EB Games Product Replacement Plan

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
So - a couple of days ago, I got a Nintendo DS off eBay that came with a $15 EB Games Product Replacement Plan that's effective until 12/27/05. I've heard that they'll basically replace any piece of equipment that's been damaged.
It arrived today with some touch-screen scratches. Nothing major... when I'm playing, I don't really notice them at all. But when the power is off, they're kinda visible. Tried cleaning the screens, no dice... they're actual scratches.
Figured I'd get my money out of the Product Replacement Plan and called up EBGames... and they said that this wasn't covered because it was considered 'misuse or abuse.' I told them that the system had been damaged during normal play and they said that there was no way to verify that, blah blah blah, but that it might be best if I take it down to my local EBGames to see what the manager there thinks.
So... what gives? Is the Product Replacement Plan just a rip-off or is there some secret codeword I'm missing? The guy hinted that I'd be able to get a return if the machine wouldn't play games, but... that seems kinda ridiculous.

I bought one for Forza and the Clerk which is the manager, said that if anything happens to it ike if i take it to my firends house and it gets scratched they would give me a brand new copy.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I bought one for Forza and the Clerk which is the manager, said that if anything happens to it ike if i take it to my firends house and it gets scratched they would give me a brand new copy.[/QUOTE]

I concur ;) I'm under the impression that they'll replace it in any condition as long as its not straight up on purpose destruction.

Can't hurt to try bringing it up to the store to see what they say. Anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?
And - does it matter that the receipt for this thing is from halfway across the country? On one hand, if I tell them that I got this off of eBay and I want it replaced, I think I'm going to get kicked out of the store. On the other hand, I'd rather not make up a bullshit story about getting it from a relative or something...

Don't mention eBay. Just say a family member bought it where they lived, or you did while on vacation. They will honor it regardless of where you purchased it, but make them know YOU purchased it.

The GPG and the PRP are 2 different warrantys. While on a GPG as long as the disc is still in one piece we can replace it, the PRP is different because we might not get credit for damaged systems that were damaged by user "misuse"

Very YMMV, but most stores SHOULD replace your Ds hassle free.

While I'm not saying to do this, as it is UNETHICAL, sometimes business lie to you to get your money.

Yeah, I know two wrongs don't make a right...

This sounds like an instance where the microwave can be your best friend. 4 seconds in the ol' baby will fry the insides enough so it won't work...

All replacement plans are a rip off. Trust me anything you buy with a replacement plan that breaks will piss you off more then buying something. having it break and then having to pay full price for a new one. basically I am saying, that you will take something to the store and they will bring up something about how that is not covered or actually cause of this and that and the ending letters in the model were never covered. however they had no problems selling you the items in the first place. I never buy service plans or replacement plans etc. the stores sell them not to help you with your purchase or "investment" as they say. but to make some more coin on the initial sale. However you screen scratches. I would not cover, it is part or normal wear and tear. it is bound to happen, and if they were exchanging everyone cause of that simple thing they would lose money. I say if it bothers you alot. drop the it and then ask for a replacement.

[quote name='joevan07']I concur ;) I'm under the impression that they'll replace it in any condition as long as its not straight up on purpose destruction.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I was thinking to then I just came out and asked him if one of my friends scratch it can i bring it back and he said sure. But i guess youll just have to lie about how it happened.

[quote name='pimpinc333']Thats why I was thinking to then I just came out and asked him if one of my friends scratch it can i bring it back and he said sure. But i guess youll just have to lie about how it happened.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much - as long as you're not retarted and walk in "Hey, I broke this to get a new one"- the warranty should hold. Most of the time I just say "It broke" , no story's needed and I get my replacement w/o hassle.

bread's done
Back