EB Games-Trade in 80GB PS3, GET $300

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
This is from another thread...but I think its BIG enough to warrant its own...

YOU MUST USE IT TOWARDS THE160GB PS3!

The 160GB is on SALE at EB GAMES!
Currently $20 OFF WITH THREE FREE GAMES!

Uncharted
Resistance 2 CE($80)
SOCOM+Bluetooth HEADSET!

THANK YOU!
snuter
user_online.gif

CAG in Training

I was told that if you trade an 80 gb PS3 with a controller (sixaxis is acceptable), you can get this deal for $100. Considering that you get 3 games and double the hard drive (plus a cooler running console with a new factory warrenty) it might be a good deal for some people.

MY TAKE: A COMLETE NO BRAINER!

FOR $99, you get:

1) $200 in games! Uncharted/Resistance 2CE/Socom Headset
2)160GB HARDDRIVE
3)SONY WARRANTY!

Oh boy I can see the shitstorm now...

"WHY WUD I GET DAT I CANT JUSTIFI IT LAWL WUT A BAD DEAL!"

Or even this gem:

"I CUN GET LAWL BIGGER HDD FUR LESS @ TIGGER DIRACT THIS DEAL IS BRRRR CULD!"

C'mon guys it's a pretty solid deal for those who are out of warranty and/or really really cheap (and didn't buy those games that come with the system) or hell, wanna upgrade.

Purty sweet for 40GB owners if it's applicable.

Do you have a source on this?
Also does the 60GB model work with this deal?

I got a system with a loud fan noise that is almost as loud as those launch 360s so I wouldn't mind getting rid of it for a 160GB newer model.

Yeah, the only reason to do this would be to "replace" a faulty unit...

That said, if I was more cynical, I would be saying that EB is trying to get their hands on backwards compatible PS3s that they can sell for a higher price later on.

Hey, whatever works for them, BC PS3s are being scurried for by all the (IRL) cheapasses (trust me these are not the good kind) that thought it'd go down in price even lower.

The end result will always be: CAGs and humans who get in on this deal will have the benefit of a better system and a handful of AAA games and whoever absolutely needs a BC system but didn't get it will suffer the consequence.

ppl who has the new recent 80 gigs ( not the old ones) should defff do this , great great deal.

but ppl who has the motorstorm/mgs4 80gigs should keep theirs.....

Am I the only one here that owns a BC system but... doesn't use the BC feature? Even the card reader, I used it once to transfer pictures when I figured out I could just move 'em with USB or even media server.

Does anyone know if ebgames Canada accept the 60gb for this deal?
Does anyone know how much a warranty for the ps3 cost at ebgames?

Bleh, they should allow me to trade my 60 GB PS3 straight up for the 160 GB model. I won't, of course. The 60 GB model is the most desired version of the console. It's priceless.

^ lol honestly, i baught the MGS4 bundle.... and i regret it. i use my ps2 for ps2 games, not my ps3...... hmmm.. i might have to do some calculations, but i might be able to do this deal...

ok, if someone would like to hear my plan

i have- MGS4 bundle that i paid 499.99 for.

so- if i trade this in, [ ps3+duoshock]+[99] dollars

(i have 100 dollars in EDGE or gift card...)

and get ps3+duoshock+uncharted+Resisitance2CE+Socom/headset]

.........sell uncharted,(i have it) sell socom, sell resistance.... keep the headset....

ermm..... soooo....

i had

80 gig PS3 BC + DUOshock + 99 dollars

=

and i get

160 gig ps3 no BC + DUoshock + uncharted(37+15%) + Resistance 2 (37+15%) + socom(15+15%) + headset = .. 42.55+42.55+17.25= 102.35.

... ermmm.........

wwow....

so i earn 3 bux for doing this deal?

i never use my BC anyways... hmm.... maybe i should do this.

any suggestions people?

B/C is nice to have. I have played a number of PS2 games on my 60 GB. I haven't played a PS2 game, however, in a long time. It's a nice extra and it does save me from having both a PS2 and PS3. I think a lot of people have moved on to the next generation.

The only benefit to me trading in the PS3 is that warranty. My console's warranty ran out on July 2008 so if it dies, I have to pay to fix it. My console has died before due to a faulty firmware update. I'd have to find takers for the three games, though. Finished Uncharted, finished Resistance 2 and don't care for SOCOM.

I called 2 stores in the GTA (Greater Toronto area) and neither know of this deal.

Sony doesn't consider loud fans are a defect. I sent it in under warranty and they sent it back in the same condition I sent it to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Nero25']yea most ebgames stores are clueless of their promotions[/quote]

That's why I didn't post this as a new thread, but I'll check later today. Again, the guy at my EBgames (Norh hill in Calgary) told me of this deal yesterday. I made a comment how the 499 for 160gb PS3 + 3 games was a pretty good deal but that I had a PS3 already. He said that I could trade in a 80gb PS3 plus one controller (sixaxis is okay) I could get this deal for $100. Not a bad deal to get a new console and warrenty with double the hard drive space, 3 games (2 if you don't count broken old SOCOM) and a headset.

