EA Insider Deal (live at 8EST/500 likes): 70% Off DS2, Bullestorm, Crysis, BF:Vietnam

Nice but I prefer deals that start when said action occurs instead of a set start time that always results in system lockdown and errors.

Excellent! I'm going to pick this up since I'm having issues buying it from D2D. It should be cheaper from origin.

I was about to get a bit upset cause I just bought Bulletstorm and DS2 from their 40% off sale for PS3. Since these are PC only and a timed deal I'm not so mad. I always seem to miss the timed deals and I don't want PC versions.

I'll probably get Dead Space 2. I recently picked up the first and I imagine I won't find a better deal anytime soon. Surprisingly it's an Origin sale with the best price.

Wish this didn't have to be Origin. 70% off Crysis 2 would bring it to $18, and 70% off Bulletstorm would bring it to $9. Unfortunately it's Origin so not sure if I wanna do it or not. Don't think they'll be any cheaper on another site anytime soon though.

Thanks for the post OP.

[quote name='ferrari91169']Wish this didn't have to be Origin. 70% off Crysis 2 would bring it to $18, and 70% off Bulletstorm would bring it to $9. Unfortunately it's Origin so not sure if I wanna do it or not. Don't think they'll be any cheaper on another site anytime soon though.

Thanks for the post OP.[/QUOTE]

It's not like you have to use Origin to play the games. You just purchase and install through it and launch the exe on it's own. It doesn't have to be running in the background or anything.

Unless you're just bummed it's PC only. but they did have a console sale a week or 2 ago.

[quote name='The Nephilim']It's not like you have to use Origin to play the games. You just purchase and install through it and launch the exe on it's own. It doesn't have to be running in the background or anything.

Unless you're just bummed it's PC only. but they did have a console sale a week or 2 ago.[/QUOTE]

No, I get that. It's some of the things I've read in the past in Origin's TOS that make me uneasy about using it. Perfectly happy it's on PC, would prefer them both on PC. But I've seen in the past that you are only guaranteed access to items you purchase for one year, and after that, your license can be revoked. And also, if you don't sign-in to Origin for a 2-year period, your account and all items you've purchased may be canceled.

I know signing in once a year or so isn't hard to do...still, both of those things make me tend to avoid Origin for now. This deal might be too good to pass up though.

Figures that I just bought the BF3 deal with "free" Dead Space 2 last night. Grrrr.

The crybabies about Origin need to STFFU! "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! It's not Steam!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Steam 4evuh!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! Steamy Steam Steamness Steam Steam Steam!!!!" Spare me.

[quote name='giantqtipz']I got excited but then read its PC only... Killed my boner[/QUOTE]

lmao I did the same thing...woulda bit on Bulletstorm

[quote name='ferrari91169']No, I get that. It's some of the things I've read in the past in Origin's TOS that make me uneasy about using it. Perfectly happy it's on PC, would prefer them both on PC. But I've seen in the past that you are only guaranteed access to items you purchase for one year, and after that, your license can be revoked. And also, if you don't sign-in to Origin for a 2-year period, your account and all items you've purchased may be canceled.

I know signing in once a year or so isn't hard to do...still, both of those things make me tend to avoid Origin for now. This deal might be too good to pass up though.[/QUOTE]

They have since clarified this. Only people that don't have any paid entitlements are subject to this.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69580/ea-inactive-origin-accounts-wont-be-deleted

Does anyone know what kind of DRM is typically present on Origin titles? Or rather, in Bulletstorm? With all the sales EA has been doing, I'm not entirely opposed to using Origin as long as it's not cluttered with extra crap being installed on my system.

I know that the game is GFWL enabled, but is that the only extra DRM i'd be seeing?

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Does anyone know what kind of DRM is typically present on Origin titles? Or rather, in Bulletstorm? With all the sales EA has been doing, I'm not entirely opposed to using Origin as long as it's not cluttered with extra crap being installed on my system.

I know that the game is GFWL enabled, but is that the only extra DRM i'd be seeing?[/QUOTE]

For all of the games I have(I have Bulletstorm on Origin), it works like an installer. After that you can run it if you want. It's nicer than Steam in that regard, you can run the game without Origin in the background.

The only game that I have played that worked differently was the Battlefield 3 Alpha which ran in Origin all the time, so it may eventually be that certain games require it but none that are out now that I know of.

