Easy ways to make a few bucks

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I thought it might be interesting to post some easy ways people can make some quick money legitimately, or very close to it without breaking the law.

Here's mine.

When my friends needed money, they used to go out really early on recycling day and take everyone's cans and bottles. They would fill their entire SUV up. Then, they would turn them in at the recycling place and get like $30. Easy way to make a few bucks and the people shouldn't mind you taking their recyclables since they will only be taken anyway.

its like that episode of Seinfeld where Newman and Kramer try to collect cans, the only problem for them was the cost of gas, which would be the same problem for me. Hell we have parties at my place all the time, but no body wants cans of beast in their car for any period of time.

I'm not sure I even believe this was a serious post, but I figured I would reply. I don't know how laws vary from region to region, but in many places this practice actually would be illegal. I have read about cases where businesses have been sued for such things. Of course in those cases, the guilty party was routinely doing this.

I think the arguments fall along the lines of that the items are property of the owner, but in getting garbage/recycling service they are turning that property over to the collection agency. Since some collection services make profits from selling the items they pick up, they have a stake in not wanting others taking their items. I think the argument also is about protecting privacy of the information in the cans/keeping outsiders out of personal property.

Now in practice this is rarely enforced--especially for random individuals taking an item here and there.

BrerDan

Yeah, this was actually supposed to be a serious thread.

I figured this practice is probably frowned upon, but I doubt most people would care if they found out you were just trying to make a few bucks.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']

When my friends needed money, they used to go out really early on recycling day and take everyone's cans and bottles. They would fill their entire SUV up. Then, they would turn them in at the recycling place and get like $30. Easy way to make a few bucks and the people shouldn't mind you taking their recyclables since they will only be taken anyway.[/quote]

We have a guy who does this every week on my street on trash pickup day. For some reason, it really bugs me. I know what you're saying about how it's just going to be taken away anyway, but I just don't like having some stranger going through my trash. He's in his 40's (that's a guess) and I just can't help thinking of him as a lowlife. I just wait to put out the recycling bin now until after he's made his rounds. Hey, look at my avatar- I'm 160 years old, so it shouldn't be surprising if I'm crotchety and grouchy sometimes.

My friends and I used to do that as kids. I was around 11 or 12. We'd put on our worst clothes and some rubber gloves and hit all the apartment dumpsters. We even had favorites, like the college guys who did nothing but party. SCORE! We'd save up the cans for about a week and then cash them in. Then we'd head to the arcade! Gaming heaven I tell ya. Our parents didn't quite like the smell though. :D

Dude you need to step up to Garbage Picking 200, the advanced course. Collecting cans is kid stuff.

I used to do this shit, go around to dumpsters and junk, people through out UNBELIEVABLE stuff. My favorite is going around to the college campuses around move out time (there are a lot in my area, I drive past 4 just on my 20 minute ride to work) and just rake in the goodies. Free microwaves, fridges, furniture, books by boatload, video games, computers, TONS of VCRs, TVs, toaster ovens, free wood... I guess they just decide that it's too much work to pack it up and take it home with them - I just think the real problem is they got more money than brains. I had a friend find a working Sega Saturn and a stack of about 20 games once.

I keep what I like, then sell it back to the students in the fall. The more valuable stuff I'll sell on ebay.

I don't consider it stooping low or dirty at all - it's good money, good for the environment, and more fun than anything.

Oh yeah also a good way to make a few bucks when you need it is to donate plasma. $30 a pop usually, and I think you can donate twice a week.

I've really thought about this plasma thing. Don't they basically just take some blood from you and get the plasma that way.

That's and extra $60 a week. If that's the case, I'm seriously going to be doing that on a weekly basis until I can barely walk.

Most can redemption sites only allow up to 10 dollars worth of returns, so I would have to go around to a bunch of other places. But if somone else comes along I guess we could split it.

[quote name='ezempel']Oh yeah also a good way to make a few bucks when you need it is to donate plasma. $30 a pop usually, and I think you can donate twice a week.[/quote]

Its funny how the word "donate" is used. When you make a donation, your not supposed to be payed for it.

[quote name='daphatty']My friends and I used to do that as kids. I was around 11 or 12. We'd put on our worst clothes and some rubber gloves and hit all the apartment dumpsters. We even had favorites, like the college guys who did nothing but party. SCORE! We'd save up the cans for about a week and then cash them in. Then we'd head to the arcade! Gaming heaven I tell ya. Our parents didn't quite like the smell though. :D[/quote]

When my dad tought ROTC at UConn, I would go to work with him over the summer and do that. I use to make bank! I sometimes got up to $20 a day. I would blow at lot of it on candy and the arcarde. I then saved up to get a pair of Reebok Pumps. I still have those babies too.

