EB Games Used+New (Gutted Games) New policy in effect!

EB Games/Gameshit? fuck, everything they sell there is considered Used since they open everything (gutted) already. Main reason why I do not waste my hard earned money there.

Kotaku has stated it hasn't been confirmed by Gamestop, and that emails from apparently gS employees are confirming this.

Either way, it's illegal to list a product with it's description not factually representing the actual product. Example. They can't list a used copy as new. They will have to list it somewhere on the case.

However, considering our poor consumer protection when it comes to the actual product and retail space. The way the used and new copies being mixed together and the "used" "new" text being hidden will probably be allowed.

Yeah, they put it on the price tag - either 'new' or 'used' right below the price.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Good job giving Kotaku more hits than they deserve. They always make these things up, it's not new.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='musdy']Kotaku is a joke.[/QUOTE]

What the fuck are you two on about? did you even read the article? :roll:

Agreed, VetraX. Where do you get your gaming (news, previews, reviews, features, etc.) from, internet-wise, OmegaChaos and musdy?

I read what I consider to be a lot of gaming news; IGN/GameSpy/1UP/UGO (all under the same, now though features are different), GameSpot, Eurogamer, joystiq, Giant Bomb, etc. Many (if not all) of these websites often refer to/quote Kotaku in their articles... They are the rumor mill, but they are also the first to break news on a regular basis.

Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, what argument have you, to defend your dislike of my beloved Kotaku?

Last, this SUCKS. The staff at the GameStop nearest to me are awesome, but this may be the last straw. >.< I'll have to check into this on Friday...

Wow this is borderline illegal. "Hide" the new copies behind the used one is just ridiculous, ebgames Shitting on the consumers yet again.

When i do shop at ebgames i almost always ask for a sealed copy and i never grab a game off the shelf and bring it to the cash but some casual joe schmo is going to wonder in and grab a used copy thinking it's new.

If this is true, I don't like it one bit. While I hate stickers in general, at least the yellow ones made it very easy to tell what was new and what wasn't. It's also going to be a pain trying to find new games if they're behind used ones.

*Hopes this isn't true*

[quote name='Booyakz']Agreed, VetraX. Where do you get your gaming (news, previews, reviews, features, etc.) from, internet-wise, OmegaChaos and musdy?

I read what I consider to be a lot of gaming news; IGN/GameSpy/1UP/UGO (all under the same, now though features are different), GameSpot, Eurogamer, joystiq, Giant Bomb, etc. Many (if not all) of these websites often refer to/quote Kotaku in their articles... They are the rumor mill, but they are also the first to break news on a regular basis.

Regardless, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, what argument have you, to defend your dislike of my beloved Kotaku?

Last, this SUCKS. The staff at the GameStop nearest to me are awesome, but this may be the last straw. >.< I'll have to check into this on Friday...[/QUOTE]

I switched to reading silliconera when kotaku changed its site layout to being some pain in the ass that i didn't want to deal with.

I'm totally fine with the white stickers, I just wouldn't want them mixing the Used and New section. I don't buy much from them, but I do like to browse when there's one nearby.

I don't shop at EB, and I read Joystiq, Destructoid, and Kotaku. EB/Gamestop has some really shitty policies, and they never have good prices on new releases. Screw em.

Isn't it already like this in the US? The white stickers for used games, I mean, not the two sections being put together. As far as I can tell, these new white used stickers are a whole lot easier to peel off than the yellow ones we currently have.

I can confirm this 100% we were given instructions last week to start this. We were told that we were to merge all used games with the new games and have them sectioned off by one of four specific genres they gave us. They told us that the new copy must be on the very bottom of the pile and the used ones stacked on top and that we were to change
all price stickers to the white ones. They also instructed us to discard all materials advertising used games. Now the stickers do have the words NEW or USED on them but no one looks at that.

