Ea Sports Active 2 - $39.99 for Xbox 360

The fact that this game has dropped in price so quickly while the two other main fitness games (Your Shape and Biggest Lose) have not should be all people need to know about this one...

You know, for the price I'm considering it, I have Your Shape but the inability to customize it sort of bothers me. Although all in all the workouts (from what I've seen anyway) definitely seem more like actually workouts in Your Shape then in Active 2. And like I said, the fact that it's already $40 when it started at $100 is pretty scary.

If this was on Amazon I'd buy it for sure since I have $40 from that SocialLiving deal the other day...not sure if I'll bit on NewEgg though. Amazon has been pretty slow at price matching lately, if they do it at all... Guess I could buy it and then just return it if it's price matches.

Oh and Lyric706... is that newborn still a newborn? I have a 11m old and a 1m old myself! Stay at home Dad here, craaaaaaaaaaaazy.

JKSonic: My profile pic needs serious updating. That's my son, who is almost 3. I also have a daughter now who just turned 1. I'll have to put up a pic of the two of them!

[quote name='JKSonic']The fact that this game has dropped in price so quickly while the two other main fitness games (Your Shape and Biggest Lose) have not should be all people need to know about this one...[/QUOTE]

Did those other games release at $100? The price just seems to finally be coming down to normal levels, is all.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Did those other games release at $100? The price just seems to finally be coming down to normal levels, is all.[/QUOTE]

It released at $100 because it comes with a heart rate monitor and I believe a resistant band as well, so it should cost around $100. The fact that it's selling for LESS then the other games, which just come with the game alone, has to be a last ditch effort to move these things.

[quote name='JKSonic']The fact that this game has dropped in price so quickly while the two other main fitness games (Your Shape and Biggest Lose) have not should be all people need to know about this one...[/QUOTE]

this game is actually reviewing better than those other two.

I bought it at $48.99 on Amazon a few weeks ago. I was very skeptical because of the mixed review. Yeah, it's still a bit glitchy but it's actually a great software. The issues with the Kinect can be annoying but it's nothing debilitating and very easy to work around once you understand what the problem is. You do need a lot of space for this; you need to be quite a ways back from the Kinect for the floor exercises.

[quote name='xtheapocx']this game is actually reviewing better than those other two.[/QUOTE]

Only marginally at some places, and when you actually read the text you'd never guess it was reviewing better. Take away the numbered scores and what's said seems to be much better towards the other two.

I can only speak for Your Shape, but like I said it's great software that works most of the time, my only problem is that you can't customize a daily routine. You either have to improvise your own set or use one of their premade ones which are very limiting and get old after a couple days.

[quote name='JKSonic']Oh and Lyric706... is that newborn still a newborn? I have a 11m old and a 1m old myself! Stay at home Dad here, craaaaaaaaaaaazy.[/QUOTE]
I am a stay at home dad also, nice to see another around here!

On topic- I submitted a lower price to Amazon, I hope they match this.

[quote name='JKSonic']Only marginally at some places, and when you actually read the text you'd never guess it was reviewing better. Take away the numbered scores and what's said seems to be much better towards the other two.

I can only speak for Your Shape, but like I said it's great software that works most of the time, my only problem is that you can't customize a daily routine. You either have to improvise your own set or use one of their premade ones which are very limiting and get old after a couple days.[/QUOTE]

While that's true, 1) most of those reviews were made before EA released the patch which resolved a lot of the issues, and 2) the one side-by-side review comparing Sports Active and Your Shape ultimately recommended SA2 more highly. http://www.geezergamers.com/content...-Your-Shape-Fitness-Evolved-First-Impressions

I haven't tried Your Shape so I can't speak for it, but both my wife and I I are very happy with SA2. Two things to be aware of though:
1) DISABLE voice command. It's a source of a major bug that's causing the game freeze on a lot of people. EA said they're aware of the problem and are working on it. They've said they'll try to release a patch sometime February. It doesn't even work very well anyway.
2) For the floor exercise, don't sit down until it says on screen to sit. Kinect often loses you if you don't wait.

If you're implying that it's selling poorly, then you'd be right. That's the only conclusion you could make from the huge price drop.

If you're implying that it's a shitty title, you'd be wrong. It's got its problems but no more than Your Fitness does. (I own both.)

$40 is a steal. I'm gonna tell my fat buddy to get it.

It dropped so fast because it originally priced too high.

I have all the previous EA Sports Active games and just got this one recently. It is a very very good fitness game, if you need to choose one, choose this.

Well like I said I might give it a shot, as long as it ultimately recognizes me as well as Your Shape (maybe with the patch?), and the workouts are comparable, then it'll be worth it.

To you that do own both, how do the actual workouts compare? Just going by screen shots it looks like most of Active 2 is mini-game type "workouts". I've seen running, dodgeball, boxing, etc... Are there actual toning workout routines and weight lifting routines that are about the same as YS?

Sold out now anyway, oh well...maybe Amazon will price match, they only have it at $10 more now as it is so it's not too far of a stretch.

Can somebody give me the price match link?

I can't speak for Kinect as I have a PS3, but the whole package is great. The pre-set programs are well-balanced and challenging, while the customization possibilities are a home run- you can have the system generate a routine with a focus area (cardio, core, etc.) and choose the amount of time you want to work out. If the Kinect problems are on the road to resolution, then this is an outstanding price. I got in on the Amazon $48.99 a couple weeks ago and actually bought another at that price to get the extra sensors so I could work out with my wife.

[quote name='JKSonic']Ah, still, congrats is to be had! Both of mine are Sons, and obviously we didn't waste any time between them, heh[/QUOTE]

It is absolutely crazy with two so close in age, but we're all having an absolute blast!

How are you getting your gaming in these days? It's hard for me to get any in, yet my backlog continues to grow thanks to CAG!

[quote name='lyric706']It is absolutely crazy with two so close in age, but we're all having an absolute blast!

How are you getting your gaming in these days? It's hard for me to get any in, yet my backlog continues to grow thanks to CAG![/QUOTE]

Yeah, ironically I probably have the biggest backlog now that I've had since the N64 days. Now that the second one is born I rarely game at all. When it was just me and my first Son I got a fair amount of time in. In the mornings he'd wake up, do his bottle, then sit in his exersaucer for a good hour-2 hours. He also really loves the Baby Einstein videos so he'd watch those and I'd game sometimes. It's also nice since the playroom is right beside my TV room so that made it easier.

Now, the only time I really get time is if I both don't have any chores, and if they both take their mid-day nap at the same time. Usually if they take one long nap (as opposed to two smaller ones) I have time to get anything done and game a bit.

The main thing that took a hit for me is any online games. CoD, Halo, WoW...don't really have time for any of that any more.

[quote name='dboy81']I can't speak for Kinect as I have a PS3, but the whole package is great. The pre-set programs are well-balanced and challenging, while the customization possibilities are a home run- you can have the system generate a routine with a focus area (cardio, core, etc.) and choose the amount of time you want to work out. If the Kinect problems are on the road to resolution, then this is an outstanding price. I got in on the Amazon $48.99 a couple weeks ago and actually bought another at that price to get the extra sensors so I could work out with my wife.[/QUOTE]

Any PS3 owners want to make a workout group?

BTW, the sensor set was only $19.99 (without the game) at EA Store couple days ago when it was having a 50% off sale.

I've had to return two different copies to amazon, since both had heart rate monitors that came with them wouldn't even connect to my 360. I'm not going to bother trying a 3rd copy.

Good luck to anyone who gets one though.

bread's done
Back