eBay Digital Code Sale Advice Please

lokie56

CAGiversary!
So question for you guys who I hope are a bit more eBay savvy. I was trying to sell a video game code. It sold one time last week but then buyer never paid so I opened case after no response after messaging.

Then by accident over weekend I relisted it, (didn't realize till today) and it got bought and paid for today....by the same guy who still has an opened unpaid case against him (closing tonight).

And it gets better seems when it got relisted it allowed international buyers and this guy is in Australia. He has literally 2 FBack from the same guy who has 25 Fback +, for helping people play the video game , same game this special code is for. (not the game something else)

What would you do, just cancel it outright, mail a copy of the slip to the international center , and then if he claims issue can I go against eBay and saw what the hell. I know eBay sides with buyer 99%, but I have like 212 + FB this guy has got 2 from same guy.

I don't mind losing sale, but I really would like to be done with selling this item.   

If you can provide proof that you shipped the item to the address on the PayPal invoice you will be protected against an unauthorized payment (chargeback) dispute

If you can provide proof of delivery then you will be protected against an Item Not Received dispute

There is no protection against a NAD (not as described; i.e. the code did not work)

Furthermore, regardless of the "other people do it" defense; selling non-tangible items is against the T&C of eBay.

You said the buyer is in Australia, is that his shipping address, or is he using an American address (freight forwarder?)

They want me to ship to ebay shipping center and then they send to Au.

And I realize selling codes via message is against TC of eBay but my understanding was shipping code on a code sheet (ie like a code card you got at an event for instance) falls within terms.

I am debating to just cancel it, but part of me just wants to risk it and get it over with.

They want me to ship to ebay shipping center and then they send to Au.

And I realize selling codes via message is against TC of eBay but my understanding was shipping code on a code sheet (ie like a code card you got at an event for instance) falls within terms.

I am debating to just cancel it, but part of me just wants to risk it and get it over with.
You'll get an MC999 e-mail from eBay for listing an unauthorized item IF and ONLY IF you get flagged by eBay; sometimes the listings get picked up by bots and other times they are reported by other users and/or competitors.

You are right that as long as you ship something, you have "some" protections. It doesn't mean that the listing all of a sudden is safe; eBay can still flag and issue an account warning even after an item has been sold (sometimes a week after).

If you ship it to the sort center you'll be protected against an INR claim assuming the USPS tracking shows delivered to that zip code AND that was the address specified on the PayPal Invoice. You'll also be protected against an unauthorized use chargeback because you'll have a tracking number and therefore will be able to show proof of shipment (delivery is not required but obviously helps).

Again you will have no protection if the buyer states the code didn't work (some DLC does are region locked); claims he only got a piece of paper with a handwritten code (some people oddly enough collect the DLC inserts so if you have the original, send it) or any other NAD excuse worthy of opening a claim.

There have been some changes so depending on which medium he files the NAD (I can't remember if it's eBay or PayPal) you will have to pay return shipping if you wanted the code back (this pertains to all items). Of course it wouldn't be worth your while and at that point you'd just issue the refund.

Some people think they're safe shipping internationally against NAD claims because in previous years the buyer always had to pay their own return shipping so they'd be very unlikely to make up a fake case knowing that. This isn't the case anymore.

You can also write the code down, mail it, and once it's been handed to the post office send the code via eBay messaging. If they claim NAD before the tracking shows delivered they'd look stupid at that point.

I decided to just roll the dice in end. Thanks GBA for advice really appreciate it.

It was $17, to pay for trackable mail would have been $3-4, and it might have been all for nothing especially if the other guy bails.

Worst case ill try and fight a bit if he trys to pursue NDA, but as you said probably wont work.

Regardless I noted that I intend to donate a portion to charity (which I fully intend to so regardless of what he does), hopefully he will stay honest.

bread's done
Back