Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - Now available for $40!

[quote name='sp00ge']Lack of a manual detracts from the "completeness" for us picky collectors. It doesn't ruin the game for me, it's simply just an annoyance from a collector's standpoint.[/QUOTE]

Yea, every 360 game in my collection has a manual. I like to keep my games complete if possible.

I am not going to pass on this game because it doesn't have a manual, I am going to pass on it because I KNOW it will be cheaper in a few months time.

Once it hits $20, its mine :) (manual or not)

Just disappointed to hear it comes without a manual, and I am hoping that is not some new "trend" with current releases. What do they save by excluding a manual? 10-20 cents a copy? It's just sad that they have to pinch pennies like that...

[quote name='sp00ge']Lack of a manual detracts from the "completeness" for us picky collectors. It doesn't ruin the game for me, it's simply just an annoyance from a collector's standpoint.[/QUOTE]

I'm a collector too and I would never buy a used game that was missing a manual. But if the game literally doesn't come with one, then it is complete with case and disc.
I suppose it's less of an issue for me because I'm so used to buying downloadable games. All the help you could need should be within the game itself. But if you really need to have a paper manual weighing your case down, printing the PDF is the best and only option.

Game is awesome. Can't wait to try co-op with my friend tonight. I think I'm having more fun with this than most big budget games.

Well, I guess they don't want my money until this hits the bargain bin.

A shame, I was really looking forward to this game.
....really?
I don't get the hubbub over the current manual situation... it's not like you're getting an incomplete version of the game; if it never came with a manual in the first place then technically it's complete without a manual, right? The outrage over the lack of manuals is like some sorta phantom limb symptom; as if the only reason people are outraged is because they were so used to manuals that they feel it should still be there when it's not.
Outside of the collector logic, why would a cag even need a manual? Even if you wanna try and tell me that you still don't grasp how most every genre fundamentally works, the controls and gameplay schematics are almost always integrated into a training segment, or easily accessed at the pause menu, which makes a physical manual seem entirely superfluous.

[quote name='iamsmart']....really?
I don't get the hubbub over the current manual situation... it's not like you're getting an incomplete version of the game; if it never came with a manual in the first place then technically it's complete without a manual, right? The outrage over the lack of manuals is like some sorta phantom limb symptom; as if the only reason people are outraged is because they were so used to manuals that they feel it should still be there when it's not.
Outside of the collector logic, why would a cag even need a manual? Even if you wanna try and tell me that you still don't grasp how most every genre fundamentally works, the controls and gameplay schematics are almost always integrated into a training segment, or easily accessed at the pause menu, which makes a physical manual seem entirely superfluous.[/QUOTE]

Purchasing games that don't come with manuals supports the idea that people don't care about manuals, and publishers will continue to remove them.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Purchasing games that don't come with manuals supports the idea that people don't care about manuals, and publishers will continue to remove them.[/QUOTE]

This is absurd. Even if publishers somehow knew that a lack of a manual kept somewhere between 5-10 people from buying it, they would laugh in your face. All the key points have already been mentioned, but again - the game is complete if that's the way they made it and as download-only titles have proven for years, manuals are useless. Are you telling me that if it had one of those crap 4-page deals with pretty much no useful information then that would qualify as a "manual" and all would be well as far as you're concerned? I'm sure it actually saves quite a bit of money as far as having to have someone design the layout and then the actual physical costs on top of that. Someone said it best earlier - if it's between a game with no manual or no game at all, I'm choosing game.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Purchasing games that don't come with manuals supports the idea that people don't care about manuals, and publishers will continue to remove them.[/QUOTE]

Purchasing Earth Defense Force supports the idea that we would like more Earth Defense Force.

The last time I actually looked at a new game manual was probably out of sheer anticipation in the back seat of my parents' car on the way home from K-Mart circa 1995. I'm glad publishers are cutting them down, or completely out in this case.

With games as advanced as they are, and entirely capable of giving us the introductory run-down in-game, why waste the paper and printing costs? Hell, I'm a writer by trade and my industry would benefit from game manuals thriving too.

