eBay and UPS question - Edit more help needed

Dokstarr

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hey everyone,

somebody recently won one of my auctions and sent me a message saying this:

Hi will be sendding payment shortly but needed to see if it could be sent to my wifes work she is a certified ups shipper she needs to know if it could be sent next day collect to her and she would pay for it when it came to her work, please let me know if this could be done thanks.

So, what it looks like is the person will send me the money for it. Then I send it UPS next day and the person will pay for the shipping when it gets there?

Can you do that UPS? Person pays shipping upon delivery?

I've only used UPS a handful of times before so I don't know to much about it.

Update:

I pretty much copied and pasted the response posted below about ebay seller protection policy and the person sent me the payment anyways and the address is confirmed, etc.

But the person still wants me to ship it next day pay on delivery and they will pay ups. It's going to a company where the person is a "certified ups shipper", is that giving them a deal and why they want to do this?

Can I get screwed on this? If the person doesn't accept it then it will just be mailed back to me I assume and I get it back. Do I have to pay extra for this?

The person has positive feedback (+32) with 6 transactions in the past 90 days (one was a computer).

Thanks help would be appreciated. That way I can mail it out tomorrow since I assume person wants it for Christmas or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tell him:
"Sorry, no. In order to comply with eBay's seller protection policy items must be shipped to the address registered with eBay/Paypal. I cannot ship to 3rd party addresses. All items must be paid in full prior to shipping. Your business is greatly appreciated. Thank you."

If he doesn't want to pay than don't ship. I've done some eBay-ing and truth is I would rather lose a sale and get my fees back next time I sell the item than give something away for free and pay shipping on top of that and then hope that I might get paid when they receive it at this 3rd party address. Sounds kinda shady to me.:whistle2:k But that's just my 2cents.

You can ship via UPS COD (meaning that the shipping will be collected along with the value of the item by UPS, and you'll get a check from them in a week or so). However, you're far better off just paying the shipping yourself, because if you ship it C.O.D. and they refuse the charges, you get stuck with the cost of shipping regardless. Next Day Air isn't cheap either.

If you charged shipping in the terms of the auction, you're essentially liable to ship that way. Use that as your way out if he gives you trouble.

I agree, I wouldn't ship collect and I wouldn't ship to a 3rd party address not listed on the ebay account

[quote name='Dokstarr']Can I get screwed on this? If the person doesn't accept it then it will just be mailed back to me I assume and I get it back. Do I have to pay extra for this?[/quote]

If the work address isn't the confirmed one, then yeah, they can still screw you. As for if the package is refused, since its COD, you would be responsible for paying for the shipping costs(and the package held until you paid it).

bread's done
Back