Ebay/EBGames working together to cancel PS3 preorders??

Haha. I wonder what the legality of that is. That would be great though. All those people lose their order and let someone else buy the PS3 to eBay.

The whole thing about this ensuring only people who actually want the console will get one is garbage. This way the person just sells it after it's released. And, I think there would need to be something illegal about eb/gs cancelling preorders like that.

Reasons this is bullshit:
1) Sony, Ebay, and EB have no incentive to do this. What do they care who ends up with it. Ebay actually would be losing quite a bit of money.

2) It would be extremely difficult to do. EB isn't exactly known for being effeciently run. You think a company where half the stores don't understand their own sales can mount a company wide effort to match preorders with sales on ebay?

3) Legality. While I don't know the exact laws, and it may be different in Canada, once you sell something to somebody else, you no longer control the means of distribution on it. If not outright illegal, this would most definately be borderline.

If true, this would be GREAT. I'd love to see the ebayers shut down. Really pisses me off when they snatch up systems that should be in the hands of people who want to play them.

I would NEVER deal with an ebay snatcher. Both because of the risk of being ripped off, and out of the principle of the thing.

Legality? Ebay can do whatever it wants, and quite possibly Gamestop can too. They've already prevented people from getting more than one. This isn't much different from that.

Scare tactic nothing more. EB is just pissed they can't hold every system for online sales and force every PS3 to be sold with some $3000.00 bundle.

[quote name='Puppy']If true, this would be GREAT. I'd love to see the ebayers shut down.
[/quote]

This is actually great for them. The demand is there regardless, so the harder it is to for the demand to be filled, the higher the price will be. Black Market/Underground prices are going to be higher than legal prices.

If Ebay sales were banned completely, they'd be getting $4K in cash and a blowjob behind the Olive Garden.

[quote name='TC']Scare tactic nothing more. EB is just pissed they can't hold every system for online sales and force every PS3 to be sold with some $3000.00 bundle.[/quote]

If they wanted that, none of the stores would've gotten any pre-orders.

[quote name='Puppy']
Legality? Ebay can do whatever it wants, and quite possibly Gamestop can too. They've already prevented people from getting more than one. This isn't much different from that.[/quote]

Yes, legality. Ebay can do whatever they want. However, EB/Sony, can't. EB and Sony have already sold the systems to the people who have bought them. Preventing somebody from getting more than one and telling them what they can do with something after they buy it is completely different.

There is no difference between Sony saying now that you cant resell it on Ebay verses them saying that you can't resell a used system or games in a few years or that you can't trade in your PS2 to EB towards a PS3. They have already sold the systems to the consumers, it is theirs to do with what they want.

[quote name='tangytangerine']If they wanted that, none of the stores would've gotten any pre-orders.[/QUOTE]

They had to do some in store preorders or risk pissing off the people that support the over 4000+ retail locations. If there would have been a way to funnel all PS3 units to online sales without hurting the credibility of the retail locations it would have been done. Its simple business. Do you make more money on a system sold at a store that has retail overhead or more on a system, plus games, plus extra controllers, plus anything else they can shove down your throat shipped from a warehouse?

[quote name='drfunk85']Yes, legality. Ebay can do whatever they want. However, EB/Sony, can't. EB and Sony have already sold the systems to the people who have bought them. Preventing somebody from getting more than one and telling them what they can do with something after they buy it is completely different.

There is no difference between Sony saying now that you cant resell it on Ebay verses them saying that you can't resell a used system or games in a few years or that you can't trade in your PS2 to EB towards a PS3. They have already sold the systems to the consumers, it is theirs to do with what they want.[/QUOTE]

Except they HAVEN'T sold it yet, so it's different IMO.

I think selling preorders is a dumb move anyway. There is no guarantee that they can fill their preorders, it's best just to wait until you actually have it in you hands.

[quote name='MadFlava']I think selling preorders is a dumb move anyway. There is no guarantee that they can fill their preorders, it's best just to wait until you actually have it in you hands.[/quote]

Yeah, I wish stores would just ditch the pre-order thing for game systems. That way if you're not there on launch day, well you fucked yourself out the system.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yeah, I wish stores would just ditch the pre-order thing for game systems. That way if you're not there on launch day, well you fucked yourself out the system.[/QUOTE]

If the preorder doesn't work out then you are screwed, you have to then make quick preparations to camp out. Hopefully, Eb and Gamestop will inform people more than a week in advance if they can't fill their preorder. That way, I can make other plans.

bread's done
Back