EB merger news, lookin' more like EB than Gamestop..

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
I had this bit of news a while back (and told Cheapy about it), but couldn't bring it public because it wasn't supposed to be known yet.. but Gamespot posted it, so..

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6141531.html

Former EB president Steven R. Morgan now presiding over GameStop's operations.

GameStop Corp. today announced that Steven R. Morgan, formerly Electronics Boutiques' president of stores in North America and Canada, has been named the company's new president. EB was recently subsumed by GameStop, making GameStop Corp. the largest specialty game retailer in the country. Daniel A. DeMatteo, GameStop's vice chairman and chief operating officer, stated, "Steve is an experienced leader with a passion for execution that will be needed to deliver on our full potential, achieve the synergies of our combination with Electronics Boutique, and enhance GameStop's ability to provide a superior shopping experience for our customers."

So yeah, the EB president is now the Gamestop president. This is a very good move and gives me hope. The CEO of Gamestop is now the CEO of 7/11.. or so I heard.

Good, I like eb better than gamestop. The only thing gamestop has over eb is their online inventory. Eb's better for buying used games. They have the manuals and cases with them, most of the time.

Well if he is the reason why EB operates so well then this is a very good move. I hope that even though Gamestop bought EB that they will either A. Convert the Gamestops into EBs, B. Leave everything as it is or C. Close down the Gamestops if there are EBs around and transfer the inventory to EB.

Eh... who cares.

The only reason I shop there is when I'm forced to, i.e only Gamestop / EB get a certain game in stock and most other retailers won't touch it (any RPG that's not Square, for instance).

I mean, no point to preordering unless you're getting one hell of a bonus (but then they find ways of not getting it to you), and they keep their shit at $50 MSRP forever it seems.

It's great when I can go to Best Buy and get $200 worth of games for roughly $80... I'm just surprised EB / Gamestop is doing as well as it is seeing as how they aren't that competitive and the rest of the market kicks their ass in prices.

[quote name='Roufuss']It's great when I can go to Best Buy and get $200 worth of games for roughly $80... I'm just surprised EB / Gamestop is doing as well as it is seeing as how they aren't that competitive and the rest of the market kicks their ass in prices.[/QUOTE]

That's because most of the general public has no idea how easily you can find games for lower than the MSRP. I've been working at Gamestop for a couple months now and I'm amazed at how people will drop $40 or $50 on a new game like it's nothing when it'll be on sale at Best Buy (who's right across the parking lot) or somewhere else.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']That's because most of the general public has no idea how easily you can find games for lower than the MSRP. I've been working at Gamestop for a couple months now and I'm amazed at how people will drop $40 or $50 on a new game like it's nothing when it'll be on sale at Best Buy (who's right across the parking lot) or somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

I see the same thing at K-Mart every day, and the Best Buy is right down the street.

I remember when Best Buy had WWE Smackdown 2006 for $39.99, we had it for $50, and people were complaining to me about how we were sold out. I would ALWAYS mention "you know, you can go right down the street and get it for $10 cheaper" and they would wonder how I knew this magical information.

The worst is when they buy a game for $50 that's on sale at BB for $30, and complain to me about how games "are too expensive".

I just think people don't read newspapers anymore.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Which games move faster at EB/Gamestop, New or Used?[/QUOTE]

It's tough to say since I haven't been working there for too long. But during this time of new new games sell like crazy.

[quote name='dtarasev']Well if he is the reason why EB operates so well then this is a very good move. I hope that even though Gamestop bought EB that they will either A. Convert the Gamestops into EBs, B. Leave everything as it is or C. Close down the Gamestops if there are EBs around and transfer the inventory to EB.[/QUOTE]

EB operated so good that they got bought out by a inferior company that had a bigger cash flow. GS are HORRIBLE here in North Florida. AWFUL. Like DLF manboobs bad.

[quote name='b3b0p']Does this mean I have to pay tax when I purchase from Gamestop.com?[/QUOTE]
Just checked my standing orders and apparently now you do (in all states where applicable)...

Does the president really make any decisions that would affect the parts of the business we care about? I seriously doubt it.

