EB Games trade-in experience

visorman30

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey everyone, I just traded in some games at my local EB (Toronto) and had a strange experience. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

I came in to get the new Xbox 360 and I had in tow a number of games. Most of them were sub-$8 but a couple were above (surprisingly Nintendogs). What I was looking to do was to trade the couple of games I had with me that were above $8 and use the bump up to $25 for those games and for the ones below (but at tiv at or above $5) use the $5 additional credit. Transaction goes through I left the store without looking too hard at the receipt.

When I got home I found out that they had not applied the $25 bump up but instead only applied the $5 trade in. Total difference was only $15 but hey, $15 is still $15. So I went back to talk to the girls there and they were telling me that I can't apply 2 different promotions like that (which I think is really weird since I could just go to 2 different EB's and run the same transaction). She even went as far to tell me that if they put my trade in through, I would be banned from EB!

So I said f-it, ban me. I told them to go right ahead. Of course they made me go back home and fetch the system (minor annoyance) so they could reverse the original transaction and then reprocess the whole trade in. Otherwise, the rest of the way was pretty smooth.

I guess the part that really surprised me the most was that they told me I would be banned from EB. Anyone else have a similar experience??

Its true that you cannot combine 2 deals on one receipt, but usually they separate into 2 transactions...Ive seen weird cases were 2 deals did apply on 1 transaction, but thats not the norm.

I've had two different promos (and sometimes 3) multiple times in the same transaction. Sounds like you dealt with somebody who doesn't like to expend effort at work.

At least you can still trade in games towards systems. Here in Winnipeg, you can only trade in games towards games, systems for systems, etc. Also, you can only trade in a maximum of one game per game you trade towards. So if you trade in six games, you have to buy six games. Winnipeg's really fucked up.

sounds like your EB is as douchy as mine. I got banned because i refused to buy 4 games with cracks in the disc.

Doesn't seem that bad - I don't know if what they claim is true or not, but they're giving you what you asked for in the end... right? Which EB was it, out of curiosity?

Wow, I think you got stuck with a couple of Part-Time employee's that were not trained very well. you can combine different trade deals on one receipt they just need to disable promo's and manually adjust the prices. What you should have done as soon as you noticed a problem was call and ask to speak to the manager. Don't go through a part time employee to get a situation resolved. if the manager is not there then call customer support. I think you just got unlucky and get a couple of poorly trained associates. Get the manager right away.

also you should have not needed to get your console and bring it in. your receipt has the console serial on it to do the reverse transaction, Unless they did not take the serial down when they sold the unit to you. I would guess this is why they wanted you to bring it back. Check your receipt.

Hey, the employees I dealt with were definitely not part time, I've seen them both for a number of years. Normally, the one that I dealt with the most has been very nice.

The one I went to is at Islington and Rexdale (Etobicoke). I haven't been back yet to see if they have truly banned me but I seriously doubt it.

Good for you for going back and get what you deserve!
Since the two promos are separate, it doesn't count as double dipping.... all they had to do is do the trade-ins with the $5 bump first and put it on an edge card. Then do your console transaction with the $25 bump up trades. Then use the edge card as part of the payment and you pay the balance if any.....

I've never encountered one EB here that won't do this..... I guess you just got a couple of retarded staff unfortunately....

[quote name='CaptainKishimoto']How exactly do you get banned? Do they have like a wall of shame or something lol[/QUOTE]
kinda.

Eb uses what they call a "Promo wizard" it adds the promos to the transaction on its on. It is only smart enough to do one per transaction. You can how ever turn it off with a simple push of a button and manually enter the deals.

Also all the info would have been on the receipt, you wouldn't need to bring the system all the way back in.

I've had a couple of times where I opted out of a certain promo for another. Just recently I did the T3 get it free and got the transformers game with GG, was hanging out in front of the store for a bit. Went home played for about a half hour, didn't like it, brought it back, cashed in the GG, they warned me that my account was flagged for the future because I "cheated the system". They said that they saw me eyeing Metro 2033(the game I bought w/ the GG credit) from the start. This was the manager and a new guy. Strange Methinks.

bread's done
Back