EA puts an end to its Online Pass program IS IT TRUE?!?

EA has been far too anti-consumer to believe this is the whole story.

I'll believe it's all roses and lollipops when I see it.

Yeah they are removing online passes to most likely put forth a new CD key like system (as Scorch said) IE used games will not work on next gen consoles from some publishers - notably EA in this case. Notice how Sony said they won't block used games but that it would be up to the publisher. I'm sure the same will be for the next xbox games.

Can't wait till that reveal on Tuesday...

I'm guessing the systems will allow publishers to have activation keys on the disc so they, the manufacturer can wipe their hands clean of it. So, expect EA to take full advantage of it, because with this, their crusade against used games is their crowning achievement of shit.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']They are removing online passes and replacing it with this: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...lding-microtransactions-into-all-future-games

"Electronic Arts Building Microtransactions Into All Future Games"

"We are building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way; to get to a higher level," he explained.
And consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of business." :roll:
[/QUOTE]

I didn't really care of the online passes since I don't play games online all that much, but microtransactions could become pretty annoying.

Can't beat a boss? Buy a microtransacation of a ingame help cheat to beat it for you!
EA power to the gamerz!

[quote name='GUNNM']Can't beat a boss? Buy a microtransacation of a ingame help cheat to beat it for you!
EA power to the gamerz![/QUOTE]

I can't wait until they effectively make it impossible to progress in a game without paying extra. Eff this noise.

The big question for me is now what happens to multiplayer on all the games that currently have passes, if we buy a game without a pass now do we get to play online, or do we still have to pay for a pass.

I am sure they are cooking up something that will take much more money from the consumer than an online pass. I am foreseeing that the next gen of consoles will probably become heavily microtransaction based except we will be paying $60-70 per game and then for microtransactions after that.

[quote name='SaraAB']The big question for me is now what happens to multiplayer on all the games that currently have passes, if we buy a game without a pass now do we get to play online, or do we still have to pay for a pass.[/QUOTE]

Those servers will shut down soon (as next gen gets a full hold) anyway. We've already seen tons of servers go down/going down soon as it is.

IMO, this just proves both Durango + PS4 will have the tech to block used games, thus "online pass" as we know it will turn into a "Used game pass" of $10-$15. EA wouldn't stop the pass if they didn't have an ace up their sleeve, they are not consumer friendly, just trying to fool the public and get some free good faith points.

Before you scream "The death of Gamestop omg!", no. Gamestop will force EA to make a deal so they can print out the codes on used games receipt. Like they did with Batman Arkham City OFFLINE Catwoman levels ripped from the game. I don't think EA can afford Gamestop to say "Sorry we won't stock your games new then".

The micro-transactions point is an add-on fee, not an instead of fee. They want their cake and will eat it too, they'll have both. Dead Space 3 has an online pass + micro-transactions, right? They got away with it / it worked, so of course they'll go forward trying to grab more money. A used game fee and micro-transactions is not some insane future that "could happen", it is happening.

It could mean that the next consoles have blocking capability but I don't think it will happen.

I think:

A. The $10 online pass is pretty ineffective. EA closes their servers so soon that people buying used won't get enough value out of $10. And thus, aren't purchasing the passes.

B. EA is going to go all into the fremium model (except you still buy the game). I think key game points needed to advance will now require additional level, weapon, whatever purchases.

I think we may be going to $150 for the full experience of games in the future. It'll just be structured differently. EA won't give revenue without a plan. I think this is how they are going to combat the used market rather than outright ban used games.

I was playing my secret preview copy of Madden 14. I was down by 20 with a minute left. I bought a fumble (recover for touchdown), onside kick probability changer (+90%), a "Pray to Mary," Clock extender (3 minutes), and the add one score cheat.

Ended up winning 521-520. Probably the most fun I ever had in a video game. At the end of the game it tallies up the micro transactions, I ended up spending somewhere around $80, but it was well worth it to beat my opponent.

bread's done
Back