Early Speculation on PS3 Launch Titles

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149943

Officially Confirmed at Launch
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (Ubisoft)
Call of Duty 3 (Activision)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)
F.E.A.R. (Vivendi)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines (Sega)
Genji: Day of the Blade (SCEA, Game Republic)
Madden NFL 07 (EA Sports)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (Bandai Namco)
NBA 2K7 (2K Sports)
NBA 07 (SCEA)
Need for Speed Carbon (EA)
NHL 2K7 (2K Sports)
Resistance: Fall of Man (SCEA, Insomniac)
Ridge Racer 7 (Bandai Namco)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (EA Sports)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (Ubisoft)
Tony Hawk's Project 8 (Activision)
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SOE)

Rest of the Year
Fight Night Round 3 (EA Sports) - December 12
NBA Live 07 (EA Sports) - December 19

Delayed/Unsure
Tekken 6 (Namco)
Fatal Inertia (Koei)
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War (Koei)
John Woo's Stranglehold (Midway)
Mercenaries: World in Flames (Pandemic)
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (Ubisoft)
Unreal Tournament 2007 (Midway, Epic Games)
Medal of Honor: Airborne (EA)
Coded Arms: Assault (Konami)
Heavenly Sword (SCEE, Ninja Theory) (After Christmas)
F1 '06 (SCEE, Liverpool Studios) (After Christmas)
Motorstorm (SCEA, Evolution Studios) (After Christmas)

Here's the most current list of launch titles according to the info I've gotten regarding each title. The Officially Confirmed titles have been confirmed by the actual devs or publishers of the games themselves while the Confirmed by Third Party titles have been confirmed by some media source with no actual confirmation by the developers themselves to confirm it. Rumored titles are titles coming out in the fall around the launch with no news regarding launch status either way. Delayed titles are games that were launch titles, but have been officially delayed past the launch window.

Also, don't bothered criticizing the posts of the first dozen people below as they're criticizing the initial eight game list that hasn't been confirmed at all since the first post.

Newest additions in bold.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149943

John Woo's Stranglehold (Midway)
Tekken (Namco)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega)
Resistance: Fall of Man (Insomniac)
Rainbow Six: Vegas (Ubisoft)
Lair (Factor 5)
Motorstorm(Evolution Studios)
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom (SOE)
Ridge Racer 7 (Namco confirmed)

The first ones besides RR7 are speculation that have supposedly been confirmed by Sony with a gaming blog in Britain. This looks like a good list just from the first impression. What are your thoughts of this initial speculative launch and what other games do you hope make it out for the fall launch?[/QUOTE]

with that launch, maybe my reserved one, will go to ebay then.......

Decent games, not that the PS3 actually NEEDS good launch titles to sell like mad.

I am interested to see how next-gen Sonic turns out though.

The initial lineup looks weak. I'm surprised that there are no sports titles in that mix. Mainly Madden. I am also interested how Sonic looks on the PS3 as well as Tekken.

[quote name='drsuper23']The initial lineup looks weak. I'm surprised that there are no sports titles in that mix. Mainly Madden. I am also interested how Sonic looks on the PS3 as well as Tekken.[/QUOTE]
This isn't a final list by far, so expect further announcements at E3 and the months leading up to the launch. I just added a juicy rumored title to the list that there's some interesting info about it's release.

I'm hoping that the A list titles are worth it. I wonder how many worthwile RPG's there will be.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This isn't a final list by far, so expect further announcements at E3 and the months leading up to the launch. I just added a juicy rumored title to the list that there's some interesting info about it's release.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This isn't a final list by far, so expect further announcements at E3 and the months leading up to the launch. I just added a juicy rumored title to the list that there's some interesting info about it's release.[/QUOTE]
Right, because could you imagine Sony letting their system launch without a bigger first-party title attached? One that would really show-off the online play to counter the XBOX 360? I would imagine we'll see Killzone or something else first party launch alongside the system (the new Ratchet and Clank?). Of course, neither of those titles are exactly system-sellers, but they are at least some big names from the first-party.

Nothing on that list interests me except possibly Rainbow Six: Vegas, and definitely Stranglehold, neither of which require me to buy a PS3 to play. I'm curious to see the Revs launch line up other than Red Storm or whatever that game is called.

