EB return policy on used games canned...

Mishimaryu

Banned
I just picked up a used game today the guy sealed it up in a cd sleeve and says once the seal is opened it can't be returned. Did gamestop change their policy on used games too????

we haven't changed it unless it changed today. if it is new then we can't do a return though. i work at GS by the way (not eb).

[quote name='Mishimaryu']I just picked up a used game today the guy sealed it up in a cd sleeve and says once the seal is opened it can't be returned. Did gamestop change their policy on used games too????[/quote]

That's really weak, which ebgames was it in Sac?

Did he mean you can't bring it back and exchange it for another game? They have to let you return it if it's defective. If they are going to a "absolutely no returns, defective or not" policy, I won't be buying used games from EB anymore.

we haven't changed it unless it changed today. if it is new then we can't do a return though.

They have been putting yellow stickers over the opening of used games for a while here. Some Ebs adhere to this policy strictly and some do not

[quote name='jbroush99']Did he mean you can't bring it back and exchange it for another game? They have to let you return it if it's defective. If they are going to a "absolutely no returns, defective or not" policy, I won't be buying used games from EB anymore.[/quote]

I'm sure it wasn't that. Both EB and GS allow for the exchange of a used game for a different game. I'm sure the defective-exchange policy still stands.

[quote name='Mishimaryu']I just picked up a used game today the guy sealed it up in a cd sleeve and says once the seal is opened it can't be returned. Did gamestop change their policy on used games too????[/quote]

I didn't think you could ever (at least in the past few years) return a used game to EB once their plastic sticker seal had been broken. Used games at EB do come with a 'lifetime' warranty, so you could exchange it for a working copy. I've done this many times after buying the abused used games from EB Online. When a good copy was not available, I was able to exchange it for something else.

Last word I had from GameStop... last week, was you can return/exchange a used game within 7 or 10 days... forget the exact number. Even if you just didn't like the game.

I don't see how EB could eliminate all warranty aspects of buying their used games. When I'm in there, I think the number one question from purchasing parents is "what if it doesn't work?". Who would buy a used games without some kind of guarantee?

yea well it was in Elk Grove Sac, the only EB games available of South Sacramento. Oh so its a lifetime guarantee on used games now and you can bring it back whenever its a defect?

[quote name='Mishimaryu']yea well it was in Elk Grove Sac, the only EB games available of South Sacramento. Oh so its a lifetime guarantee on used games now and you can bring it back whenever its a defect?[/quote]

Thanks, I'll be sure to avoid that one, luckily, I live nowhere near Elk Grove.

When I used to buy used games, they would try to push them on me. I asked them "WHat if this game sucks? You're telling me it's good, but what if it's not?" Then the guy told me that I could return it if: 1)It sucked, 2) I beat it before 14 days, or if I just wanted to try something else. This worked fine until I bought Call of Duty and beat it in 3 days. When I went back they said they changed the policy because people abused it. These where the SAME employee that told me I could do it!!! Then they tried to act like they never said that, even though I was a regular. Those dumb-fuc.ks lost my business for good that day!!

yeah, that was f@hker-ish, personally. Having had my own EB store, I can fill you in on the general policies. The only place nationwide the policy is finite is Florida (let's all thank Jeb for that swift move in legislation - tying used video games to pawn-borkered products rather than actual retail merch). Basically, if it's pre-played, it's good to exchange (if it's defective) as long as you have that receipt. Loose the receipt (within 30 days), we can try to get another copy for you. Don't want to wait, you can grab another item. The variables differ specifically to the store after that.

As far as new games, it's extremely strict now for over a year and a half (march 13th, 2003 to be exact). Once it's been purchased, you have fourteen days to qualify for a full refund (if it's still sealed), or an exchange of the same title (if it's opened or defective). This, again, varies by the store. I try to be more people-friendly (such as that Call of Duty, if I had just said it three days prior, fine, one last swap-o, but I couldn't have done much beyond that), but the reason the policy is so tight is because of the abuse which the prior policies undertook.

Pirating and bootlegging is a huge problem in the US, as well as worldwide. This has affected many portions of all software businesses - affecting prices (higher costs to make up for the portion of the market manufacturers feel will pirate product), trade-in values (especially in PC, the most easily bootlegged), the discontinued or cancellation rate (nearly doubled on all titles in the past two years, because the seeming interest lags due to pirated versions not being polled for popularity), and it also affects the public relations aspect of things. A lot of sales associates are improperly trained to be competent enough to handle 'what if' scenarios.

