think its because the first launch SDK's are always in japanese?? or is it because sony developer support is an oxymoron? lolo

bread's done
Back