[quote name='bsmiff']The last time I actually looked at a new game manual was probably out of sheer anticipation in the back seat of my parents' car on the way home from K-Mart circa 1995. I'm glad publishers are cutting them down, or completely out in this case.

With games as advanced as they are, and entirely capable of giving us the introductory run-down in-game, why waste the paper and printing costs? Hell, I'm a writer by trade and my industry would benefit from game manuals thriving too.[/QUOTE]

So, while all these game publishers are saving publishing costs, where's the discount in how much the game costs? (EDF is only $40, I know, but they aren't the only people doing this.)

Lemme be a bit more clear: I buy tons of games on Steam, games that don't come with physical copies at all, much less manuals, but I'm cool with that because the GAMES ARE CHEAPER.

These game companies want to sell me a lesser product at the same price. That's not cool in my book, and I refuse to support such behavior, or else $60 downloadable Xbox games, that have prices as static as Games on Demand, like Halo Reach's continual $60 price tag, will become the norm.

Still, thinking a bit more about EDF in particular, it's low budget, and it's $40 price tag, I might be more inclined to buy the game than, say, a major big-budget title that decides to do the same thing.

I played through the first game twice. I will at least be renting this new one. Seeing it is only $40 at release means I may end up buying the game.

As to the manual debate. I couldn't care less if a game came with a manual. I don't remember the last time I looked at a game manual.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']So, while all these game publishers are saving publishing costs, where's the discount in how much the game costs? (EDF is only $40, I know, but they aren't the only people doing this.)

Lemme be a bit more clear: I buy tons of games on Steam, games that don't come with physical copies at all, much less manuals, but I'm cool with that because the GAMES ARE CHEAPER.

These game companies want to sell me a lesser product at the same price. That's not cool in my book, and I refuse to support such behavior, or else $60 downloadable Xbox games, that have prices as static as Games on Demand, like Halo Reach's continual $60 price tag, will become the norm.

Still, thinking a bit more about EDF in particular, it's low budget, and it's $40 price tag, I might be more inclined to buy the game than, say, a major big-budget title that decides to do the same thing.[/QUOTE]

I honestly think the lack of a manual these days shows great fiscal and worldly responsibility. The truth is we don't need them. They're a leftover relic from a time when games really needed accompanying instructions in print. For a game company to recognize this and attempt to break the mold is great.

I like to think the money saved not producing and mass printing manuals helps fund actual game development. Also, the paper and energy saved not printing manuals benefits the earth. Nothing wrong with that!

Oh and I think I might trade in my extra copy of :360: MK from the BB tournament stick clearance deal today for EDF. Excited for some co-op :)

I'd have more to say regarding the manuals, but I figured it'd be more on-track to ask if anyone else is current playing the game. What do you think of it so far?

I'm only about two hours in, and I don't really know if I'm feeling it as much as I did with its predecessor. I'm sure that technically this is a better game (and you can definitely notice that everything moves more fluidly), but I think I preferred 2017's "frame rate be damned" approach. The explosions aren't as big, and there don't seem to be as many enemies on screen... granted, the enemies seem to be a little bit smarter and imposing individually than they were before but I liked being able to blind fire my rocket launcher and see a whole cluster of ants and green blood flying through the air... you don't really seem to get that kind of splash damage in this game. Speaking of rocket launchers, the weapons don't seem have as much "oomph" as they used to. Maybe this will get better as I upgrade and such, but my current rocket launcher barely seems as useful as it was in 2017 and I seem to be having to reload my assault weapons rather frequently.

[quote name='iamsmart']I'd have more to say regarding the manuals, but I figured it'd be more on-track to ask if anyone else is current playing the game. What do you think of it so far?

I'm only about two hours in, and I don't really know if I'm feeling it as much as I did with its predecessor. I'm sure that technically this is a better game (and you can definitely notice that everything moves more fluidly), but I think I preferred 2017's "frame rate be damned" approach. The explosions aren't as big, and there don't seem to be as many enemies on screen... granted, the enemies seem to be a little bit smarter and imposing individually than they were before but I liked being able to blind fire my rocket launcher and see a whole cluster of ants and green blood flying through the air... you don't really seem to get that kind of splash damage in this game. Speaking of rocket launchers, the weapons don't seem have as much "oomph" as they used to. Maybe this will get better as I upgrade and such, but my current rocket launcher barely seems as useful as it was in 2017 and I seem to be having to reload my assault weapons rather frequently.[/QUOTE]

I like a lot of the changes, a dislike some of the others.

