EB PSP Warranty Coverage

b3b0p

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I went to EB Games to try and replace my PSP with dead/stuck pixels. They said see pg 13 of the PSP manual. Gee, thanks.

When I bought the PSP the sales drones convinced me to get the $25 warranty/insurance plan. THey said if my PSP gets damaged in anyway they would replace it with a brand new one, no questions asked. So, being that my PSP has dead pixels, I tried to return it since I deemed this as being defective. Sadly, I got no where with them. Oh well, I hear Sony is replacing PSP systems with dead pixels if you call them up and explain.

So, now I am thinking that this $25 warranty/insurance from EB is a total waste. Does it really protect against accidental damage? Anyone have experience or have used this warranty to get a replacement? I read through it and it appears to not cover anything special that the Sony won't cover.

What is the general recommendation regarding this EB Warranty/Inurance plan they offer? It says I have 30 days to get a total refund on the cost of the warranty ($25).

Chris

eb games is suppose to allow u to get a new psp b/c u have the warranty. u forgot to mention that u must bring in the receipt of the warranty for verification. eb should allow u to get a new psp and buy a new warranty for the new psp as well. my 3 month old xbox died on me in feburary (the holiday bundle xbox) and i had a warranty on it and i went to exchange it for a new one. i gave them the receipt and they call up corporate or something to verify the warranty. then, they gave a new xbox and asked for another warranty to cover my current xbox. most likely, u should find another eb employee to help u out or head off to another eb store if u have one

If you bought the warranty, they have to give you another system. My understanding is that the EB warranty covers whatever may happen to it as long as you can physically produce the system so they can send it off to wherever, and you keep your paperwork.

If they won't take it back because of dead pixels, then throw it at the wall or hit it with a car or something. You'll get another one.

When I worked at EB during the launch, they were told that since Sony is not taking back dead pixels except if they are messing up gameplay or dont go away after a few weeks. But, i believe the psp manual does say if the dead pixels dont go away they should take it back. So yeah, all said and done, they should take it back, if there are any other eb's near you try there, cause we did take back multiple pixel problems since sony said in a press release they would if the pixels didnt clear up. I believe the exact phrasing of the psp warranty is, it does not cover an act of God.

Great info! Thanks!

Guess I will try another EB. The one here is the most stingy store I have ever been in.

So, with this warranty, I can take it back to another EB and they will honor it?

BTW, I did bring in my receipt, stapled to the warranty pamphlet. They had 2 clerks there. I think one was the owner and they both were trying to discourage me. One of them even took my PSP manual out of the box and read, slowly word for word, Sony's pixel policy. I thought they were both ass holes. Then the other clerk takes my PSP, turns it on, and starts hunting down dead pixels. I point out 1 very obvious bright white one and he was like, "Dood! I don't see anything." WHich was absolute BS since it was the first thing I saw when I turned it on 2 weeks ago. I think they were just saying, "Live with it you incompetent fool!"

Since I bought it, I have noticed another blue stuck one and 2 more white ones, less noticeable though, in the middle/bottom/center area.

So, as long as I have this warranty I am good to take it back? Is there a 2 week time period? The receipt says something about 14-day return policy (14th day is tomorrow). If so, then I have to go tomorrow and the closest EB is probably 45-60 minutes away beside the local one.

[quote name='b3b0p']Great info! Thanks!

Guess I will try another EB. The one here is the most stingy store I have ever been in.

So, with this warranty, I can take it back to another EB and they will honor it?

BTW, I did bring in my receipt, stapled to the warranty pamphlet. They had 2 clerks there. I think one was the owner and they both were trying to discourage me. One of them even took my PSP manual out of the box and read, slowly word for word, Sony's pixel policy. I thought they were both ass holes. Then the other clerk takes my PSP, turns it on, and starts hunting down dead pixels. I point out 1 very obvious bright white one and he was like, "Dood! I don't see anything." WHich was absolute BS since it was the first thing I saw when I turned it on 2 weeks ago. I think they were just saying, "Live with it you incompetent fool!"

