Earliest Gaming Memory

Rodimus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
183 (100%)
The title says it all.

For me I must have been 3 or 4 years old. My dad bought a ColecoVision. I remember he had Rocky, Defender, Space Panic, Donkey Kong and Looping. We also had an odd looking controller that we used with Rocky.

2dbkl68.jpg

I found it in my parents attic several years back and tried hooking it up but it didn't work.

My mom going to a store maybe k-mart and buying a nintendo system for me. This is the day and age when they had consoles out on the floor and  not behind security gates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't remember which one of these two is older (nor can I remember much details about them):

a) My cousin had a couple of those standalone games that looked like mini-computers. They had a 3" display and controls on the side. This was in the UK when we were visiting so I don't know if they were released here. I don't remember what the game was though... just the console and that it took a bunch of big ass batteries (C or D). 

b) This green wireframe game on a Macintosh where you had to go from room to room in order to... do something. I had no idea how to play it. I've always wondered what the name of this game was but could never figure it out. Google leads to Battlezone but that's not it. There were no tanks in this game, just room after room. 

Youngsters...

I remember being at a ski resort somewhere in or near Tahoe and playing a tabletop pong game.  I was blown away by that thing and it is pretty much all I remember from that trip - honestly without that I probably wouldn't have remembered the trip at all.  Must have been mid-70's or so?  I was probably 7 or 8.

Then a few years later I would go in with my Dad when he needed to work on Saturday and play Zork and that Star Trek game ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(text_game)) ) on his company's VAX PDP-11.  I think that's one of the reasons two of my favorite genres are RPGs and strategy games.

Not sure exactly which game it was, but probably more than likely doing Vs. in Maze Craze for the 2600 with my brother.  That game has tons of variants (like most 2600 games), but most of them are interesting enough to play, such as the freeze and then slowly speed up to normal pace cube one (hard to describe it though unless you've played it).

Every so often I pull out the 2600 from my parent's closet, and this game is still one of the most played with the fam (alongside Warlords).

- Pac-man at an arcade

- Watching the movie Tron; being disappointed with the real world adaptations of the video games

- My brother had an Atari with games that I remember playing whenever I had the chance: Joust, Pole Position, Tank, Q-bert, E.T., Space Invaders, Pitfall, and Pac-man

- My parents brought home a work laptop (huge thing would not fit in a lap, and the screen was 1/3rd the size of an iPad) that had some games on it like Win Lose or Draw and Number Crunchers.

I remember playing Atari 2600 in the mid 80's, I don't remember which was the first game I tried though. It might have been Frogger or Space Invaders. A few years later I got the NES.

There is picture evidence that I played Mario on the NES, but my first actual gaming memory was sitting on the floor of my mom's friend's house playing Mortal Kombat on the SNES. A life-long love of fighting games was born that day.

Kazaganthi said:
- Watching the movie Tron; being disappointed with the real world adaptations of the video games
No way - the arcade version was pretty awesome for its time. The first video game that really blew me away with its "realism", though, was Zaxxon. Then later I got the Colecovision version and that was the first time I ever thought it might be possible in the future to have home games that were almost as good as arcade versions ;).

My parents got a home system that had several variations of brick out and pong.  After that we got an Odyssey2; some of the best games were UFO!, Monkey Shines, and KC Munchkin (a Pac-Man clone).  My cousins had an Atari 2600; We played a lot of Asteroids.  One cousin would turn the controller around backwards to make playing Pac-Man more challenging.  My friend had a ColecoVision; I remember the Smurfs game.

I'm just waiting for the younger poster to say: Super Mario 64 or Sonic Adventure 2.

For me it would be playing World Cup Soccer on the NES.

Earliest memories are playing Mario bros and double dribble on the NES. Man those flash shots when the player went in for a dunk use to be the sh#t. Jumping on the shell at the end of the stage in Mario to get infinite lifes...Ahhh good ole days

Well, yeah, there's that too. I will be playing SMT IV much later tonight. I can reminisce all I want but had I had a game like that when I was 15 I would have been in gaming heaven. These kids don't know how good they have it!

Even though games are so involved with almost endless replay value I'm glad I grew up when I did. If I was a kid now it would be easy to become an unsociable little brat.