To conculde, the entire policy, while abrupt and unfriendly, was an attempt to offer the best services possible. If we trim out the 'Blockbuster'-esque portions of business, sticking to sales only, EB can contribute their share to the slowing of piracy. While it sucks at first, think about other business that helped build this model - clothing stores : they require the tags to still be on the clothes, appliance stores : all product needs to be sealed in original packaging, same with computer stores, pharmaceutical products, personal hygiene, food, and all other such. And, while we don't have a direct way to try a game like a pair of pants, we do offer our insight on a game (which is not always the right opinion - this is why I recommend EGM as they're usually spot on, and am willing to allow my customers to read the reviews, or talk about them, before they buy a game), and there are places to rent games (as I myself have done many times to decide whether or not I wanted to plunk down the change, or even recommend a title).

Watch for one thing the next time you go game shopping. I encourage differentiated views in my stores - if you don't like a new release, tell the customer why. Chances are they may not mind so much, but at least they'd know in advance. If everyone likes the game so much they can't find a negative with it, THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED IT. There is almost always one negative, even it's a simple video glitch you only notice if you blink real fast, and you, the consumer, has the right to know.

Hope this helps!
-The_K

...5 posts...made a very well versed post with actual GOOD information.

You are a rere breed my man. Thank you.

[quote name='starboyk']yeah, that was f@hker-ish, personally. Having had my own EB store, I can fill you in on the general policies. The only place nationwide the policy is finite is Florida (let's all thank Jeb for that swift move in legislation - tying used video games to pawn-borkered products rather than actual retail merch). Basically, if it's pre-played, it's good to exchange (if it's defective) as long as you have that receipt. Loose the receipt (within 30 days), we can try to get another copy for you. Don't want to wait, you can grab another item. The variables differ specifically to the store after that.

As far as new games, it's extremely strict now for over a year and a half (march 13th, 2003 to be exact). Once it's been purchased, you have fourteen days to qualify for a full refund (if it's still sealed), or an exchange of the same title (if it's opened or defective). This, again, varies by the store. I try to be more people-friendly (such as that Call of Duty, if I had just said it three days prior, fine, one last swap-o, but I couldn't have done much beyond that), but the reason the policy is so tight is because of the abuse which the prior policies undertook.

Pirating and bootlegging is a huge problem in the US, as well as worldwide. This has affected many portions of all software businesses - affecting prices (higher costs to make up for the portion of the market manufacturers feel will pirate product), trade-in values (especially in PC, the most easily bootlegged), the discontinued or cancellation rate (nearly doubled on all titles in the past two years, because the seeming interest lags due to pirated versions not being polled for popularity), and it also affects the public relations aspect of things. A lot of sales associates are improperly trained to be competent enough to handle 'what if' scenarios.

To conculde, the entire policy, while abrupt and unfriendly, was an attempt to offer the best services possible. If we trim out the 'Blockbuster'-esque portions of business, sticking to sales only, EB can contribute their share to the slowing of piracy. While it sucks at first, think about other business that helped build this model - clothing stores : they require the tags to still be on the clothes, appliance stores : all product needs to be sealed in original packaging, same with computer stores, pharmaceutical products, personal hygiene, food, and all other such. And, while we don't have a direct way to try a game like a pair of pants, we do offer our insight on a game (which is not always the right opinion - this is why I recommend EGM as they're usually spot on, and am willing to allow my customers to read the reviews, or talk about them, before they buy a game), and there are places to rent games (as I myself have done many times to decide whether or not I wanted to plunk down the change, or even recommend a title).

Watch for one thing the next time you go game shopping. I encourage differentiated views in my stores - if you don't like a new release, tell the customer why. Chances are they may not mind so much, but at least they'd know in advance. If everyone likes the game so much they can't find a negative with it, THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED IT. There is almost always one negative, even it's a simple video glitch you only notice if you blink real fast, and you, the consumer, has the right to know.