Oh no, how will I ever be able to tell... :roll:

I couldn't care less about this. The fact that they're sorting new/used games together will actually clean up half the mess that goes on in an average EB. There isn't much point sorting out every game section twice. Now you'll just be able to look at a section, see if any games you want are there, and just check the god damned price before you bring it up to the counter. You'd be stupid if you didn't check both new/used sections for X game you intended to buy right now, so how is this worse?

kotaku is missing some key FACTS. they have listed it as rumor and here is why.

- Yes they are mixing the new and used sections into "genres".

- There has been no word on going to white stickers (gamestop usa does this already but not ebgames in canada. As it is now there are white stickers with the word NEW on them and the yellow ones with USED printed on them. even if going to all white it will still say new/used on label. There has been NO internal communication on this change. This is some employee/manager making up their own rules

-the facing of games can be in 3 different ways
1 -New game in front and used games behind them
2- Used games BESIDE the new game
3- Under rare circumstances Used game in front of New (that used NHL 08 at 4.99 in front of that new one still priced at 27.89 that seems to have been forgotten about)

This seems the most oversight. It seems either the employee or his/her manager or even district manager is out to lunch and making up the hide new in behind the used as the official method to display games. its not. its the rare time this setup would be used not the everyday setup. Wait till stores have this set up correctly and then go see for yourself. this is so overblown and so wrong information

These gaming blog sites needs to get their crap straight and not take words from any random person as "gaming news." There is no possible way they were "forwarded" an email from an ebgames employee. its not possible. the system does not have a forward email function only a reply to email function so their claim of a forwarded email is false.

[quote name='VetraX']Yeah, they put it on the price tag - either 'new' or 'used' right below the price.

What the fuck are you two on about? did you even read the article? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Clearly we did. The fact that people still go on Kotaku for their gaming news is just stupid. These guys always have the tendency to make things worse than it actually is. Not to mention the fact that they took the word of a "GS employee", yet claim afterwards that they don't know if this info is real or not.

So, I think the question you should be asking yourself is, have you read the article?

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I don't shop at EB, and I read Joystiq, Destructoid, and Kotaku. EB/Gamestop has some really shitty policies, and they never have good prices on new releases. Screw em.[/QUOTE]

I don't know which EB you shop at, but the ones I go to have the same prices on new games as everywhere else.

I was in the store yesterday talking to a employee about the new system. He started re-arranging the store yesterday.
All games will be priced with white stickers
Right under the price it says NEW or USED
used and new games beside each other on the shelves

It just means customers don't have to walk to the used section to find the game used for cheaper. I don't care I haven't bought a used game in a really long time.

I've noticed some new releases are $64.99 so you preorder them at that price and when you pick up the game, they say the price dropped to $59.99 and they try to give you the $5 back in store credit. BS!

[quote name='Princess Zelda']I was in the store yesterday talking to a employee about the new system. He started re-arranging the store yesterday.
All games will be priced with white stickers
Right under the price it says NEW or USED
used and new games beside each other on the shelves

It just means customers don't have to walk to the used section to find the game used for cheaper. I don't care I haven't bought a used game in a really long time.[/QUOTE]

Likewise, no used games for me. I still don't like the idea of mixing though. >.<

So, the Kotaku article was accurate, minus the "hiding new behind used".

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Clearly we did. The fact that people still go on Kotaku for their gaming news is just stupid. These guys always have the tendency to make things worse than it actually is. Not to mention the fact that they took the word of a "GS employee", yet claim afterwards that they don't know if this info is real or not.

So, I think the question you should be asking yourself is, have you read the article?
[/QUOTE]

'according to internal documentation forwarded to Kotaku'

Maybe you missed that part, and the part where we are of free will and able to form our own opinions.

Tendency to insinuate? what are you on about?
smilie_eyebrow.gif

Kotaku have some fantastic contributers and columnists, and while I might not agree with some of the writers on there (ie. Totilo) I can at the very least see where they're coming from, and simply disagree without harboring any grudge towards the site. If it's the content of the article you hate then so be it, but taking it out on the entire site for what is simply journalism. Grow the fvck up.