I like the larger levels better than some of the throw away levels of 2017. But I also dislike when I choose a weapon loadout where an objective would be much easier with a different loadout, only I can't change weapons without restarting a whole level. Plus the longer levels feel like a grind sometimes. I think I would've preferred smaller levels that just had better objectives. Also doesn't help that the levels don't have the variety of 2017.

I love the different classes. Being able to upgrade different abilities is great and they do feel different. Jetpack class kind of sucks to start out with though. Also since there are 4 different classes that slowly upgrade and you have weapon restrictions for the different classes, while there are twice the amount of weapons it feels like there are less, and that they're unlocking slowly, when you're playing through as one class.

Reloading is a nice addition, but Active Reload I do not like because it focuses my attention on how long the reload times can be, and the timing feels off for pressing the button.

Survival and 3 player co-op are both great additions.

I don't have a problem with the number of on-screen enemies. There are times when it seems like the sky and ground are covered with them. I like that enemies have weight, so when a carrier crashes it looks awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry but at least a real manual exist. How many games got 4-6 pages "manual" that gives you nothing?

[quote name='eastx']Egad, maybe it's not too late to get it from BestBuy. But next time, let's post this more than a day before the game comes out! ;)[/QUOTE]

It might not only be Pre-Orders and I think is while supplies last. I got my instore pickup today at Best Buy.

There is an Advertisement on the front of the box on the left underneath the EDF logo that tells you there is a bonus(i.e Jet armor Weopons pack)

The DLC code is a redeemable online code inside the case in the spot where the manual should be.. ;)

So check your Best Buys or Gamestops and check the cover, if it says there is a DLC code, then there is one inside!

Gamestop said it should be a receipt code but they got an email saying the code was messed up. When they enter it the receipt will state EDF 2017 IA Pack but no code appears. They said to check back in a few days.

I ended up picking up the game at Best Buy yesterday. I played the first mission last night.

I'm finding the weapon reloading to be annoying. It has the little bar in the middle for an active reload like Gears of War. I was having a really hard time hitting it at first. If you miss it, the reload takes forever.

Otherwise, the game seems like more EDF. I played the mission with the jet armor that I guess only came with the game if you bought it at BB. At the start of mission 2, that armor was not an option. So, it must only be usable on certain missions.

Weapon reloading doesn't work as well as Gears of War. Either the timing is off or you have to ridiculously precise, which is weak.

Haven't played that much yet, but I think EDF 2017 felt a little better. Hopefully I'll get used to the controls and gameplay here.

[quote name='eastx']Weapon reloading doesn't work as well as Gears of War. Either the timing is off or you have to ridiculously precise, which is weak.

Haven't played that much yet, but I think EDF 2017 felt a little better. Hopefully I'll get used to the controls and gameplay here.[/QUOTE]

I find hitting it like half a second early works well for me.

[quote name='Hoffer']I ended up picking up the game at Best Buy yesterday. I played the first mission last night.

I'm finding the weapon reloading to be annoying. It has the little bar in the middle for an active reload like Gears of War. I was having a really hard time hitting it at first. If you miss it, the reload takes forever.

Otherwise, the game seems like more EDF. I played the mission with the jet armor that I guess only came with the game if you bought it at BB. At the start of mission 2, that armor was not an option. So, it must only be usable on certain missions.[/QUOTE]

The Jet Armor is part of every game, it was just Jet Armor specific weapons that you get from Best Buy.

Also, I thought the same about the Jet Armor not being an option at first, but what's actually going on is that you unlock 1 of the 4 armors at the beginning of each of the first 4 missions. After you pick a new armor to unlock, you can switch back to the Jet Armor on the loadout screen.

Finished the game.
That ending was a huge bummer
.Gonna go through it again though.

Edit EDF IA is 29.99 used at gamestop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some questions:

How do the upgrades work? Much customization?

Are the suit powers varied much? Or is one 'the best'?

Are there a ton of useless weapons like the first game?

