Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon $10.51(360) $11.93(PS3) FSS eligible

[quote name='Stele']Why does this game have such bad reviews?[/QUOTE]

I think people went into it with inappropriate expectations. The game is basically a mindless shooter that's meant to be played co-op. The "story" exists to give a (flimsy) reason to shoot giant bugs and blow stuff up. If you like this sort of game, you'll like EDF:IA.

[quote name='Stele']Why does this game have such bad reviews?[/QUOTE]

The game has a low-budget, B-movie feel to it, but it was never intended to be a full featured $60 game anyway. The series actually has a bit of a cult following. At times the previous game can fetch up to $20-30 used on eBay.

The best comparison I can think of is a online co-op Smash TV. Or maybe you could describe it as Dynasty Warriors with guns and enemies that are as tall as buildings. The lower difficulty settings are actually a bit boring, but once you step things up the action reaches levels of absolute insanity. There's a level-up mechanic and simple loot system in the game that are constantly rewarding you with new weapons to mow the endless waves of enemies down. It's by no means a deep game, but it is still a hell of a lot of fun. I bought when it first hit $20 and have had no regrets in doing so.

The reason this got bad reviews is because it's a poor sequel to EDF 2017.

The level designs have way less enemies in them. Plus there's a lot less variety to the missions and to the enemies.

Pick up EDF 2017 instead if you want to play a game in this series. It's much better.

[quote name='wEEman33']The reason this got bad reviews is because it's a poor sequel to EDF 2017.[/QUOTE]2017 didn't fair much better in the eyes of reviewers. It has a Metacritic of 69 compared to IA's 68. Each game has its strengths. I can't disagree that overall 2017 offers a better experience if you can live w/o online play and are willing to pay a higher cost for a used copy. The one benefit of a lower enemy count seemed to allow IA to pull off some slightly better looking graphics. IA also sacrifices level diversity in exchange for giving the player a few different character classes to use.

Just bought it along with Bioshock 2 at $9. And a few misc games to pop it up above $25 for FSSS. Looks fun for the price.

Sounds like it has online coop? If anyone wants to play together message me. Xbox owners.

not a bad game, but it feels like a job. if you want to be the max level you have to hold down the trigger and not let go for days.

the enemies aren't particularly fun to kill after a while either, and there arent that many differences in the guns you get, they just deal more damage with each level.

its the MMO of third person shooters.

[quote name='Panther Cat']I think people went into it with inappropriate expectations. The game is basically a mindless shooter that's meant to be played co-op. The "story" exists to give a (flimsy) reason to shoot giant bugs and blow stuff up. If you like this sort of game, you'll like EDF:IA.[/QUOTE]

Also I've heard it's pretty short but when the game is only around $10 that's so much an issue anymore, which is what had me not spend 40 even though I had a lot of fun with the other one on the 360. If the game is still this price when I get my trade-in credit from Amazon I'll probably pick it up.

[quote name='krashhole']I chose this over 2017 because it has online co-op. Send me a FR on XBL if any of you would like to play some co-op.[/QUOTE]

Tried to add you but Xbox.com is saying "krashhole" is invalid.

[quote name='silver2k1gt']This game blows. Save your money and put it towards a better game that might be a little more $[/QUOTE]

To each their own. It's not MEANT to be a high quality shooter. Me and my friends got this at Best Buy for $20 and have more than gotten our money's worth out of it and it's been several months. Co-op is the most fun of course

[quote name='DeathDream']Tried to add you but Xbox.com is saying "krashhole" is invalid.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. Forgot I changed it. DONNIE IS 2FAST is my GT.

[quote name='jedifrog21']To each their own. It's not MEANT to be a high quality shooter. Me and my friends got this at Best Buy for $20 and have more than gotten our money's worth out of it and it's been several months. Co-op is the most fun of course[/QUOTE]
Out of curiosity, do you have hundreds (say over 200) of current-gen console games? There's gotta be at least 300 games that fall into the category you descirbe in one way or another. Psychologically, this is standard buy shit cause it's cheap and then justify the sunk cost later by playing it a lot.

OK, I'll give it a try.
You guys don't usually steer me wrong when you recommend a game.

Picked up this, Enslaved, and a Strategy Guide for Ocarina of Time to get out of paying for shipping. Was going to get those other two items at some point anyway.

Huge, HUGE disappointment after the fun of EDF 2017. Do not recommend.

The only game to remind me of EDF 2017 was Space Marine and even then they had different styles and scopes, but the same sort of general fun

I had heard about EDF 2017 and really wanted this, so I bought it a while back and then sold it almost immediately. So bland and boring. So many better games out there if you have a backlog dont bother with this crap. I just finished playing 007 Blood Stone that I got for $5 from Best Buy and it has 10 times the quality and fun (since you get to act like a super human spy) even if it wasnt the best game. Just so many better games to play than to waste $10 on this game.

I didn't play very much of Insect Armageddon but it definitely felt not as good as the first one. First one's freakin' awesome.

[quote name='Stele']Out of curiosity, do you have hundreds (say over 200) of current-gen console games? There's gotta be at least 300 games that fall into the category you descirbe in one way or another. Psychologically, this is standard buy shit cause it's cheap and then justify the sunk cost later by playing it a lot.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy actually, I make my own

[quote name='wrencrest']I just finished playing 007 Blood Stone that I got for $5 from Best Buy and it has 10 times the quality and fun (since you get to act like a super human spy) even if it wasnt the best game.[/QUOTE]James Bond always looked like he was more interested in his cell phone rather than the gunfights he was currently involved with in that game. Super human spy indeed. :cool:

bread's done
Back