Ah, that is what was happening last night. the manager had the ps3 section pulled apart with stacks of new and used games together, couldn't figure out what he was doing. He was whining they didn't get allocated enough staff hours.

I don't see any problem with it.

[quote name='VetraX']'according to internal documentation forwarded to Kotaku'

Maybe you missed that part, and the part where we are of free will and able to form our own opinions.

Tendency to insinuate? what are you on about?
smilie_eyebrow.gif

Kotaku have some fantastic contributers and columnists, and while I might not agree with some of the writers on there (ie. Totilo) I can at the very least see where they're coming from, and simply disagree without harboring any grudge towards the site. If it's the content of the article you hate then so be it, but taking it out on the entire site for what is simply journalism. Grow the fvck up.[/QUOTE]

What the heck are you on about? Kotaku is known for taking things out of proportion, and without taking reliable sources. There are better/more credible gaming news sites out there.

lol at people buying games at EBgames/GS
I mean, they are crooks, and everybody know that
I havent bought a game there for a year and don't plan going there anytime soon

as soon as a game is unwrapped, it should be labeled as USED... I don't even think they have right to sell it full price if it's open

[quote name='OmegaChaos']What the heck are you on about? Kotaku is known for taking things out of proportion, and without taking reliable sources. There are better/more credible gaming news sites out there.[/QUOTE]

images_smilies_facepalm.gif

Hey guess what guys? Vote with your dollars.

Just take your business elsewhere, easy. Unless EB is doing some sort of deal (like the Black Friday console thing) then you stay away.

[quote name='foxmcloud']lol at people buying games at EBgames/GS
I mean, they are crooks, and everybody know that
I havent bought a game there for a year and don't plan going there anytime soon

as soon as a game is unwrapped, it should be labeled as USED... I don't even think they have right to sell it full price if it's open[/QUOTE]

But it's not used if it's just unwrapped. I usually just ask for a discount if it's the gutted copy.

As for the change, it's not really a big deal. Everyone can clearly read the USED or NEW label or they can always *gasp* ASK.

What's with the Kotaku hate? :S

It's so pigheaded of you to write off the entire site, because you disagree with some of the content they publish. Why not write off the internet because there are some sites that spread rumors?

[quote name='zorba_the_greek']But it's not used if it's just unwrapped.[/QUOTE]

It is, to me at least. Would you buy underwear out of an opened box?

[quote name='zorba_the_greek']But it's not used if it's just unwrapped. I usually just ask for a discount if it's the gutted copy.

As for the change, it's not really a big deal. Everyone can clearly read the USED or NEW label or they can always *gasp* ASK.[/QUOTE]

believe me, everyone cannot read labels
it's a clever way to make some money over moms and dads that don't know what they are buying

there is a reason why they put used games to eye level... that's usually where you look first... grocery stores do the same trick for stuff that are closer to expiry date

even if the disc has never been "used", it's not new anymore
plus, everyone coming to the store touch the case which damages it quite a lot

would you buy a new car at the dealership that has been in the showroom for months... so many people sat in in, the life time of seats, fabrics and moving parts is reduced
I would ask for some kind of rebate or I would buy the same car elsewhere

Haven't seen this at any of the EB Games I frequent.

Anyways, with their T2 deals, they are the best place for preorders by far. I can't remember the last time I've paid over $30 for a new release.

Depends on who the owner *was*. :)

[quote name='dotCody']It is, to me at least. Would you buy underwear out of an opened box?[/QUOTE]

What I don't like about the used section is seeing a dozen copies of some movie: The Video Game packed together. It is necessary because people treat their games differently and I would pick the least damaged case for the used game. Mixing the new and used games would just make looking for games even more difficult. Genres? They have a hard enough time keeping their existing shelves in alphabetical order.

