Earth Day Deal: Life + Planet Earth Blu Ray set $49 shipped

Malik112099

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
www.discoverystore.com having an Earth Day sale today. They have the Life and Planet Earth blu ray sets for $50 together. Code DCSEML knocks $5 off and shipping is $4.

I already have planet earth on hd dvd but I think im gonna bite on this and sell either the br or hddvd copy of PE

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cRodz']so before this thread gets longer...

what is the difference between the american and english version. is that dude david attenborough in both?[/QUOTE]

the us version of life has oprah and the uk version has david

yeh i just want to confirm here.
how bout Planet Earth for the US?

i dont mind having Oprah but the content is similar for both blus right?

i mean the US doesnt get shafted?

i will bite hard in this deal when i get back from my final.

planet earth us version has sigourney weaver and the uk version has the dude

i just placed my order.. $49 shipped! no tax ftw... great deal....glad i didnt bite yesterday when i was really tempted

Ugh, so torn. On the one hand, these prices are too good to pass up. I've been waiting for a decent price on Planet Earth & Seas of Life DVD's for a while now, and the Planet Earth & Life BluRay combo is fantastic.

I just wish they were all the David Attenborough versions. I wish someone would price match today with the BBC versions of everything. I may break down and pick them up anyway though - I can't let a good deal go to waste.

Just a note - the run time on the Discovery version of Life is 1 hour less than the BBC version ... I expect this is because they cut the segments out showing the filmmakers at work. Just FYI so you can make an informed decision.

Thanks for the post! I'm slightly irked by the commentators and the lack of making of footage.. but God damn. This is incredible! Too bad I won't get these until June...

I've heard the video quality is worse on the blurays on the US version.....is it just a "fanboy" type thing or is the extra money worth getting the BBC versions....50 bucks seems like a ridiculous deal

and then the "Do I really need these?" voices show up....50 bucks is a lot of change

[quote name='jdktech2010']I've heard the video quality is worse on the blurays on the US version.....is it just a "fanboy" type thing or is the extra money worth getting the BBC versions....50 bucks seems like a ridiculous deal

and then the "Do I really need these?" voices show up....50 bucks is a lot of change[/QUOTE]
Don't know about Life, but the US bluray of Planet Earth is 1080i. The video quality does suffer a bit according to bluray.com and highdefdigest.

[quote name='Allnatural']Don't know about Life, but the US bluray of Planet Earth is 1080i. The video quality does suffer a bit according to bluray.com and highdefdigest.[/QUOTE]

I know what people say but the eye test is what i'm asking for....Is it really that noticable to a person without technology to find it out or anything like that? I have a 32" 1080i TV right now...eventually gonna get a 52" when I can afford it (down the road)

I owned both version of Planet Earth on Blu and the Attenborough version BLOWS AWAY the US version!! I will buy Life with Attenborough, I can't stand Orca Winfrey

[quote name='linkmon']I owned both version of Planet Earth on Blu and the Attenborough version BLOWS AWAY the US version!! I will buy Life with Attenborough, I can't stand Orca Winfrey[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna download a free episode off Itunes today of the BBC version (hint hint) and see if the guy is that much better.....50 bucks is a hard deal to pass up. It just sounds so much better than 75 or 80

I couldn't watch Life with Oprah narrating... I already own the BBC version of Planet Earth, will wait for the BBC version of Life also. Good deal though for those that want the US versions. Thanks OP.

[quote name='almasy82']Hey people remember
you get 15% off for using discover card. stacks with $5 off
you also can get 10% bing cashback[/QUOTE]

With the Discover promo and $5 off, it's coming out to $41.50 shipped for me.

Totally worth it, even for the possibly inferior US version of Life. I already have the BBC Planet Earth Blus, so I'll just flip the US ones - which will pretty much get me all of my money back.

[quote name='wampa8jedi']Just to be clear though, the Life UK version will not run on American blu-ray players, correct? So Oprah is the only option?[/QUOTE]

With the new 3.30 PS3 update, they say the BBC version of LIFE (imported from UK) now works.

Anyone care to confirm?

Decided to go for this. I love me some Sigourney Weaver (though not Oprah) so the difference in narrators is a wash to me, and the price of the US version is much better. Thanks for posting OP.

[quote name='vx2']With the new 3.30 PS3 update, they say the BBC version of LIFE (imported from UK) now works.

Anyone care to confirm?[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone bought it, because up until now it was confirmed as not working in the US.

[quote name='vx2']With the new 3.30 PS3 update, they say the BBC version of LIFE (imported from UK) now works.

Anyone care to confirm?[/QUOTE]

I'm going to wait to grab Life until this is confirmed.

Thanks OP, I couldn't refuse at a price like this. Might as well start June off with two Blu-Rays. Off to bed before I get myself into more trouble. G'Nite CAG'ers

I had the Discovery version of Planet Earth on Blu-Ray once (until a disc snapped in half, first time that ever happened). I now own the BBC version and the video quality difference is noticeable.

The Discovery version is in 1080i while the BBC version is in 1080p.

Why do people keep saying that the BBC version is a UK version and the US version is Discovery. BBC is the American version which all retail stores in the US will sell once it comes out. The Discovery version is only sold by Discovery and its own stores. You will never see a Discovery version and a Best Buy or Target.

bread's done
Back