Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor $51.99 @Amazon FS

foreinter

CAGiversary!
Amazon is selling Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor at $51.99 with free shipping. You can randomly find used ones around this price at Amazon Warehouse. But this is the lowest price I ever seen for a new one. Just in case anyone is interested.

LINK

[quote name='mac101010']It's a digital connection, so the cord has no effect on the quality. The hiss comes from the headset itself due to the amp.[/QUOTE]

that is incorrect. the quality of the cord can effect interference of the signal. there could be additionally static or hissing and crackling.

[quote name='Easystride']I kind of like this thing, but there is a light hiss that bothers me. Does anyone think changing the optical cable would help?[/QUOTE]

It probably will. the supplied cord is not very good. there is some inherent hiss but the cord can be a significant source of the audio issues people have. if you are not having any issues with the supplied cord theres no reason to change it, but it can be a source of problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='giantqtipz']this is crazy.

theres a gold box deal with this description:
"Transform any stereo headset into full, immersive surround sound"

it feels like its for this.. but they just dropped the price recently.. i kind of regret buying it 3 weeks early now -____-[/QUOTE]
if it's anything like yesterday's sale, $2 off? Like the PX21 51.99 to 49.99.

[quote name='paz9x']that is incorrect. the quality of the cord can effect interference of the signal. there could be additionally static or hissing and crackling.[/QUOTE]

Could you explain how this is possible? I tried to do some quick research on the subject, but I thought by definition, ANY optical connection should be free of interference (EM interference, anyway) because it's transmitting LIGHT, not electrical signals. Do cheap cables let outside light into the connection, causing interference??

I'm only asking out of curiosity. To be safe I ordered a couple different optical cables from Monoprice, including a nice metal jacketed one, but I haven't used them yet. Using the included cable gives perfect sound, as far as my non-audiophile ears can tell.

[quote name='paz9x']
It probably will. the supplied cord is not very good. there is some inherent hiss but the cord can be a significant source of the audio issues people have. if you are not having any issues with the supplied cord theres no reason to change it, but it can be a source of problems.[/QUOTE]

In my quick research, people who were having hissing problems using the optical connection had certain audio settings wrong - not setting audio out to bitstream vs. linear PCM on a PS3, for example. All of this stuff is greek to me, but issues like this always make me curious, and I like to know the answers in case they happen to me. So far I've been lucky I guess.

He meant the quality of the 3.5mm jack cord, not the optical. There's still hissing by using the optical because of the amp itself, it's just a bit more pronounced when you're not using the optical.

Again, the hissing is not really there IF you can crank up the volume of the source. The more you turn up the volume nob on the amp, the louder the hiss.

And yes you need to make sure you have your audio settings set correctly. DO NOT enable all the options if you're using optical thru the PS3. Sometimes you won't get any sound at all, sometimes it'll downgrade and output 2ch (PCM, at all the enabled bitrates) instead of surround. Only enable DD, DTS and it should be fine.

[quote name='uthoria']I would be all over this if I didn't have to power the device via my Xbox/PS3 console.... that always worries me[/QUOTE]

If you're really worried about the 5V that the DSS pulls from your console, you could just get a USB AC adapter and plug it into a wall outlet

[quote name='giantqtipz']this is crazy.

theres a gold box deal with this description:
"Transform any stereo headset into full, immersive surround sound"

it feels like its for this.. but they just dropped the price recently.. i kind of regret buying it 3 weeks early now -____-[/QUOTE]

What happened to this gold box deal? Earlier today it was scheduled for 6pm pacific, but now it's gone. It looks like they replaced it with Fallout: New Vegas.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']DO NOT enable all the options if you're using optical thru the PS3. Sometimes you won't get any sound at all, sometimes it'll downgrade and output 2ch (PCM, at all the enabled bitrates) instead of surround. Only enable DD, DTS and it should be fine.[/QUOTE]

Actually I was doing some reading on some forums about the PS3 settings when connected to the DSS, and per Turtle Beach's FAQs on this, they advise that you set the output to be strictly Dolby Digital 5.1, and not DTS. Here's a link for reference:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=830517102

I only have DD enabled :) I just included DTS because it's at least 5.1 not like the Linear PCM options. I haven't read the FAQ before but yeah it does make sense.

Just don't check all the boxes available to you just because you can was my point, because it often doesn't pick the optimal selection unless you force it.

Bought one and got it yesterday. Used it to play LA Noire on XBbox360 for a few hours, and it is no comparison to a true surround speakers setup. I also tested it using different 5.1 AC3 test files on my computer (via optical connect).
IMHO, what it does is only to add "echo" to the rear channels, so they sound different to the front channels, thus to make you think there are separations in the front and rear channels. All the channels still feel right next to your ears, instead of a real sound field.
Of course, it is much better than the "SRS 3D headphone" I bought previously. And since I have no way to arrange surround/rear speakes around my computer monitor, I will happily use it to play games on my computer monitor when the wife is watching TV in the living room.

I just got the bigger brother of that, the Astro Mixamp. It's currently making $30 crappy Sony headphones sound brilliant. I can't wait for my new good cans to get in!

I used the Tritton AX360s before this. Still good headphones, but they need Dolby Digital 5.1 to be effective, so they are put to my PS3 and my new setup will be for PC fun time!

I totally thought this was the gold box deal tonight. The description described it exactly. Boy was I wrong (and disappointed)

just wanted to chime in I got one of these nearly a year ago and I absolutely love it. Make sure you hook it up via the digital optical audio port from PS3/xbox and use a good pair of headphones! Still rocking my 2 year old HD555 but damn they sound good.

[quote name='JG5253']So I probably shouldn't get this if I already have receiver with a headphone jack?[/QUOTE]

Does your receiver have Dolby Headphone?

[quote name='rex kwon do']I totally thought this was the gold box deal tonight. The description described it exactly. Boy was I wrong (and disappointed)[/QUOTE]

It was supposed to be up at 6pm pacific time. But they changed the description to something matching New Vegas several hours before it came up. Totally lame on Amazon's part.

Anyhow, I ended up ordering it anyway. I would have ordered it this morning had Amazon not put up that gold box description and then swap it out hours before it went live. Since I ordered it so late, now I have to wait another day for it to arrive. Can't wait to pair this up with my Sony MDR-V6.

[quote name='gantt']Does your receiver have Dolby Headphone?[/QUOTE]

I don't know. I currently have it plugged with 6.35mm adapter

bread's done
Back