For me, it was the arcades and restaurants around me. I gravitated towards Popeye in the arcade and this one restaurant close by had a Donkey Kong cocktail lounge table that was badass. If I ever set up a game room, I will find those two machines and put them in it.

Elementary Latchkey patiently waiting for my turn on the Nintendo.  Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros., Blaster Master and Kung-Fu started it all for me.  Stuck with the Fighting genre for a long time because of Kung-Fu until FF7 and FFT changed my mind about RPGs.  Nowadays the latter and occasional multiplayer shooter are all I can tolerate to play besides Magic.

My earliest gaming memories are the hours spent in the basement at my Grandparents' house playing Frogger, Outlaw, Chopper Command, E.T., and Donkey Kong on their Atari 2600.   This was probably around 1988-1989.

a little younger than the rest of you it seems (I'm 23 now) so my earliest memory is playing Genesis games with my dad.  I used to watch him play Road Rash which was a wicked fun motorcycle game.  I also remember playing one of the disney games way back then but dont remember what it was called.  

Cool thread, Rod!

I'm not sure what my earliest is, but I remember some cool things.  Like the sit down Star Wars arcade machine at the arcade near the movie theater where I grew up.  That thing blew my mind as a 5 year old.  Or the sit-down Ms. Pac Man at the Coney Island (It's a Michigan, chili dog thing) that I used to love playing.  I also remember sneaking into my cousins room to see his collection of Atari games and the day he actually let me borrow Dig Dug with the fancy paddle controllers.  Or, when I got my Atari and playing Pac Man for hours.  All such great memories, followed by more great memories. 

Playing super Mario and legend of Zelda on Nintendo 64. I grew up with Nintendo: n64, GameCube, Wii. I don't know when or why, but one of my family friends had an original Xbox. I remember playing halo 2 and a bunch of other games. I got hooked on Microsoft and the 360 came out, and here we are.

Playing Gyromite with ROB the robot. I was extremely young, maybe 3, and remember seeing him pick up the spinning tops and setting them down. I had no clue what was going on, I just wanted to touch the spinners and my mom would continuously stop me.

I totally remember playing Mario/Duck Hunt at my neighbor's house back when I was 2-3ish...this was in the sticks of Oklahoma so that would've been the only possible gaming exposure I could've had back then.  Once we moved to MN all of my memories are of riding my bike around the neighborhood to play games with everyone since my parents didn't want me to have my own system and get obsessed.  Looking at my collection right now...yeah, they were probably right.

My best friend back then was kind of spoiled and had NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Gear and Game Boy with pretty much every worthwhile title circa early 90s.  I rarely got to see/play them though since we spent most of our time outside building forts and trying to make Indiana Jones whips out of fence vines.

How about the late 70's when they had football were you had x's and o's, controlled by rollerballs.  Not sure if Atari made it.  First console was the 2600.  But don't foget the Mattel Handheld Football, hockey, basekball and baseball.

I was four years old in my fathers repair shop. I was playing doom and I wanted god mode on but when he turned it on I yelled about the yellow eyes..

It wasn't my earliest memory but it was the earliest most interesting memory:

1988: My brother and I wanted to buy a NES at Toys 'r Us, but they wouldn't take my brother's check. So instead we went to the Sony store across the street and noticed they had a Sega Master System kiosk. 30 minutes later, we bought the SMS. That started me on the road to being a Sega fanboy, until I made Phantasy Star Universe my Xbox 360 system seller (that was dumb).

I actually shared this memory with Mark Cerny this week at a media event at PlayStation HQ (because of his direct involvement with Sega at the time).

My first memory of playing video games was...

Playing Jordan vs Bird against my brother on our Commodore 64.  I must have been around age 4.

My first gaming memory is with the Atari 5200. My parents would set it up two or three times a year, we would all play Mario Bros, Pac Man, Galaxian, Berserk, and Centipede. Dad would help my sister and I get to the later levels in Mario, and I always seemed to kill him with the POW block. After about a month or so it would get packed up until the next time.

We sold that system to help pay for a NES. Wish I still had it just for the memories. It's still the only system all four of us would play together.

bread's done
Back