EA to shut down servers for recently released games

[quote name='SynGamer']But how are potential customers going to know that EA shut the servers down? Not everyone follows gaming like we do here...[/QUOTE]

And not everyone buys used like we do.
I imagine that the only customers that count in EA's books are those that buy the game new. Screw the cheapasses like us that take advantage of PP'd games, EA doesn't see cent one from that action. Therefore if a game's server shuts down after 2-3 years, (EA would say) whatever, it's lived its profitable life out by now. Anyone who buys it new after that is SOL, and the profit from that sale is just gravy in EA's books.

[quote name='iamthecheapestgamer']
people are too fuckin' obsessed with trophies and achievements anymore and some knuckleheads actually won't buy a game if it doesn't have them. :roll: Seriously? Play the games and enjoy them.[/quote]

qft

The only ones that would concern me are games that are the last in the series (ie. Nascar 09). It looks like right now that one is only being shut down in Europe for the PS3/360. But Microsoft should have somewhat of a vested interest in keeping that game alive since the only alternative will now be buying a PS3 and Gran Turismo 5.

It reminds me of College Hoops 2K8. That game still has a big online community over 2 years later since EA bought the rights to college basketball, even though 2K8 is still superior to anything they've released. Not to mention, games with online roster sharing can be updated and don't feel old at all.

bread's done
Back