[quote name='elwood731']Right, because could you imagine Sony letting their system launch without a bigger first-party title attached? One that would really show-off the online play to counter the XBOX 360? I would imagine we'll see Killzone or something else first party launch alongside the system (the new Ratchet and Clank?). Of course, neither of those titles are exactly system-sellers, but they are at least some big names from the first-party.[/QUOTE]
Sony does have three games up there, though nothing of their old IP. Maybe Warhawk will make it?

[quote name='Chris in Cali']Not a single game there that I'm even mildly interested in. VIVA LA REVOLUTION![/QUOTE]

I'm with ya dude, though Lair could be cool.

Tekken 6 and Ridge Racer 7? Good God I hope that's not indicative of where most third parties are headed with next-gen development. The only thing to be added to either of those franchises at this point is online play. Try something new, Namco.

Lol @ the "there's nothing interesting there" posts. I find more interesting titles in that short list than I do in the 360's library up to now.

The main one I want is Resistance, and I would be interested in a new Tekken as well. Also curious about Warhawks, so maybe that one will make it.

Honestly, there are some very good games there, but it doesn't even make sense to release "system seller" games at launch. Fact is, the system is going to sell regardless. These companies would be releasing AAA-level games that would sell more if there were more systems on the market, so they won't benefit. And Sony won't benefit, because they don't need those games at launch to sell systems.

[quote name='argyle']Lol @ the "there's nothing interesting there" posts. I find more interesting titles in that short list than I do in the 360's library up to now.

The main one I want is Resistance, and I would be interested in a new Tekken as well. Also curious about Warhawks, so maybe that one will make it.

Honestly, there are some very good games there, but it doesn't even make sense to release "system seller" games at launch. Fact is, the system is going to sell regardless. These companies would be releasing AAA-level games that would sell more if there were more systems on the market, so they won't benefit. And Sony won't benefit, because they don't need those games at launch to sell systems.[/QUOTE]

If a game is really good, it doesnt matter when it is released... look at how well Halo sold for the XB... even being a release title... although in the PS3's case the system will sell regardless

I'm pretty interested in Heavenly Sword, even if it's a God of War rip-off, at least it's doing a good job at ripping off a great game. I thought Call of Duty 3 was supposed to be a launch game?

I believe Fatal Inertia can be considered confirmed for launch. The end of the E3 trailer states "available for launch" or something along those lines.

Surprisingly, this is actaully one of the games I'm looking forward to getting if it plays similar to Wipeout.

That looks like the worst launch lineup ever for any console. I'm not even mildly interested in any of those titles.

[quote name='b3b0p']That looks like the worst launch lineup ever for any console. I'm not even mildly interested in any of those titles.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't look anything like the 360 launch. That was by far the worst launch that i can remember. PS3 launch could be bad ass as long as it keeps LAIR and Warhawk in the mix. Two new titles, 1 a new franchise, and another that should be a new franchise because of the age.

[quote name='Maynard']That doesn't look anything like the 360 launch. That was by far the worst launch that i can remember. PS3 launch could be bad ass as long as it keeps LAIR and Warhawk in the mix. Two new titles, 1 a new franchise, and another that should be a new franchise because of the age.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I can't believe that you think the 360 launch was the worst ever. It was practically the same types of games that are on this potential PS3 list. This list looks to be good, but with 75% of those coming out for 360 as well, I'm still going to be holding off until there are more exclusives that I want to play.

[quote name='Maynard']That doesn't look anything like the 360 launch. That was by far the worst launch that i can remember. PS3 launch could be bad ass as long as it keeps LAIR and Warhawk in the mix. Two new titles, 1 a new franchise, and another that should be a new franchise because of the age.[/QUOTE]
You forgot to mention something...

IN YOUR OPINION

[quote name='reiji']I believe Fatal Inertia can be considered confirmed for launch. The end of the E3 trailer states "available for launch" or something along those lines.

Surprisingly, this is actaully one of the games I'm looking forward to getting if it plays similar to Wipeout.[/QUOTE]
I checked out the trailer and it does indeed say it'll be a launch title, so it's been added. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll be checking out more to see if any of them slipped under our noses.

Edit: Currently, there's nine launch titles (though a couple could not show up in the US on time).

[quote name='salmonaxxx']Has there been any info on Japanese launch titles? I'm guessing Tekken and Ridge Racer, but what else?[/QUOTE]
Just F1 2006, though Japanese launch games aren't really going to be announced at a US event.