Again, he seemed pretty surprised by this deal, so I assume that it is fairly new. I'll see if I can get some sort of confirmation about it later today when I get off work. So, I guess YMMV.

However, for those that don't have a PS3, it seems that most stores are giving some sort of pack in extra games with the 160gb PS3 model or 50 gift cards to entice buyers. I think that all the speculation of a summer $100 price drop might be pretty acurate and this is a way to get rid of inventory before then.

Could you ask if it is a regional or nationwide promotion too? And which system models it applies to?

A store I phoned in Toronto didn't know anything about it and suggested it must be a U.S. only promotion. After I told him it was based off of what someone in Alberta wrote on a Canadian shopping forum and he replied its probably a regional promotion then.

Either way the CSR didn't know what I was asking about.

Thank you

I'll try to find out if the deal is regional or not and which models apply. I'll also see if there are some instructions on how to get the deal (if there is some employee memo or something concerning the deal). I'll ask about EB warrenty aswell.

I hope the guy at my EB games wasn't mistaken about this deal and then people get mad at me. Remember, it says "CAG in Training" for a reason!

[quote name='EvilGalad']If it sounds to good to be true.....[/quote]

...then it probably is! I had a chance to talk to the same guy at EB today that told me of this deal yesterday. Sure enough, he said the same thing again: trade in 80gb PS3 + 1 controller + $100 and the deal is yours. I asked him if this is just a special offer to entice upgrades but he said that it is the normal trade value. #-o
80gb PS3 trade for $300. So according to his math, 300 + 100 = 500 :whistle2:?
I let him recalculate that for a second. The guy is a nice kid, but just don't let him do your taxes!

So, I guess this thread should be closed now. Sorry if I got people's hopes up. :cry:

On a side note, they actually base the trade value of the PS3 on the HD size. So a 40GB trades for $240, a full BC 60gb PS3 trades for $260 and a 80gb trades for 300!?!

[quote name='snuter']...then it probably is! I had a chance to talk to the same guy at EB today that told me of this deal yesterday. Sure enough, he said the same thing again: trade in 80gb PS3 + 1 controller + $100 and the deal is yours. I asked him if this is just a special offer to entice upgrades but he said that it is the normal trade value. #-o
80gb PS3 trade for $300. So according to his math, 300 + 100 = 500 :whistle2:?
I let him recalculate that for a second. The guy is a nice kid, but just don't let him do your taxes!

So, I guess this thread should be closed now. Sorry if I got people's hopes up. :cry:

On a side note, they actually base the trade value of the PS3 on the HD size. So a 40GB trades for $240, a full BC 60gb PS3 trades for $260 and a 80gb trades for 300!?![/quote]

damn that math?!

so, the 80g gig 70% BC is 300? or the 80 gig without BC is 300?

man im confuzed.

[quote name='Bencherstyle']any suggestions people?[/quote]

Wait, why sell the three games, unless you already own them? They're pretty good. But you end up with three bucks but at the same time you break even and it's just like swapping out the machine.

[quote name='lustyhitter']... in a long time. It's a nice extra and it does save me from having both a PS2 and PS3. I think a lot of people have moved on to the next generation. [/quote]

Ditto, I have my fatty 1st gen PS2 still working, planning on getting a slim just for aesthetic purposes and desk space issues, I barely play the backlog for my PS2 library (Hell, Obscure 2 and Persona 4 are still among the many games still in wrapping).

[quote name='snuter']... (2 if you don't count broken old SOCOM) and a headset. [/quote]

SOCOM isn't broken T_T (in denial). I'm just waiting for MAG by Zipper Fish... c'mooon don't fail me now, I just wanna see some gameplay footage!

[quote name='Nero25']Do you know if they accept 60gb ps3? also do you know how much a warranty cost at ebgames?[/quote]

It's pretty steep and it's a one-year (I think like $69 or something?) but their warranty actually works (I'm speaking as a competitor here too!), most shit goes haywire on the first year anyway, and they just do a quickswap with a refurb (and if they don't have one they'll direct you to the nearest store that does, which is rare), and as far as I've seen the "refurbs" from EB are pretty new looking (no dusty, grimy, poo streak machines).

At any other place with "extended" warranties, they tell you it goes over the manufacturer's warranty, but seriously, it doesn't. The "contract" stipulates that during the manufacturer's warranty FS/BB/Zellers/Wal Mart/etc will not cover it/take it in/repair/etc. And when/if they actually do, it takes fucking forever. Last time I sent a customer's machine out it took us a month to get it back.

