Ebay charging fees on shipping costs starting April 19th

SaraAB

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I got an email awhile ago stating that ebay will give sellers 50 free listings every month, but they will also charge fees on the shipping costs of your auction as well as the price of the auction.

I guess this is the only way to combat massive fee circumvention since there are still a lot of people who overcharge for shipping in massive amounts.

But as usual this is a bad change for the seller and I can see prices definitely going up on ebay because of this.

stupid. another reason why ebay has gone down the toilet. do they not realize that for the most part the buyers sort this type of thing out?

You fail to mention that fees are being reduced slightly to try to offset charging fees on shipping. Personally this change will save me money. It mostly just hurts those with items that are extremely expensive to ship.

[quote name='aem']You fail to mention that fees are being reduced slightly. Personally this change will save me money. It mostly just hurts those with items that are extremely expensive to ship.[/QUOTE]

fees should be reduced. fees shouldn't be added at the same time.

Obviously eBay fees are way too high, but nothings going to get better unless a company like Google or Facebook make a competing auction site. eBay fees are better than Amazons IMO.

[quote name='aem']Obviously eBay fees are way too high, but nothings going to get better unless a company like Google or Facebook make a competing auction site. eBay fees are better than Amazons IMO.[/QUOTE]

I saw somewhere on here where someone did the math and they are better but I always have had things sell MUCH quicker on Amazon than on ebay. I will pay higher fees for that.

eBay already limits the shipping fees to ridiculously small amounts in some categories. I often lose money shipping to CA with their $6 and $4 limit in many categories, so this will make it even worse. (This is the main reason I had to stop offering "lots" because eBay does not let you adjust fees for including multiple items in the same auction.) And international shipments will be even worse! I've sent $200 packages overseas... and still didn't even break even on the shipping.

[quote name='soonersfan60']eBay already limits the shipping fees to ridiculously small amounts in some categories. I often lose money shipping to CA with their $6 and $4 limit in many categories, so this will make it even worse. (This is the main reason I had to stop offering "lots" because eBay does not let you adjust fees for including multiple items in the same auction.) And international shipments will be even worse! I've sent $200 packages overseas... and still didn't even break even on the shipping.[/QUOTE]

Those limited shipping charges are bullshit. I just notate a different shipping cost in the auction and then contact my buyer to make sure they understand that. The good thing is you can adjust the invoice shipping after the auction is over.

[quote name='soonersfan60']eBay already limits the shipping fees to ridiculously small amounts in some categories. I often lose money shipping to CA with their $6 and $4 limit in many categories, so this will make it even worse. (This is the main reason I had to stop offering "lots" because eBay does not let you adjust fees for including multiple items in the same auction.) And international shipments will be even worse! I've sent $200 packages overseas... and still didn't even break even on the shipping.[/QUOTE]

I use calculated shipping and I have never had this problem and I have shipped over 100 items last year alone. Calculated shipping lets you charge by weight of shipping, but in order to get the weight you will have to have boxes sorted out and your items at least sitting in the boxes ahead of time so you can get the exact weight, also you will need to own a scale. I use my grandpa's old fishing scale so really, any type of scale that you can stick a box on will do. A slightly off estimate for the weight of the package usually works just fine for calculated shipping, it doesn't have to be exact. I think they only limit you if you select a flat shipping or if you don't use calculated shipping.

International buyers are not usually an issue for me as they always email me to ask what the shipping charge is for the item, I then quote them a price using USPS.com and if my price is grossly exaggerated I simply refund the difference. I just put international buyers email me for shipping costs in the auction. If an international buyer buys one of my items without contacting me first it has not been an issue either since they are usually plenty satisfied with the price I charge for shipping. I get all my packing materials for free through various means so I don't have to charge additional costs for packing materials. If you were buying packing materials though it would be very expensive to sell on ebay.

I am guessing I will probably make out better with the new fee structure since I keep listing stuff but it takes forever to sell. If my items sold right away then I would be better off paying listing fees instead of extra on the shipping fees but as of now my stuff does not sell right away but it might sell after I have listed it 5 times. So now I have to pay listing fees x5 since my items are not selling right away. I don't know why its taking so long for my stuff to sell, I think ebay just isn't as popular as it used to be, for many reasons.

Selling on Amazon is crazy from what I hear on here, and if buyers don't leave feedback, which almost none do, then your account can get banned for lack of feedback. Buyers on amazon are super picky too, even more picky than buyers on ebay. If you get one negative on ebay it doesn't hurt you badly (I have noticed that almost no sellers on ebay have 100% feedback anymore), but one negative or low feedback score on amazon can get your seller account banned permanently.

If you don't agree with the shipping limit imposed on some category items, just don't list them in that category. Nobody searches by category anyway. I list almost everything in Computers & Networking > Software > Video Software > Other. It doesn't have a shipping limit and I think the fee percentage is cheaper than listing in DVDs or games.

I'm personally glad to see them finally doing something about the asinine sellers still offering things for $1 BIN + $25 shipping, I see this way too often. Hopefully this will change to full stop when the fee carries over to shipping.

Last time I checked the Fixed Listing Final Value Fee =

15% Video Games/DVDs/Books/Music
12% Clothes/Everything else
8% Electronics

[quote name='Kerig']If you don't agree with the shipping limit imposed on some category items, just don't list them in that category. Nobody searches by category anyway. I list almost everything in Computers & Networking > Software > Video Software > Other. It doesn't have a shipping limit and I think the fee percentage is cheaper than listing in DVDs or games.

I'm personally glad to see them finally doing something about the asinine sellers still offering things for $1 BIN + $25 shipping, I see this way too often. Hopefully this will change to full stop when the fee carries over to shipping.

Last time I checked the Fixed Listing Final Value Fee =

15% Video Games/DVDs/Books/Music
12% Clothes/Everything else
8% Electronics[/QUOTE]
I hd no idea about the fee listing stuff, thanks a bunch.

It wouldn't be so bad if they cut a break for Paypal. They pretty much require you to use PP and take a cut of that as well. Why not waive PP fees if selling something on ebay? That would be nice.

bread's done
Back