[quote name='bdb2m']For all of the games I have(I have Bulletstorm on Origin), it works like an installer. After that you can run it if you want. It's nicer than Steam in that regard, you can run the game without Origin in the background. [/QUOTE]

I understand that it's an installer, but am wondering if it's like GOG (you get an installer with absolutely 0 drm) or if it also installs background programs/services to "help" with the whole anti-piracy thing. (For example, isn't SecuROM installed on systems when a game in question uses it?)

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']I understand that it's an installer, but am wondering if it's like GOG (you get an installer with absolutely 0 drm) or if it also installs background programs/services to "help" with the whole anti-piracy thing. (For example, isn't SecuROM installed on systems when a game in question uses it?)[/QUOTE]

Right. Origin is an installer for current games that only runs if you open the game with it. You have to use it as an installer but beyond that you can delete Origin off of your system if you want. There are no background processes related to Origin when I run Bulletstorm from the start menu.

[quote name='bdb2m']Right. Origin is an installer for current games that only runs if you open the game with it. You have to use it as an installer but beyond that you can delete Origin off of your system if you want. There are no background processes related to Origin when I run Bulletstorm from the start menu.[/QUOTE]

Except that Bulletstorm uses GFWL DRM, of course.

[quote name='bdb2m']Right. Origin is an installer for current games that only runs if you open the game with it. You have to use it as an installer but beyond that you can delete Origin off of your system if you want. There are no background processes related to Origin when I run Bulletstorm from the start menu.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Wasn't actually Origin DRM I was referring to. I was mostly wondering if any 3rd party (non Origin) DRM other than GFWL would be installed. It's something you still see happening occasionally over on Steam, where a title will have limited installs / background services installed (not related to Steam or Valve) even though Steam is already handling the majority of its DRM.

Anyway, for those curious it appears Bulletstorm uses GFWL as its primary and only DRM setup, with (apparently) unlimited activations. Internet connection is -not- required to be constantly on to play.

Might just get Bulletstorm and if I can get 6 hours for $9, I'll be happy, although still under my $1/hr =) GFWL means I can get some achievements for my epeen too. lulz.

I've been holding out on Dead Space 2 for the PC sub $10 (beat the 360 version, but love the franchise so much..why not), let's see if I can actually snag a copy of it!

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']How's Bulletstorm's replay value? Dunno if I'm too interested in a one-time-play kind of game.[/QUOTE]

The only replay value is replaying through segments (Echoes mode, iirc) in a score attack system to try and get a better score than friends or other peeps on the leaderboards. From what I understand, there's also a Hordes esque waves based multiplayer co-op mode.

So in essence aside from a small(ish) co-op mode, there's not much incentive for replay unless you are an Arcade style gamer who likes big shiny numbers. (I know I do. :D )

I forget why is there so much hate on pc games here?
theres nothing like feeling in complete control of the game with mouse and keyboard, pulling off headshots left and right
not mention running the games natively at 1900x1200 or higher

[quote name='Animefalcon']I forget why is there so much hate on pc games here?
theres nothing like feeling in complete control of the game with mouse and keyboard, pulling off headshots left and right
not mention running the games natively at 1900x1200 or higher[/QUOTE]

PC games can be had for super cheap too.

For some, it's likely due to the fact that they prefer to be able to beat a game and trade it away as quickly as possible, for either profit or as small of net loss as possible. I guess especially so for a game with little replay value such as this. So, digital PC deals being untradeable is less appealing to that particular crowd.

There are obviously plenty of other reasons, such as some people being exclusively console gamers or preferring to play certain games on consoles. Then there is the purchase digital games on Steam only crowd.

I for one started out as wanting a great deal on a 360 copy for Bulletstorm, but I'm realizing more and more how great it would be to have a mouse for the skillshot system in that game. And this being a second (potentially) great deal on Bullestorm for PC in the past week, it's definitely hard to resist.

Maybe we have a lot of younger age members who are typically big console gamers. Although PC gaming always has ups and downs of new users, it's still mainly us older nerds :)

I just downloaded the demo of Bulletstorm on steam to try it out. I tried playing it with my Xbox controller but a controller is way too slow for that game way easier to rack up combos and skills with mouse and keyboard. I can't imagine playing this game on a console to it's fullest. How long is the campaign for Bulletstorm? Thinking about picking that one up. Demo was really short, just 1 level but looks like it could be a lot of fun. Probably what Duke Nukem should have been.

Code is live - ds2c2bsbcv . Only seems to work w/one title though (IE Bulletstorm and Dead Space 2 in the cart, only one drops to $9).

bread's done
Back