EA SPORTS MMA Xbox 360 $9.50 Free Shipping

I remain a huge fan of this one despite the bizarre half-patched state it is in.

Essentially, Fight Now and online with half the weight classes is patched. Story mode and a few other weight classes are unpatched. It's a big mess last I checked. This one kinda fell by the wayside for me because FNC was so polished (At least until patches threw FNC's balance all over the place and I had to relearn the damn game again.) but I still like it, better than UFC 2009 at least.

I couldn't buy a MMA game from EA on principal alone. When the UFC was exploring the possibility of a video game they reached out to EA. EA said that they didn't consider MMA to be a real sport. :roll:

But go figure, as soon as UFC was a hit by THQ, EA couldn't wait to roll out their own version for a piece of the pie.

[quote name='Blumpkin']I couldn't buy a MMA game from EA on principal alone. When the UFC was exploring the possibility of a video game they reached out to EA. EA said that they didn't consider MMA to be a real sport. :roll:

But go figure, as soon as UFC was a hit by THQ, EA couldn't wait to roll out their own version for a piece of the pie.[/QUOTE]
That's not the whole story.

The UFC contacted one division of EA in Los Angeles (i.e. The Sims EA) which rejected the offer, instead of the EA which handles sports titles (EA Sports). EA MMA was also in development before UFC 2009.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Sports_MMA#UFC_controversy

Since then, Dana White of the UFC refused to work with EA Sports who weren't even responsible for rejecting the offer. He decided to extend the contract with THQ, and declared a ban on any fighter from the UFC who appears in EA MMA (other than Randy Couture).

This is despite the fact that EA MMA was a much better MMA game than THQ's two offerings.

I liked EA MMA pretty well, but definitely not as much as UFC Undisputed. EA does have some stronger points, but to me THQ's games are better.

MMA is not bad but getting all the achievements will take you years online to get. :) The online is often dead the last time i tried playing it a few times. Which makes it even longer to get the belt achievements online...

The deal here is about how much this game goes for these days so if you are on the fence hold off. It is fun and also you need those dumb online pass junk. You can do a trial version of the online pass for i think 7 days? To bad i hate EA after it got to big for it's britches and milks the fans every year with bugged to hell games and 3rd rate servers and slightly added new stuff to each new sports game each year. zzzzz

Thanks for the heads up.
W.gif
thanks.. i love this game

By the way, when I said patches, I meant balance tweaks. EA MMA got a well-received balancing update that generally fans said made it feel a lot more like real MMA and a lot more fun. I'm no expert on it though. It's just the rebalancing only got applied to certain chunks of the game.

Also, the AI in EA MMA is jerkish. I only play AI in these sorts of games and it's doable but it tends to be cheesy in grapple/clinch/ground game scenarios. Maybe I still haven't figured the game out though.

And, finally, EA MMA claims you do strikes to set up moving to better grapple positions but in practice that doesn't really work at all. Even people who seem to be good at the game tend to agree that it's not clear cut and not even a really effective guideline.

bread's done
Back