I still always liked gamestop. They are much more willing to give me penny guides (although they have actually gotten worse than eb lately in terms of how quickly they pull them), and they have a lot more ps1 games. Their ps1 games also come in cases more often, most of eb ps1 games don't. Considering the overwhelming majority of stuff I buy is ps1 games and penny guides (most current gen stuff comes from CC, TRU sales etc.) I had hoped gamestop won out.

Besides, the gamestops around here have nicer employees than the eb's.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I still always liked gamestop. They are much more willing to give me penny guides (although they have actually gotten worse than ebay lately in terms of how quickly they pull them), and they have a lot more ps1 games. Their ps1 games also come in cases more often, most of eb ps1 games don't. Considering the overwhelming majority of stuff I buy is ps1 games and penny guides (most current gen stuff comes from CC, TRU sales etc.) I had hoped gamestop won out.

Besides, the gamestops around here have nicer employees than the eb's.[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the store. The other day, I got in a fight with an EB employee who was being a complete jerk. I hate the Gamestop employees at the store near where I live though. At my store, we have the most PS1 games in the region and the nearest GS has about 1/4 of our stock.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Hopefully I'll be able to use my Gamestop card at EBGames soon, since EDGE cards are for bitches.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Maynard']too bad they're probably keeping the edge card since gamestop cards are for pusses[/QUOTE]

Cardfighter's Clash!

But seriously, I tend to like Gamestop more since I have better luck finding rarer games in the two near me. I usually gravitate towards EB when I wanna reserve a game or something.

We'll see how things turn out.

Looking more like Gamestop then EB... was told at three different EB's that tonight EB is switching over to Gamestop's computers, which I guess means their POS.

They've already started closing down stores where there are two in very close proximity, at least around here... one is in the middle of closing now, two or three others in my area are rumored to shut down very soon. The store thats closing is a Gamestop, across the street is an EB, apparently that will take the GS name.

No clearance sales though, all the inventory is just getting sent back.

Now Gamestop's instock locator even shows up EBgames stores when searching for game stock, while EB dosen't get an instock locator at all.

Does this mean we will eventually get stuck with the Gamestop website too? That would seriously suck!

No coupon stacks on used stuff. No edge card online, no CAG15/16. Thinking of it makes me want to cry.

[quote name='Roufuss']Looking more like Gamestop then EB... was told at three different EB's that tonight EB is switching over to Gamestop's computers, which I guess means their POS.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, that's interesting. The EB Games here has been saying for months that they are going to adopt their computer system for the new company. Things may have changed though, but from what I hear, the EB Games system is better.

We have one of each store in town here, but neither of them are closing. If they are across the street from the other, that doesn't surprise me. Closing some stores in towns where there are stores every block just makes sense....people will drive for the stores.

I've also heard that the Edge card will be gone in favor of the Gamestop card. Apparently, the Edge card will be honored until it expires, but you will have to buy a new one. I've heard that the Edge card will still be available for just a couple of months...if that long.

I guess that we'll see how it works out....its just interesting that I'm hearing different things than some of the rest of you.

TBW

The sale system is something completely new that's been in development with GS. They're not going to use the currently running GS or EB POS.

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']
We have one of each store in town here, but neither of them are closing. If they are across the street from the other, that doesn't surprise me. Closing some stores in towns where there are stores every block just makes sense....people will drive for the stores.
TBW[/QUOTE]

I can name no less then 12 stores all within an hour of each other... more often then not, there is a store in the mall, and then right outside the mall across the street there is ANOTHER store.

The Gamestop that is closing here, there is an EB directly across the street. There is about...hm... three places like this?

One mall has a Gamestop on the second floor, right above the EB Games which is on the first floor.

Check this one out: A huge indoor mall has a strip mall right outside of it... there is an EB and a Gamestop in the mall, and right outside the mall in the strip mall is ANOTHER EB.

Luckily, from talking to the employees at the closing Gamestop, all of them were offered transfers to different stores, which was really cool.

At one of the malls here, down on the first floor is a Gamestop, then, you look up and there is an EB Games on the next.

I'll miss having so many stores around... made it awesome when you had to look for a penny guide, a rare game, a good deal, I could really beat the odds the majority of the time.

Hell, just today I bought Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2 mint and complete (for ps2) at a Gamestop today.

There was a long time where I never had to ebay any rare current or last generation rare game. I guess those times are going to change since it seems 1/2 the stores are going to leave in my area.

bread's done
Back