Hope this helps!
-The_K[/quote]

Yeah, I agree about not abusing the system and all that. It's just that the employee assured me that I could return it, even though he most likely knew about the policy change. Had he let me know up front instead of lying, it would not be a problem. Now I know, but I won't be shopping at EB unless I can't find a game anywhere else (Katamari Damacy or Damashi).

Yeah, no doubt he should have honoured his word. Katamari is an excellent choice, by the way. Also, Wshakspear, thank you.

Back to the topic, I am unfamiliar with GameStop's current return policy, but I believe it is to the same general tone, save the lifetime guarantee on preplayed. I believe their exact policy is 30 days. Again, however, this changes depending on the store and the people (like that ruddy shop that wouldn't honor their word, as aforementioned). The only thing I can say in defense of that store, is usually policy changes at the drop of a hat. That in NO WAY justifies the shafting involved there, but I'm sure there are better places you can go near you. Now that I think of it, you might even have luck with Katamari on EB's website (having not checked, I am uncertain on this, though). Then you wouldn't have to worry about shopping the store! I know my local GameStop had a few copies in, but the boss was hoarding them all for his 'best' customers. Don't know how I feel about that practice. Also, with the website, you could use the codes on the CAG homepage to try and grab either free shipping, and preplayed with a discount.

Just a little food for thought :p
-The_K

Around me, central New Jersey, the EB stores put a sticker on all used games so that they can only be exchanged for the same game if opened and only for 14 days. After that, then according to the manager "it's your problem." The Gamestop stores around me offer a 3 month exchange if defective policy.

I asked the EB store I went to today about this and they said that if the sticker looks like it wasn't tampered with or removed, that within 14 days of buying it, you can return it for store credit(if you have the receipt). If the sticker was removed, you can only exchange it for that item, or if they're out of stock with that item, will be exchanged for store credit. As for Gamestop's warranty on used games, it's 90 days.

On the rare ocasion that I buy used from EB or GS, I tell them to check the disk. Then I ask them to let me see the disk. If it passes my inspection, then fine I'll buy it. If it is borderline, I will have them spell out the return terms and record them on my phone (yes I am a dork). That way when they try to refuse my return, I will stick it back in thier face and say "Shaq-fu you Beatch, return it.

I think this is the case for Florida only, but feel free to correct and flame me if I am wrong.
What is worse is Duval county (Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Nepturne Beach, etc) is making you fill out a second hand dealers form, the itentical form that Pawn shop brokers have to fill out to ensure that someone is not trading in stolen goods. If you recieve unused credit that isnt redeemed during that transaction (so no preorder loophole) you have to fill out this form where they get all your personal information and keep it on file for 15 days. Not only is this suck, but EB has to hold the games, which sucks for thier turnaround. My way around this idiotic law is to spend 0.01 cent above what my credit is. That way no forms no hassle. If that is not an option, I get a gift card. Well just my way of helping out fellow CAGers who happen to travel through Duval country in Florida, or us unfortunate souls that live here, (WhipSmartBanky amoung others)

[quote name='sying']On the rare ocasion that I buy used from EB or GS, I tell them to check the disk. Then I ask them to let me see the disk. If it passes my inspection, then fine I'll buy it. If it is borderline, I will have them spell out the return terms and record them on my phone (yes I am a dork). That way when they try to refuse my return, I will stick it back in thier face and say "Shaq-fu you Beatch, return it.
[/quote]

So LAME.

EB did this to themselves when they were on national news for not giving back the stolen merchandise to that one lady who had her house robbed. She found her stuff at EB and they told her she had to buy it for their marked up prices.

If EB would have been smart they would have given it back to her as an act of good will. Afterall they bought stollen goods.

[quote name='hohndog'][quote name='Mishimaryu']I just picked up a used game today the guy sealed it up in a cd sleeve and says once the seal is opened it can't be returned. Did gamestop change their policy on used games too????[/quote]

I Who would buy a used games without some kind of guarantee?[/quote]
Ive boughten quite a few games without a guarantee, but that was at a swap meet, and the price was right

[quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='sying']On the rare ocasion that I buy used from EB or GS, I tell them to check the disk. Then I ask them to let me see the disk. If it passes my inspection, then fine I'll buy it. If it is borderline, I will have them spell out the return terms and record them on my phone (yes I am a dork). That way when they try to refuse my return, I will stick it back in thier face and say "Shaq-fu you Beatch, return it.
[/quote]

So LAME.[/quote]
I agree very lame, especially if you let them know you are recording them, since you have to let them know for that recording to be legit

[quote name='Birakon']its not like they knew it was stolen[/quote]

Doesn't matter. Why do you think they ask to see ID when you trade something in?