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I have some questions:

How do the upgrades work? Much customization?

Are the suit powers varied much? Or is one 'the best'?

Are there a ton of useless weapons like the first game?[/QUOTE]

-Upgrades work like leveling up in another game. Depending on which suit you use your score will go to unlocking the next upgrade level. On normal that's capped at level 5.

-Suit powers are varied. Trooper has access to more weapons, and those weapons appear to have more forgiving active reload bars. Tactical can deploy turrets/mines.

Battle is a heavy armor/weapons suit with a power shield. Moves slower.

Jet can fly and use energy weapons.

Of those the Jet class to me so far feels the least useful as you don't fly high, for long, and the energy to fly is the same energy used for the energy weapons.

-Less useless weapons, they unlock in different tiers now as well.

Of those the Jet class to me so far feels the least useful as you don't fly high, for long, and the energy to fly is the same energy used for the energy weapons.
I second that, I'd also add that when you're a Jet (heh) you seem to be an easier target when you're in the air... I got pegged quite a bit more by acid and other projectiles while floating around compared to strafing on the ground. The only use I had with the jet class was in the last few missions when I needed to constantly revive my idiot AI partners who were halfway across the map.

I just beat the game on normal (at least I think I did... there are no more levels for me to choose but the ending was rather... abrupt): I like some of the things they added and I definitely enjoyed the radio chatter more than before but I didn't like the partner AI, the lack of locations, the relatively small amount of enemy types, or the feel of the weapons.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Of those the Jet class to me so far feels the least useful as you don't fly high, for long, and the energy to fly is the same energy used for the energy weapons.[/QUOTE]

I played through the whole game co-op as the Jet Armor, and it was very useful. It's more of a support class, really. I could jet around the battlefield picking up health to keep us alive. I usually had a grenade launcher and a missile launcher equipped, so I could get up on a rooftop and start bombing large groups, and keeping the skies clear with the missile launcher. By the end of the game, I had nearly 600 gunship kills, while my friend had less than 100. Definitely a fun class when you get the hang of it.

We're playing through again with different armors, so we'll see how the Battle Armor works out this time. EDF!!!

[quote name='BlueWingX']I played through the whole game co-op as the Jet Armor, and it was very useful. It's more of a support class, really. I could jet around the battlefield picking up health to keep us alive. I usually had a grenade launcher and a missile launcher equipped, so I could get up on a rooftop and start bombing large groups, and keeping the skies clear with the missile launcher. By the end of the game, I had nearly 600 gunship kills, while my friend had less than 100. Definitely a fun class when you get the hang of it.

We're playing through again with different armors, so we'll see how the Battle Armor works out this time. EDF!!![/QUOTE]

Good point, I can see it being useful when playing with others, especially for support. In the solo campaign however, your AI squadmates follow you around... with the battle always being brought to you, it's hard to stake out on a rooftop without it crashing down five seconds later.

Loving this game. Anybody have problems connecting to multiplayer games? It either times out or says the room is full. My NAT is wide open.

My only complaint is that I wish there were a better flow to build to the waves of enemies. The levels will build the waves for a time, and then you feel a sense of accomplishment for example taking down a giant hector only to be faced with two more hectors, a mantis, a couple carriers, wasps, and tics (gah, I hate tics!). It's too big a jump to be the next objective. More enemies would be nice, and the weapons don't upgrade fast enough. But otherwise, it plays great and you knows what it's there to do.

Great game.I leveled all characters to level 7 and got 98 of 107 weapons.It's all online from here.I see a lot of review outlets shitting on this game.It's stupid fun and find that like the original it's the weapons that keep bringing me back to the game,blow shit up the game.

anyone got suggestions for weapons for tactical? i'm tier 6, and don't currently have enough money to buy all the weapons. i am wondering between the shystem something, and a fonbis (?) that is 3-round burst homing. i think the shystem one has better overall damage, just wondering if the other one is any good without having to buy it first.

i am still using a grenade launcher. is there a more useful secondary weapon?

not a bad game, but after 4 hours. im done. might just rubber band it. sending back to gamefly once my Friend sends his back to family video

u-r-dead.jpg

bread's done
Back