A bunch of titles have been added to the confirmed by third party sources list courtesy of OPM, who has several PS3 game previews, including the next-gen Tony Hawk game and Mercenaries 2 and others. Here's their list of launch titles:

Mercenaries: World in Flames
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Stranglehold
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Sonic the Hedgehog
Unreal Tournament 2007
Ridge Racer 7 (already confirmed)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Medal of Honor: Airborne (was confirmed for 2007)
Fatal Inertia (already confirmed)
Coded Arms: Assault

VIVA LA NINTENTROLLS!

Brothers in Arms, Mercenaries, UT 2007 didn't look friggin amazing to you guys? Wow, you're obviously not seeing the same footage I have, read the same articles I have, seen the screenshots I have...etc

Or by choice, missing out on it completely. These people are working hard on these games, and they look drop dead amazing, so it's downright annoying the level of partisan style idiocy that accompanies gaming here...

Shit...I was hoping there wouldn't be any good titles at launch so I wouldnt be forced to get a PS3 :lol:

EDIT: Wow, I was looking at info and screens on Coded Arms: Assault and it actually looks to be really good...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']A bunch of titles have been added to the confirmed by third party sources list courtesy of OPM, who has several PS3 game previews, including the next-gen Tony Hawk game and Mercenaries 2 and others. Here's their list of launch titles:

Stranglehold
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Sonic the Hedgehog
Unreal Tournament 2007
Ridge Racer 7 (already confirmed)
Full Auto 2: Battlelines
Medal of Honor: Airborne (was confirmed for 2007)
Fatal Inertia (already confirmed)
Coded Arms: Assault[/QUOTE]

And yet over HALF of that list are games to be on 360

I'm interested in that john woo game, didn't look into it much before because I was never a huge fan of Woo's movies, aside from some of the early ones, it could turn out to be like Max Payne.

[quote name='Daddy']And yet over HALF of that list are games to be on 360[/QUOTE]
Five games isn't over half, as Fatal Inertia, Coded Arms, Ridge Racer 7, UT2k7, and Full Auto 2 are exclusives and Mercs 2 has only been announced for PS3 at the moment. How many exclusives did the 360 have at launch? ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
How many exclusives did the 360 have at launch? ;)[/quote]

hmm roughly HALF as many as ps3 has :lol:
  • Amped 3 (2K Games)
  • Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
  • Condemned (Sega)
  • Dead Or Alive 4 (Tecmo)
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)
  • Final Fantasy XI (Microsoft)
  • Full Auto (Sega)
  • Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft)
  • Gun (Activision)
  • Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft)
  • Madden NFL 06 (EA)
  • NBA 2K6 (2K Games)
  • NHL 2K6 (2K Games)
  • The Outfit (THQ)
  • Perfect Dark LE (Microsoft)
  • Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft)
  • Quake 4 (Activision)
  • Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)
  • Saints Row (THQ)
  • Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)
  • Top Spin 2 (2K Games)
Hmm, nevermind

oh, and strike THE OUTFIT, as it was a little late on the dial.

[quote name='Metal Boss']hmm roughly HALF as many as ps3 has :lol:
  • Amped 3 (2K Games)
  • Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
  • Condemned (Sega)
  • Dead Or Alive 4 (Tecmo)
  • Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Bethesda)
  • Final Fantasy XI (Microsoft)
  • Full Auto (Sega)
  • Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (Ubisoft)
  • Gun (Activision)
  • Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft)
  • Madden NFL 06 (EA)
  • NBA 2K6 (2K Games)
  • NHL 2K6 (2K Games)
  • The Outfit (THQ)
  • Perfect Dark LE (Microsoft)
  • Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft)
  • Quake 4 (Activision)
  • Ridge Racer 6 (Namco)
  • Saints Row (THQ)
  • Tony Hawk's American Wasteland (Activision)
  • Top Spin 2 (2K Games)
Hmm, nevermind

oh, and strike THE OUTFIT, as it was a little late on the dial.[/QUOTE]

This list and accompanying article is proof of how unreliable preliminary launch lists are. And to this, that list on IGN was just two months before launch.

Dead or Alive 4, Oblivion, Final Fantasy 11, Ghost Recon, The Outfit, Saints Row and Top Spin didn't make it on launch. Probably others, those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/oct05/10-04Xbox360GamesLineupPR.mspx -- As you can see, MS's official list, just one month before launch was even more inaccurate.

You guys need to expect more than half of these "comfirmed" titles to hit in 2007, if at all, and perhaps only one or two to actually make launch. As we closer, so will the truth, but Sony's a master of hype so it'll likely be one to two weeks before launch before we know what's ACTUALLY launching with the system. If you want to discuss rumors, fine, but don't use the information to build a case against the competition.