[quote name='zorba_the_greek']But it's not used if it's just unwrapped. I usually just ask for a discount if it's the gutted copy.[/QUOTE] Did you ever get that discount from GS? Back when my friend worked at EB, they would borrow gutted games for the night. *shrug*

[quote name='foxmcloud']would you buy a new car at the dealership that has been in the showroom for months... so many people sat in in, the life time of seats, fabrics and moving parts is reduced
I would ask for some kind of rebate or I would buy the same car elsewhere[/QUOTE] Most dealers give you a discount for demo cars. Just like most retailers will give you a discount on demo units of furniture or household electronics.

Confirmed, or so I'd think. Local EB I went to had all of their 360 games in piles on the ground. I see no other reason for that to happen. >.<

Speaking on the matter of parents accidentally buying Used rather than new, in my experience, parents just buy the cheapest copy available. Countless times I've seen them bring a new game to the counter, only to be told of the $3-$5 savings of buying used and favor that cheaper price...

The reality is, this will have very little effect on most consumers, especially the CAG community who I'm certain have the ability to read the "New" or "Used" sticker on cases...

Poor business decisions usually cost the company pretty heavily. This could be one of them; I don't think consumers will accept having to "dig" for new products.

I have boycotted EB for a while now and will continue to do so. I only shop there when they're the only nearby retailer carrying the product I want; otherwise I make an effort to support companies that act with a little bit more class.

Meh, I stopped going to them after last year's Christmas sale where they gave me a clearly used copy of Neir that was supposed to be new. It is now clearly their policy to further try to trick people into buying used (often for a $2 difference on the price of brand new, yet Gamestop/EB gets 100% of the profits this way), so that's it for me; I'm not even going in to browse anymore.

Luckily I have a local franchise in my area that actually gives fair TIVs and gets new games in the same time as EB, so the hell with them.

I've been to 6 different EBs in the past month, and have not even seen this go into effect. People overreact to rumors as usual.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']I've been to 6 different EBs in the past month, and have not even seen this go into effect. People overreact to rumors as usual.[/QUOTE]

Really? Because I was at 3 different EB stores today, and all 3 have this in effect.

[quote name='neospike']Really? Because I was at 3 different EB stores today, and all 3 have this in effect.[/QUOTE]

Then your Gamestops suck. Because the ones I went to all had yellow stickers for used, and white for new.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Then your Gamestops suck. Because the ones I went to all had yellow stickers for used, and white for new.[/QUOTE]
It's possible that your Gamestops haven't switched over to this new method.

Edit: Not sure where you live but this is a Canadian thing at the moment.

[quote name='Shinn23']It's possible that your Gamestops haven't switched over to this new method.

Edit: Not sure where you live but this is a Canadian thing at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I live in Quebec >_>.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']Then your Gamestops suck. Because the ones I went to all had yellow stickers for used, and white for new.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry, they'll get around to changing to the white stickers.

[quote name='CH82']Never buy a gutted game no matter how much you want it.[/QUOTE]

disagree. there will be times when a gutted is cheaper than used

[quote name='neospike']Don't worry, they'll get around to changing to the white stickers.[/QUOTE]

You can't stand it when most Gamestops/EBs don't do this can you? People always need some reason to hate on Gamestop.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']You can't stand it when most Gamestops/EBs don't do this can you? People always need some reason to hate on Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

Not to fan the flame war, but they give people a lot of reasons to hate on them.

[quote name='Wikkidkarma']Not to fan the flame war, but they give people a lot of reasons to hate on them.[/QUOTE]

So does Futureshop & Best Buy, yet you don't see people on the internet whining about them. All the hate is towards Gamestop, which is getting real old.

[quote name='OmegaChaos']You can't stand it when most Gamestops/EBs don't do this can you? People always need some reason to hate on Gamestop.[/QUOTE]

I only shop at EB, so how about you stop trying to manipulate what I posted to suit your agenda.

bread's done
Back