Eb Gaming Guarantee (Now with release dates!)

JnJosh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Eb is doing a new approach the to Gaming Guarantee, since it is so successful.

Apparently the titles below will all be GG's, have fun!

Preorder these games!!

Dirt 2 - September 8
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - September 15
Need for speed shift - September 15
Halo ODST - September 22
Star Wars Republic heroes (the clone wars) - October 6
Uncharted 2 - October 13

:applause::applause:
WAHOO!

I've seen it at 2 stores so far, I'm fairly positive about this but some more conformation would be amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kathos']

What preorders help more is with this:

It keeps the company from overspending and over-ordering games, so if we know approximately how many games we're looking at selling it gets easier to actually order X amount so we don't fall short or have WAY too much overstock.
[/QUOTE]

Ok, that makes a bit more sense to me than the interest/financing thing.

[quote name='kathos']

The math usually goes like this for most games:

P/2+P=X

P being the number of preorders and X the number of games we order. So if we got 10 Halo preorders we'll get 5 extras to sell to the public, that way we have a good idea of what the certain store will be able to sell before a price drop (thus losing money).

EX: 2 Wolfenstein preorders, so we got 3. One extra.

[/QUOTE]

That formula seems a bit surprising to me and on the low side.. unless eb really does that much business with pre-orders and not walk-in traffic. I guess that would work at the individual store level, but at the corporate level you must be buying far more than that.

Or would that just be for day 1 sales.. because I'm sure I see tonnes of copies of many new releases after a week or so, far more than I imagine would have been pre-ordered.

[quote name='TripleQ']Or would that just be for day 1 sales.. because I'm sure I see tonnes of copies of many new releases after a week or so, far more than I imagine would have been pre-ordered.[/QUOTE]

That formula's the case for our day-1 stock, there's always the exceptions to the rule like with Street Fighter, BlazBlue or Batman, but I'm thinking those are more outside influences than anything (publisher shipped too little, border problems and some crazy assfuck Wal-Mart/BB sale respectively).

They probably buy more copies and keep them in the regional head office warehouse and divvy them up to each store according to day-1 sales, market trends, regional trends etc. Because they send out one day and the store gets it the next, rather than rely on each individual store to send them out to each other all the time (clusterfuck of packages and shit).

I might as well ask here since it's EB-related.

I bought a new game from EB last week (Metroid Trilogy) and I opened it up today to find out that the steelbook is bent, there's a crack on the inside, and the manual has a rip in it. If I take it back to EB within one week with my receipt, can I get it exchanged? I haven't tried to play it but the disc looks to be in good shape, however I'm not happy with the condition of the other contents. I guess the worst-case scenario is that I end up trading it in.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I might as well ask here since it's EB-related.

I bought a new game from EB last week (Metroid Trilogy) and I opened it up today to find out that the steelbook is bent, there's a crack on the inside, and the manual has a rip in it. If I take it back to EB within one week with my receipt, can I get it exchanged? I haven't tried to play it but the disc looks to be in good shape, however I'm not happy with the condition of the other contents. I guess the worst-case scenario is that I end up trading it in.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, counts as a defective exchange, because it was defective, technically.

Just make sure to go to an EB where they would recognize you or at least are cool with that sort of thing. I can see one overzealous EB part timer (or manager) losing his head and just saying NO to something that's completely legit, after all, it's not YOUR fault the book was bent and all that, it's just a shipping issue.

Just make sure you take it in with the original receipt to a store that has others nerds (like all of us) or are understanding.

The real worst case scenario is your local EB losing you as a customer because he/she thinks they'll get promoted for "saving the company money" or some BS like that.

It's retail after all, there's plenty of those.

If the product was damaged through shipping, EB shouldn't have an issue exchanging it, because they will also put in a credit claim and get THEIR money back too.

I'm being told by some guys that EB is really strict when it comes to returning Gaming Guarantees and that they will and can deny taking a game back from you. Is this true, cause now I'm getting worried that I wont be able to return my M:UA2 for full store credit :hot:

Strict on what? The only thing I can imagine is the time.. i.e. must pick up within 7 days, and must return within 7 days of pickup.. plus case+manual of course. If the program has been such a success that they're expanding it, I don't see why they would arbitrarily deny you.

I've been told by a local EB that a Gaming Guarantee game acquired by using the Trade 3 cannot be traded in for $69.99 credit; it can only be traded in for another Trade-3 pre-order (Bogus, I know).