[quote name='Birakon']its not like they knew it was stolen[/quote]

But there are many state/local laws that forbid the resale of merchandise for a certain period of time (3 to 7 days in most parts). They just turned around and put the merchandise on the shelf completely disregarding the law.

Actually, just to clarify this for all of you guys.

I just came back from our yearly trade show, this year in sunny Florida, and this is the new policy.

Please remember that not all stores operate the same. They SHOULD but some do not.

Here it is. In the North East and Canada, we have been testing a new policy on both NEW and PRE-PLYAED games.

PP Games used to have a lifetime warranty on them as long as you saved you receipt. The return policy is now the same as the new games. Returnable within 14 days if unopened for full refund or exchange. Exchangeable for similar title with receipt if defective.

The NEW policy which should roll out company wide shortly is, you will now be able to purchase a one year Game Protection Plan. (GPG) This is basically a one year warranty on you new or PP game. If it is defective, new or PP, you have 14 days to return/exchange it. AFTER that initial 14 days if you do not have a GPG then you can NOT return/exchange it.

The price for the GPG is as follows. New/PP games less than $24.99 you can purchase a 1 year GPG for $2.00. New/PP games greater than $24.99 you can purchase a 1 year GPG for $3.00. The only exception to the rule is MMORPG's. Any PC game, new or PP that requires a cd key is excluded.

Any questions?

^

When I went to EB last week I was informed of that warranty policy when buying a used game. I knew that 'lifetime warranty' wouldn't last long.

[quote name='yeahokthenfu'][quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='sying']On the rare ocasion that I buy used from EB or GS, I tell them to check the disk. Then I ask them to let me see the disk. If it passes my inspection, then fine I'll buy it. If it is borderline, I will have them spell out the return terms and record them on my phone (yes I am a dork). That way when they try to refuse my return, I will stick it back in thier face and say "Shaq-fu you Beatch, return it.
[/quote]

So LAME.[/quote]
I agree very lame, especially if you let them know you are recording them, since you have to let them know for that recording to be legit[/quote]

Call me thickheaded but why am I lame? Its not like I let them know that I'm recording them, its a few button presses on my Ngage QD and its descretely recorded. I normally don't use this tatic unless the CSA is a noob or a complete asshat.

[quote name='sying'][quote name='yeahokthenfu'][quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='sying']On the rare ocasion that I buy used from EB or GS, I tell them to check the disk. Then I ask them to let me see the disk. If it passes my inspection, then fine I'll buy it. If it is borderline, I will have them spell out the return terms and record them on my phone (yes I am a dork). That way when they try to refuse my return, I will stick it back in thier face and say "Shaq-fu you Beatch, return it.
[/quote]

So LAME.[/quote]
I agree very lame, especially if you let them know you are recording them, since you have to let them know for that recording to be legit[/quote]

Call me thickheaded but why am I lame? Its not like I let them know that I'm recording them, its a few button presses on my Ngage QD and its descretely recorded. I normally don't use this tatic unless the CSA is a noob or a complete asshat.[/quote]

Well if they don't know they're being recorded then the recording would be thrown out if they still refused and you took them to court. You fail for two reasons:
1. You see absolutley nothing strange or wrong with doing this
2. You shop contiunally at a store whom you trust so little that you record their return policy on your phone

I agree with the previous posters, very lame.

[quote name='The Game']The NEW policy which should roll out company wide shortly is, you will now be able to purchase a one year Game Protection Plan. (GPG) This is basically a one year warranty on you new or PP game. If it is defective, new or PP, you have 14 days to return/exchange it. AFTER that initial 14 days if you do not have a GPG then you can NOT return/exchange it.

The price for the GPG is as follows. New/PP games less than $24.99 you can purchase a 1 year GPG for $2.00. New/PP games greater than $24.99 you can purchase a 1 year GPG for $3.00. The only exception to the rule is MMORPG's. Any PC game, new or PP that requires a cd key is excluded. [/quote]

You wouldn't happen to know if games purchased online through the companies website would be included under the GPG would you?

bread's done
Back