[quote name='Koggit']This list and accompanying article is proof of how unreliable preliminary launch lists are. And to this, that list on IGN was just two months before launch.

Dead or Alive 4, Oblivion, Final Fantasy 11, Ghost Recon, The Outfit, Saints Row and Top Spin didn't make it on launch. Probably others, those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/oct05/10-04Xbox360GamesLineupPR.mspx -- As you can see, MS's official list, just one month before launch was even more inaccurate.

You guys need to expect more than half of these "comfirmed" titles to hit in 2007, if at all, and perhaps only one or two to actually make launch. As we closer, so will the truth, but Sony's a master of hype so it'll likely be one to two weeks before launch before we know what's ACTUALLY launching with the system. If you want to discuss rumors, fine, but don't use the information to build a case against the competition.[/QUOTE]
This thread is just taking the rumors and confirmations as I hear them and added/changing them. Only the first list is the actually confirmed stuff, as the second list, which I'm guessing is the one you're refering to, is the one that the mags and sites label as launch titles without posting actual confirmation from the devs.

Of course it's all up in the air, as everyone's still in the middle of development and things can change that sure launch release date to months later as we've seen with DOA4 and Oblivion. I'm just trying to keep it as straight as possible for those interested in seeing what's looking to be released alongside the PS3.

As for the actual 360 launch list:

Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
GUN
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game Of The Movie
Project Gotham Racing 3
QUAKE 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

So only Amped 3, Kameo, PDZ, PGR3, and Ridge Racer 6 were exclusives.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This thread is just taking the rumors and confirmations as I hear them and added/changing them. Only the first list is the actually confirmed stuff, as the second list, which I'm guessing is the one you're refering to, is the one that the mags and sites label as launch titles without posting actual confirmation from the devs.

Of course it's all up in the air, as everyone's still in the middle of development and things can change that sure launch release date to months later as we've seen with DOA4 and Oblivion. I'm just trying to keep it as straight as possible for those interested in seeing what's looking to be released alongside the PS3.

As for the actual 360 launch list:

Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
GUN
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need For Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong The Official Game Of The Movie
Project Gotham Racing 3
QUAKE 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

So only Amped 3, Kameo, PDZ, PGR3, and Ridge Racer 6 were exclusives.[/QUOTE]
Console exclusives do count (CoD2, Quake 4 and Condemned* (*came out on the PC 6 months after the 360 release)) and games like Madden and NBA live were exclusives since they differ greatly from the past generation titles (complete with new game engines rebuilt from scratch.) I am no fanboy 360 or PS3, I would just like to see lists that aren't padded to push a posters partisan views.

Also since you are @ it post the Live arcade games that you could get @ launch. Joust, Gauntlet, Geometry Wars*, Bejeweled 2*, Bigshot Billiards 2*, Zuma* and Hexic HD*. *console exclusives.

[quote name='spoo']Console exclusives do count (CoD2, Quake 4 and Condemned* (*came out on the PC 6 months after the 360 release)) and games like Madden and NBA live were exclusives since they differ greatly from the past generation titles (complete with new game engines rebuilt from scratch.) I am no fanboy 360 or PS3, I would just like to see lists that aren't padded to push a posters partisan views.

Also since you are @ it post the Live arcade games that you could get @ launch. Joust, Gauntlet, Geometry Wars*, Bejeweled 2*, Bigshot Billiards 2*, Zuma* and Hexic HD*. *console exclusives.[/QUOTE]
I'm talking about true exclusives, ie. games that don't appear on any other system. Madden and NBA Live for the 360 may be built from the ground up for the 360, but they're still available on many other platforms. Condemned could've been one, but it's now available on the PC. Just like Resident Evil 4 isn't a GC exclusive, as it's also on the PS2 and, sometime in the future, the PC.

As for XBLA arcade titles, those don't count either because the list presumably contains games you can go out and buy on retail shelves. Xbox 360 =/= Xbox Live Arcade. I'm not pushing partisan views with the list, just reporting unbiased facts.

Wow! PS3 have alot good games but i can't affort for the system. Maybe i'll get this games someday around $20.

Ridge Racer 7
Tekken 6
Fatal Inertia
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Singstar
Untold Legends: Dark
Resistance: Fall of Man

John Woo's Stranglehold
Sonic the Hedgehog
Lair