[quote name='Pavel6969']I used a trade 3 for Wolfenstein and got the credit back on my Edge card no problem.[/QUOTE]

same here

Like I said, that particular "policy" seems to only be at one of my local EB's. I imagine he's just trying to push pre-orders instead of giving back the $69.99, which is what the Gaming Guarantee is all about.

Yeah, I asked yesterday and they were saying that I'd get the $69.99 back..Pre-ordered Dirt 2..Gonna play it for a bit then return it so I can preorder Borderlands. Which is odd, cause I went to a different EB yesterday to try and pre-order another Dirt 2 but instead asked if I could pre-order Alpha Protocol with a T3 and they said: "Well, its far enough away, we could do that.". Swanky. No dicking around with GG's. :D

[quote name='Gamin_Guru']I'm being told by some guys that EB is really strict when it comes to returning Gaming Guarantees and that they will and can deny taking a game back from you. Is this true, cause now I'm getting worried that I wont be able to return my M:UA2 for full store credit :hot:[/QUOTE]

You'll get full credit back, this isn't like something posted on RFD where it's YMMV, this is a full on promotion where you get $69.99 on credit back on an EDGE card within a week of pickup with receipt.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I've been told by a local EB that a Gaming Guarantee game acquired by using the Trade 3 cannot be traded in for $69.99 credit; it can only be traded in for another Trade-3 pre-order (Bogus, I know).[/QUOTE]

Your EB is a bunch of cocks.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Like I said, that particular "policy" seems to only be at one of my local EB's. I imagine he's just trying to push pre-orders instead of giving back the $69.99, which is what the Gaming Guarantee is all about.[/QUOTE]

Report them to the local district manager. Or get the head office number and report the store and file a complaint. They're trying to push more preorders, you can't blame them it's their job, but they're not doing it the legit way, if they confused YOU a CAG, then what makes you think they're not screwing with all the other people who don't know shit all about the promo?

I know most people here just wait for the waaaaahmbulance to come in but nothing will change unless you actually say something.

Either way, after you return the 2nd GG game, the receipt will just show a GG and they won't have any way to prove you did T3.

It's really only that particular EB manager that's the problem; one of the employees was super helpful during the Batman: Arkham Asylum sale. I have a few pre-orders at this particular location, and I doubt I'll even take advantage of the GG, but it's frustrating when someone in power bends the rules to their liking.

Hey kathos, if I pre-order a GG game at an EB, should I go to my most hated EB or my most coveted EB for the trade-in?

At least the PS3 version is still priced at $69.99. :lol:

Check FS
(not allowed to post links)

[quote name='TripleQ']I'm starting to see Dirt 2 listing at 59.99 so if you're doing it for GG credit, you might want to choose something else just in case eb drops it?[/QUOTE]

Yet another probably silly gaming guarantee question.

Do I have to return the game to the same location? My preferred EB doesn't do trade-ins, but the closest one that does....well.....isn't exactly all that close, so it'd be far more convenient for me to run down to that one, do T3 for MUA2, and then flip it for Uncharted 2 at the one closer to me, if possible.

As long as they can verify that you pre-ordered it (i.e. receipt) you should be able to return it at a different store. However it is treated like a trade in, so if the store doesn't take trades I'm not sure if they will be able to take it?

Star Wars The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes is $49.99 for the PS3. The pre-order bonus is a little SW CW comic book. I didn't check the other prices for other consoles. The EB dude (Barrhaven) made it a Trade Two, Get It Free. Best to check with your local store.

My apologies for being somewhat off topic. I have an EDGE card that is expired according to the yellow sticker on the back. Do I have to pay to renew it if I want to receive credit for my gaming guarantee. Thanks in advance.

If you have credit on that edge card it is still good. If there is no credit on the card then I'd just throw it away. They will give you a card when they give you the credit.

Okay so apparently you buy the game at full price + tax but only get the full price back in credit. I also hear that this credit is tax free which is all fine for any game purchases, but what about PSN cards?
I hate eb I'd never really go there except for PSN cards or too take advantage of this offer, but since PSN cards are already tax free wouldn't I essentially be losing the tax I spent on a game through the gaming guarentee making it no better than a rental?

PSN cards are tax free no matter what you pay with them instore. In the PSN store however, that's where they charge tax; so be sure to change your country of origin to Alberta to get the lowest possible tax.

How much is the albertan tax anyway? I thought it was zero, but even though I changed the origin of my account, I still get charged more than 5%.

There is no sales tax in Alberta. You should be paying only GST.

Well, technically you should also be paying your provincial sales tax, but you know what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back