Since I bought it, I have noticed another blue stuck one and 2 more white ones, less noticeable though, in the middle/bottom/center area.

So, as long as I have this warranty I am good to take it back? Is there a 2 week time period? The receipt says something about 14-day return policy (14th day is tomorrow). If so, then I have to go tomorrow and the closest EB is probably 45-60 minutes away beside the local one.[/QUOTE]

iirc, u bought a 25 dollar warranty on the psp? if so, u have 2 years i believe to return ur current psp for a new psp. next, eb games return policy is different than the warranty. warranties last for 1 or 2 years from purchase date. also, u can take to another eb to get a new psp as well.

I've got the one year extended EB warranty until April, and I have atleast 13 dead/stuck pixels on my screen (Not sure if they are dead or stuck. They show up as white dots when the screen is black, but don't affect games or movies). I would probably return it in a heartbeat, but I know there is probably zero chance of me getting another 1.5 at this point, so I'm probably going to suck it up and save my warranty in case something major happens.....or until a 2.0 hack :D . It's nice to know though, that they should accept them with the pixel issue.

The stuff I want to run on 1.5 is not really up to standards yet (emu), so I don't mind if I get 1.52 or 2.00.

I guess I am going to try another EB.

With gas so expensive I wish I did not have to drive so far. Oh well, I want to get this taken care of before school starts Monday.

Just got back from another EB Games. This store seemed to be a little more informed. Also instead of ass hole clerks I was greeted by a nice lady who was curteous, respectful, easy to talk to, and understanding. She promptly replaced my PSP with brand spankin new one (pretty sure it is a 1.50 as well since it has the 'A').

Here is what she told me:

EB Games (with the warranty? or was it the 2 week thing on the receipt?) will replace the system no problem with 2 or less dead/stuck pixels (Guess that means if you have 1 or 2 dead/stuck pixels EB will replace it on spot).

Any more then 2 pixels and they advise you to send it to Sony since they will fix it.

Anyone care to confirm this?

Just the messenger.

yeah, it really depends on the employee. eb got an e-mail when the psp came out telling everyone that the warranty doesn't cover dead pixels, as they're not technically defects. i usually tell my customers that when they buy the warranty, but you've gotta be a real douche to turn someone away if they bring it back.

[quote name='rocksolidaudio']yeah, it really depends on the employee. eb got an e-mail when the psp came out telling everyone that the warranty doesn't cover dead pixels, as they're not technically defects. i usually tell my customers that when they buy the warranty, but you've gotta be a real douche to turn someone away if they bring it back.[/QUOTE]

What does the EB Game warranty cover then? I don't see the thing getting damaged. Unless of course I drop it, step on it, run over it, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out what this $25 covers that the Sony does not.

Basically the sony one covers the same thing, but they dont cover shipping and you would probably have to wait a couple weeks. So the difference for that is moreso ease, you just walk in and get another. Like for instance xbox's only come w/ a 90 day warranty.

[quote name='madportagee']Basically the sony one covers the same thing, but they dont cover shipping and you would probably have to wait a couple weeks. So the difference for that is moreso ease, you just walk in and get another. Like for instance xbox's only come w/ a 90 day warranty.[/QUOTE]

Wow! They told me it was insurance and if I dropped it or someone else damaged my PSP I would bring it in and they would give me a new one.

Think I'll just go get back my $25.

you can call sony and tell them that your dead pixels developed after you bought your PSP and that you havent dropped it or anything and they should replace it for you,

when I called, the customer service rep said I could do it, but I decided not to, as my pixels just turned out to be stuck

Just take it to another EB, and don't say anything about dead pixels. Mention that the wi-fi doesn't work sometimes, or it doesn't read some UMDs. They aren't going to sit there and test every UMD or play every wi-fi game to prove you wrong. They have to take your word on it and replace it with another one. The reason you got shot down the first time is because sony told stores not to cover the dead pixel problem unless it was more then "xx" amount of pixels. So its YMMV when it comes to that.

bread's done
Back