EB Games raising the prices of certain new releases by 5 dollars

I keep hearing from Americans that Best Buy is actually in the shit at the moment. Not sure how they can justify inflating the price on titles that would sell really well for them. Watch Dogs for example, is $69.99 at EB, and they're selling the CE for $149.99, I mean... I dunno if I could see BB matching that. Like you said, Amazon is primed, no pun intended, for a spell of success otherwise.

Any word on Wal-mart's stance on all this right now? Their site isn't really reliable, but I do see that Donkey Kong is still $49.99 there. 

EDIT: On the whole, bad CAD or not, I meant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really sure what's Walmarts stance on this right now. I haven't been to one in a while.

Hmm that's fair. 

I do remember that I went into EB one time and they let me take a picture of their top picks of games for the month, wasn't sure if anyone had direct access to that list. 

I was just told by the guy I know at my EB, that any pre-order made before Jan 20th, you get the game at it's original price before the increase.

I notice that the sales page on EB's website lists The LEGO Movie Videogame at $5 off.  Maybe this will be their solution?  Have a $5 off sale for the first day or two, when people are picking up their pre-orders?

Tomorrow's the big day.  The first major release of the year that's had its price hiked since pre-orders opened.  Let's see what happens...

I can confirm that the price of new games will be $59.99 if that was what the price was when you pre-ordered it. I picked up Lightning Returns today and the receipt shows a $5 price correction. I paid for mine by trading in games back on Jan 17th however.

Seems like Amazon is raising a lot of $40 titles to $45 but I couldn't see any $60 titles being raised. Yoshi's New Island, Ragnarok Odyssey ACE, Deception IV (Vita) and Rayman Legends (PS4) are some examples but it doesn't apply to all future titles. Yet. Tropical Freeze is also $55.

Price on amazon.ca and ebgames is still 44.99.
Price on amazon.com adjusted to 29.99 (msrp is still 39.99, showing a 10 dollar discount to bring it down to 29.99)

Man, these canadian prices are so bad. Being a Nintendo guy it's already incredibly hard to find deals, now the prices are shooting way up.

Yoshi 3DS: $45 ($40)

Mario Kart 8: $65 ($60)

DKC Berry Blitz: $55 ($50)

Yet Kirby 3DS is $40, it hasn't gone up yet. Mario Kart 8 was $60 until a few days ago and it went up, so I think Kirby will go up soon as well.

Whelp, now they're listing some games as high as 69.99, some of them being:

• Destiny
  • Elder Scrolls Online
  • MLB 14: The Show
  • Watch Dogs
  • Wolfenstein
  • Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
  • The Order: 1886
I know I don't usually buy games new, but perk up for certain releases, such as Dark Souls 2 and certain HD releases (FFX HD and Tales of Symphonia). But having this 10 dollar increase is quite a lot, it's over a 15% increase on prices, which I think is just silly.

Whelp, now they're listing some games as high as 69.99, some of them being:

• Destiny
  • Elder Scrolls Online
  • MLB 14: The Show
  • Watch Dogs
  • Wolfenstein
  • Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
  • The Order: 1886
I know I don't usually buy games new, but perk up for certain releases, such as Dark Souls 2 and certain HD releases (FFX HD and Tales of Symphonia). But having this 10 dollar increase is quite a lot, it's over a 15% increase on prices, which I think is just silly.
Majority of those games have been those prices for a while now.

They started off by only a 5 dollar increase. If you look at my original post it shows them as only a 5 dollar increase, but now it's up to 10.
Yes, but like I said they had an additional $5 increase on top of the old $5 increase a while back. Best Buy/Futureshop and other retailers are doing the same thing.

Brutal.  I think I'm done buying games on release day.  With the market so flooded, they all go on sale for $39.99 within a couple months of release, anyway.  That'll be my new price point for must haves, beyond the most extreme of rare cases.

Brutal. I think I'm done buying games on release day. With the market so flooded, they all go on sale for $39.99 within a couple months of release, anyway. That'll be my new price point for must haves, beyond the most extreme of rare cases.
Depends what games you buy. Nintendo games rarely go on sale and those are my favorites. I think between now and September 2013 there have only been Black Friday and Boxing Day price drops, theyve been full price otherwise. Sad stuff.

Actually, some retailers have had Nintendo games on sale recently. Pokemon X&Y are both $30 right now at Staples. Still, I plan on buying games day one, majority will just be niche titles for a while.

Actually, some retailers have had Nintendo games on sale recently. Pokemon X&Y are both $30 right now at Staples. Still, I plan on buying games day one, majority will just be niche titles for a while.
The US is getting a lot of great Nintendo deals. 20% off eshop cards, Buy 1 get 1 free for Wii U titles, they have Pokemon X&Y at $20 right now... Canada gets that Pokemon deal and a handful of console bundle rebates but not much for current owners. I think Nintendo's marketing team just forgot about Canada or something.

Canada usually always gets shafted in deals. But man, we had some good ones back when the XL first released. Futureshop had trade 5 games and get an XL free.

EBGames had some good ones too, trade in a $15 or more game, and get Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, both Zelda,etc for free. There's also been some good deals on other things during Boxing Day.

Like Target selling NSMB2/Mario Kart 7/etc for $15 each. ToysRUs had Donkey Kong Country 3D for $20.

I noticed while in the Real Canadian Super Store the price for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze was still $49.99. That might be a store not doing the $5-$10 game price increase so far. 

I pre-ordered Destiny the other day (for the beta code, really). I brought up price protection to the clerk, and she ended up mentioning the CAD and "when it goes back up". I mean, even if it does, like in 2010, retailers are still gonna keep that fixed $69.99 for a while anyway. Unless publishers instruct them not to, which I'm hoping happens, because at the end of the day they still need their game to sell.

Damn I was gonna preorder this weekend.

Have any prices gone down since the bump, or have they only gone up?
Wonderful 101 dropped to $35 from $60, but in the US it's $30, so it's safe to say the $5 increase will be reflected on any price changes, even price drops.

Damn I was gonna preorder this weekend.

Have any prices gone down since the bump, or have they only gone up?
I managed to pre-order it before they increased it. I know they decreased the price of Professor Layton back down to $39.99 for some reason for a bit. But it went back to $44.99.

I'm surprised that some 3DS games have gotten the increase but Kirby Triple Deluxe remains $40. I want to pre-order just in case, but it could be that it will launch at $35 in the US like Animal Crossing & Donkey Kong did. Whatever the case, this dang increase has guaranteed that I won't be buying new releases anytime soon. :(

Mario Golf: World Tour is still $34.99, where as in the States you can get it for $29.99 right now at Amazon.com.

I'll be interested to see Yoshi's price on the eShop come Friday. It's $44.99 in most stores right now, so will the eShop reflect this, or stick with the American $39.99 price point?

Not that I'm buying it digitally. I'll be using my stock of SDM points for 3DS games and Nintendo Points when need be.

I'll be interested to see Yoshi's price on the eShop come Friday. It's $44.99 in most stores right now, so will the eShop reflect this, or stick with the American $39.99 price point?

Not that I'm buying it digitally. I'll be using my stock of SDM points for 3DS games and Nintendo Points when need be.
I'd say the price will be raised. The new Professor Layton game is currently $45 on the eShop and I think some stores were selling it for $40 a while back.

bread's done
Back