When you actually put it into money sense; FS/BB will offer you a "two year" warranty on a 360 for $69 plus tax. But it actually only covers one year since the manufacturer covers the first year, but again; contract states that if the manufacturer covers it, the company itself won't because really; why spend money repairing it if someone else will? And if you put up a fight they'll send it out, but it's gonna take a while. You're machine-less.

As opposed to EB, they actually cover an actual year for $69 (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the pricepoint here), they'll just swap out your machine and give you another one on the spot. Sure it's a refurb, but dude; it's a new refurb (oxymoron I know), at least you're not waiting a month for yours to come back (shocking: sometimes you get a refurb from FS/BB as well!).

Personally, at FS/BB I only get extended warranties on appliances and large items like TVs and stuff. 'Cause on that shit it actually works. But game systems? Yech. And I fucking work there. =\

Game systems work at EB since that's their business, a few of my good friends have had their DS' just plain old swapped out. When I bought my girlfriend her 360 (which she barely plays ~_~) it RROD on her and I just swapped it out at EB, granted I had to go to another store to get it done but damn it was on the spot!

This is just personal account here , and an in-depth report from an employee ;).

well, this deal is a mistake by an employee.... but i wish it was... i would have done it......

break even, get a .... ps3. gee, do the new ps3s function better then the old ps3s? :/

BC, card slots bla bla bla, thats basically it i guess...

[quote name='neksus']EB's warranty actually goes on weight, does it not?
Bring back x percent of the console and get it swapped?[/quote]

Weight? Like meat? "1.99/lbs" (hey that'd be awesome!).

Poli Sci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG thats my major!!!

Have you people out east ever hear of a university called SFU?

What school do you go to? how do you have the time to work at FS and school? How long have you worked at FS?

[quote name='gamer602']Poli Sci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG thats my major!!!

What school do you go to? how do you have the time to work at FS and school? How long have you worked at FS?[/quote]

Do you hate it as much as I do?

I'm at Ryerson University, the cooler, hipper, we-have-the-best-fucking-lacrosse-team-in-the-city school ;).

I've been working at FS for a year and a half now, but I got a way better (read: salary) job elsewhere so soon I'll be moving on but that's a tale for another time.

Balancing school and work is pretty easy for me, I've been doing it since my old high school days, and profs these days put up all the notes/lectures on the internet so if I ever happen to miss a class (I don't), I can catch up with them. It's not like poli sci is hard sciences or engineering or anything like that ;) so it's pretty easy.

Simon Frasier? I thought that school was out west? [Google searches] Yeah all your campuses are in BC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Um if anyone goes to trade in their 60 Gigs PS3 in toronto Let me know so I can go buy it off that EB. I have tons of EB credit and want a 60 GB lol.

[quote name='gamer602']Poli Sci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG thats my major!!!

What school do you go to? how do you have the time to work at FS and school? How long have you worked at FS?[/quote]

Yeah SFU.. Saw it on an episode of Stargate SG-1

[quote name='rkenshin']Yeah SFU.. Saw it on an episode of Stargate SG-1[/quote]

Well at least it's a decent show, I think Ryerson's been in... Degrassi The Next Generation.

/sad.

[quote name='cswloo']SFU has also been in Battlestar :p. Pretty sure UBC was also in that too.[/quote]

SFU has also been used many times on Andromeda.

I suppose whom ever living near a EB Games that's honoring this promotion and doesn't have a PS3 already and wants a brand new one, they can probably get away with buying that refurbished $269 PS3 I saw posted in the deals forums and trading it in for this... hmmm...

The biggest issue I have with this, honestly, is that Singstar content doesn't transfer! Okay, I guess it's not that valid a concern as I've spent all of $15 on content, or thereabouts. But still, it's a pain. Do you realize how long it takes to freakin' download Singstar songs??

[quote name='andsoitgoes']The biggest issue I have with this, honestly, is that Singstar content doesn't transfer! Okay, I guess it's not that valid a concern as I've spent all of $15 on content, or thereabouts. But still, it's a pain. Do you realize how long it takes to freakin' download Singstar songs??[/quote]

Why don't you just do a whole backup on a memory stick or something? That way you just reinstall the mem stick/disc/whatever, dunno if that'd transfer the songs.

How big are the SS songs? They can't be bigger than 100megs or so right (I play SS on the PS2 so I dunno)?

Hi,

I have an extra 60GB ps3 for trade for eb credit if you want it. I don't like the spare one I have as much because the fans get noisier than my other one when playing graphically demanding games.

The noise level isn't as loud as those launch 360s but I find it annoying cause in my apartment i have to sit about 8 feet from the TV screen and I don't always like to turn on the sound when playing games depending on the time of day.

Everything works great with the system.

let me know if you're interested. If interested make an offer. thanks.

- Richard

[quote name='Lockescythe']Um if anyone goes to trade in their 60 Gigs PS3 in toronto Let me know so I can go buy it off that EB. I have tons of EB credit and want a 60 GB lol.[/quote]

bread's done
Back