Above the rim biotch!!!!!!!!!
14376083074_235.jpg

hey i've got an easier way to make money..

go to a sperm bank and make a "donation" and get 50 bucks.. make 2 donations get 100... and BOOM you got yourself some money

also when i read ur thing about taking the bottles from trashcans and recycling em.. i thought u mean like.. go around where they had specialized cans just for plastics and stuff and stealing all of the plastic bottles and stuff inside lmao... that'd be alot easier..

o yea i forgot.. i dont know exactly where chicks go, but uh.. if they donate one of their eggs, they get like $1000 ... :(

When I was between the ages of 12-14 and couldn't really get legit work anywhere I used to go with my mom (she still works there actually) and my younger brother. We'd both go around and grab the "smart carts" that people would buy and put their luggage on. They were available for rental for $1.50 I think and each one was worth $.25 when you returned them. A lot of people didn't even bother taking them back since everyone at the airport was usually in a hurry. Anyway we'd round up a bunch of carts and go home with a ton of quarters. We'd also sell the carts sometimes for $1 and undercut the cart company. Anyway it worked out to making between $6-$7 an hour (untaxed), so that was pretty good when I was younger.

[quote name='Cracka']hey i've got an easier way to make money..

go to a sperm bank and make a "donation" and get 50 bucks.. make 2 donations get 100... and BOOM you got yourself some money

also when i read ur thing about taking the bottles from trashcans and recycling em.. i thought u mean like.. go around where they had specialized cans just for plastics and stuff and stealing all of the plastic bottles and stuff inside lmao... that'd be alot easier..

o yea i forgot.. i dont know exactly where chicks go, but uh.. if they donate one of their eggs, they get like $1000 ... :([/quote]

This works with Plasma too by the by, although you can only give it twice a week and at my college (CMU) that works out to $60 a week. However, I don't enjoy giving my blood plasma so I've never done it. My roommate who is significantly larger does it all the time, but I guess he just has more blood plasma to spare.

When I was a teenager my firiend and I would save all of our cans, load them up in the car, and take them up to Michigan. We would stop at the places that had the automatic can returns that would just read the UPC to make sure they sold that particular product. We'd get 10 cents per can, but paid zero deposit. I know it was unethical, but we would pull in between $150 and $200 a trip.

I've really thought about this plasma thing. Don't they basically just take some blood from you and get the plasma that way.

That's and extra $60 a week. If that's the case, I'm seriously going to be doing that on a weekly basis until I can barely walk.

My brother used to donate blood too often, and he actually almost ended up with some major health problems (related to his mouth/teeth mostly). They made him stop doing it. Be careful.

[quote name='Cracka']hey i've got an easier way to make money..

o yea i forgot.. i dont know exactly where chicks go, but uh.. if they donate one of their eggs, they get like $1000 ... :([/quote]

Yeah, that seems like a fun way at first, but the last thing I need in 20 years is 30 to 40 20-year-old kids coming to try to find their long-lost daddy. Plus, I don't think the wife would much appreciate other women sticking my sperm inside them.

theres a guy in my neighborhood that picks cans all week long. one time i stopped him and asked, "do you make money? or is this jus a hobby" while i was asking him this, he pulls out a keychain and presses a remote. a car sounds off, as i turn my head i realized its a brand spanking new 02' lexus (this was in 02) i was shocked. then asked do u have a job? "he said ofcourse not, y would i be out here in the middle of the day.. and hopped into his lexus with bags of cans in the trunk.

and in 04 i jus found out, that recycling is big big business. if you can recycle a truck crate of broken monitors, car parts, anything metal you can hawk it for almost 10,000 yep 10 Gs, but profits will be minus cost of transport ect.

.... u dont get 10,000 dollars for a truck full of scrap metal..

at the place my dad works, they have to take down chainlink fences and the pipes and shit, and so they have alot of scrap metal. they load up the whole back of this big ass truck, with the metal stacked higher than the cab of the truck and they usually get less than $100 for that.

when i say truck, i ment big rig. like the ones at your import/export harbors. and sadly everything is being outsourced. a close relative of mine does this for a living. and every bin he stocks and ships he gets 10%, he makes about $60k a year for part time work.

ic.. well a normal sized truck with a flat bed filled with metal above the cab, will only get you around $100, but this could just be in my town.. but if you say that you have a family member that does it, i'll take ur word for it

Well the price of scrap metal has just skyrocket recently - I think a car will bring in $200-$250 nowadays which is just huge. Cheaper than importing steel I guess.

