EastX's "Next Gen" universal arcade stick project!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Okay, I have another arcade stick thread but that's for a different stick. This stick deserves a thread of its own. This project is to make a single arcade stick that works with all 3 next-gen consoles - the Xbox 360, the Playstation 3, and the Nintendo Wii. It will also work with PC and GameCube - can you imagine?!

The stick and buttons are Happ Competition parts and the housing is a Street Fighter Anniversary Collection stick. So far the 360 and PS3 portions work - you can find detailed instructions and photos in my thread at Shoryuken.

vendettasticktop.jpg

I messed up the button holes a little bit, but it's still kind of pretty.

vendettastickmadvatzpcbwired.jpg

This is how the insides look right now. Yeah, I got messy with the wiring towards the end.

Chacrana, everything can't be awesome-hot girls. :) This stick is a lot more complicated and revolutionary than my J-girl stick, internally.

I wish I could take orders but I'm very busy and it's so expensive that people don't usually want to go through with it. Trust me, expensive!

I've been meaning to do this sort of thing for the past half decade. I've even got the parts, but I never feel up to doing it.

My plan was to make the stick and make plug-in modules containing the guts of controllers for each separate system. I'd make the stick, wire it up to a printer port, and have the modules wired up to the opposite gender of the printer port. All directions and buttons would be standardized, so everything would work as it should. That way it would be simple to add support for more systems.

[quote name='Krohboy']Mike.m - I could maybe do it for you, but I don't really feel like it.[/quote]

Well, its a start.

Chuplayer, people often make sticks like that with project boxes. The controllers still need to be common ground like the ones I used. You should check out the Shoryuken forums if you ever decide to give it a go.

gamecubepcbmounted.jpg

Hey everybody, it's done!!! The instructions at SRK are complete too.

vendettafrontcomplete.jpg

Gotta show some Capcom love.

vendettabackcomplete.jpg

Arcade sticks are good for all kinds of arcade games, not just fighting games.

That looks phenomenal. I simply must learn how to do this. Can you point me to a good starter article? I would not have issues with the assembly, but I wouldn't know where to begin with the wiring...

Nice stick. I still haven't finished my wireless 360 stick yet. Maybe tomorrow. . . I still don't have any paint though.

And your wiring looks neat compared to mine.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']That looks phenomenal. I simply must learn how to do this. Can you point me to a good starter article? I would not have issues with the assembly, but I wouldn't know where to begin with the wiring...[/quote]

Check out the Shoryuken.com forums. Plenty of advice from the many master builders that hang out there.

[quote name='Strell']Nice work for an English major. :][/QUOTE]

Thanks! Well, electrical engineering is my minor. ;)

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Nice stick. I still haven't finished my wireless 360 stick yet. Maybe tomorrow. . . I still don't have any paint though.

And your wiring looks neat compared to mine.[/QUOTE]

Hank, you just need two things to get the wiring neat: barrier strips (the black things with screws all over 'em) and wire clips (or whatever they're called, the things holding the wires in place along the stick housing).

But if you don't paint your stick first, how can you put the buttons in and wire them up?

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']That looks phenomenal. I simply must learn how to do this. Can you point me to a good starter article? I would not have issues with the assembly, but I wouldn't know where to begin with the wiring...[/QUOTE]

Aww, thanks. Yeah, I think this guide covers most everything. Everybody thinks soldering is some tremendous undertaking, like learning brain surgery or watching the movie Ultraviolet without throwing up. It's actually really easy. You just melt the solder on the iron's tip, touch the stripped end of the wire to whatever you're connecting it to, and then hold the iron's top on the wire long enough to get it to stick.
The only hard parts in a project like this are: 1-modifying the stick housing (if necessary), and 2-when you're trying to perform a mod that is not well-documented. For example, there was no documentation at all on using GameCube pads inside of sticks, so we had to figure some of that stuff out along the way.

If you decide you want to take the plunge and start making sticks, I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

[quote name='eastx']THank, you just need two things to get the wiring neat: barrier strips (the black things with screws all over 'em) and wire clips (or whatever they're called, the things holding the wires in place along the stick housing).

But if you don't paint your stick first, how can you put the buttons in and wire them up?
[/QUOTE]

I use quick disconnects or whatever they're called. So I can just pop them off of the buttons and remove them, the stick, and the PCB. I haven't painted yet because I don't have paint, plus I like to do things like painting and staining in the garage, and it's still a little too cool for that.

Ah, I thought you might say that, Hank. QDs are very convenient, but I always use Kynar wire so I can't utilized QDs in my sticks. Please tell me you've finished your stick now. ;)

Oh yeah, somebody else copied my design! Actually he seems to have made his stick first, but you'll notice some clear aesthetic differences. Whose looks better? Hmm...

The Wanna-V Stick

bread's done
Back