EB online gift codes still not usable online

wubb

CAGiversary!
Feedback
52 (100%)
So I tried to place an order yesterday and there still is no where to enter an online EBGames gift code (from back before the merge.) I have heard you can call up and have them do it for you over the phone, so I gave them a call.

The lady confirmed you still can't use the codes online, 'due to the merge of EB and GS.' When I commented, 'But that was months ago now, right?' she said, 'Yes, it should be online around November.' Sheesh!

She also informed me that there was no way she could apply my code to an order over the phone. (Has anyone actually been able to do this, if so I might call back and see if a different operator will do it.) Her solution was to take my e-mail print out to an EB store and they'd be able to call up to her from the store and have the balance transferred to a card I could use at the B&M. That is what I call excellent customer service. ;)

Is there any chance my local EB would actually have any clue what I'm talking about if I asked them to do this? I'll probably give it a try next time I'm going to be by an EB, but I have a bad feeling it will just be a waste of time and will end with the EB clerk staring at me like I'm a complete moron.

[quote name='wubb']So I tried to place an order yesterday and there still is no where to enter an online EBGames gift code (from back before the merge.) I have heard you can call up and have them do it for you over the phone, so I gave them a call.

The lady confirmed you still can't use the codes online, 'due to the merge of EB and GS.' When I commented, 'But that was months ago now, right?' she said, 'Yes, it should be online around November.' Sheesh!

She also informed me that there was no way she could apply my code to an order over the phone. (Has anyone actually been able to do this, if so I might call back and see if a different operator will do it.) Her solution was to take my e-mail print out to an EB store and they'd be able to call up to her from the store and have the balance transferred to a card I could use at the B&M. That is what I call excellent customer service. ;)

Is there any chance my local EB would actually have any clue what I'm talking about if I asked them to do this? I'll probably give it a try next time I'm going to be by an EB, but I have a bad feeling it will just be a waste of time and will end with the EB clerk staring at me like I'm a complete moron.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done it since the merger, but beforehand, you could definitely have them use a code over the phone. I mean, they're customer service. All they have to do is manually add a deduction of whatever amount you have.

Thanks for the info -- I have some old EB trade-in credit from a few years back that I've been saving for games that never drop in price before going OOP (Atlus, I'm looking at you). I've tried e-mailing EB's customer service twice about this since the web site changed and haven't heard back.

I figured a phone call would be useless because they wouldn't know what I was talking about, but it sounds like it's worth a try.

I still have a $50 one of these from back around Christmas that I've been meaning to use. Definitely let us know if you can find a way for them to take their own store credit.

I cant believe how long its taking them to get their shit together.

Yesterday when I was at the Gamestop b&m, I was AMAZED when they let me use my Edge card to get 10% off. My Gamestop card had expired, and until last night, they would not let me use the Edge card at a GS.

Holy fucking bleepity bleep! Went to my local EB Games and the dude was able to call the CS # and have the remaining amount on my online gift card transferred to a physical gift card.

Went in with my GC e-mail and explained what I posted in the OP to the clerk. He looked confused, but to his credit said he'd call and give it a try. I asked if he had ever done or heard of doing this and he said he hadn't. But after being on hold for 10 minutes or so he managed to transfer it over. At first he said they'd take my address and they'd have to mail me the card from corporate after the transfer, but it ended up getting insta-transfered while I was in the store.

I think we were both mildly shocked that the whole thing worked. Even used it immediately to pick up Feel the Magic (DS) POed.

I would guess doing this transfer is YMMV as far as how competent/accommodating of a clerk you get.

bread's done
Back