I guess you can cant can collecting as my first job. I was always trying to make money even as a 10 yr old. It's hard not to notice that making money is important. So I started to walk around and collect all these old cans littered everywhere...I remember spending all day getting a bag or two and then getting my dad to take me to recycling...I would get like $8 or something but it was like a goldmine to me.

On a side note: My first apartment was totally furnished from the garbage. It's insane what people threw out. Sometimes we got so much good stuff that we had to throw away stuff we already had in the house. We had like 3 couches...

[quote name='defender']On a side note: My first apartment was totally furnished from the garbage. It's insane what people threw out. Sometimes we got so much good stuff that we had to throw away stuff we already had in the house. We had like 3 couches...[/quote]

Hahaha, that's great. I've been told that the trashmen that go on Air Force bases get the best deals of all. A lot of Airmen get big signing bonuses when they first join, so they have a bunch of money to go out and buy expensive furniture and electronics. Also, tons of young couples are in the Air Force, and a lot of them don't work out.

So you get these Airmen who cheat on their wives or do something else to piss them off, so the wife goes and throws all their shit out at the dumpster. The trashmen come through and just take the shit.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='defender']On a side note: My first apartment was totally furnished from the garbage. It's insane what people threw out. Sometimes we got so much good stuff that we had to throw away stuff we already had in the house. We had like 3 couches...[/quote]

Hahaha, that's great. I've been told that the trashmen that go on Air Force bases get the best deals of all. A lot of Airmen get big signing bonuses when they first join, so they have a bunch of money to go out and buy expensive furniture and electronics. Also, tons of young couples are in the Air Force, and a lot of them don't work out.

So you get these Airmen who cheat on their wives or do something else to piss them off, so the wife goes and throws all their shit out at the dumpster. The trashmen come through and just take the shit.[/quote]
Freakin awesome.

nah... i just discovered this, this past fall i believe?.. dunno.. anyways.. u can make a shitload of cash off of pecans. There is this company about 30 minutes from where i live that sells pecans to many other towns.. so they buy pecans from the locals...

you can get like.. 75 cents per lb.. and within a couple of hours, i managed to pick up like 3 burlap sacks full. i made a couple hundred dollars in that week that i picked up pecans :p .. and thats only because i didnt know about it until a week or so after it started.. i coulda been rollin in cash.

WOW what a bunch of losers collecting cans? There is easier ways to make money. Sperm is one of them I donate sperm every 2 weeks I get $100 a week just by masturbating.

its so sad to see someone from this board would call collecting or recycling cans a act of "loserism". first of all recycling helps our earth and economy. humans are using up resources like crazy, and eventually earth will run out of resources and start mining outer space. no joke. donating sperm to help couples or single females does help the few people involved. but if you were to weight the outcome, which would be more beneficial to the society as a whole? more people? or more resources? i dont know man. maybe we jus have different values.

Just a few days ago, me and my bud was walkin' down the street to the neighborhood Walgreens...

Well anyway, I stopped to look at this Walgreen bag at a street corner. inside was some shoe replacement soles. I was just bout to walk away, until my friend suggested we do something with it. Well anyway, I was thinking since it was like dropped or abandoned there, it had to be for good use or a hobo might pick it up soon, so I agreed. The receipt inside said it was like purchased just an hour ago, and the nearest walgreens was like 5 minutes away, so I was just about to goof around with it until my friend had an good idea. since there was a receipt in there, he suggested we return it! I was dumb enough to not think of that. It was worth $11 in total. So anyway, I returned it to the Walgreens and signed my name on the receipt. I know, it was a good find, but I did feel sorry for the person who could have dropped it.

I like to snoop for loose change in stores under shelves and stuff.. sometimes I find like nickels or quarters. :)

Recycling cans makes you look liks a street bum. Second collecting a few can makes no difference in the world millions of cans get threw in the trash everyday.

donating sperm is so much easier just whip it out stroke and boom you got $50. so what if i have kids out there i don't care all i did was blow a wad of fluid out of my body.

ur a idiot starman, im not talking about going to pick cans on your street, but if everyone in the world recycled 1 freaken can do you know how much of a difference it would make? just like if everyone in the world gave you 1 cent you'd be fawken rich. dude. how can ppl be so ignorant? where's big nick when u need him, i need some regulators.

bread's done
Back