eBay experts: quick question about AS IS item

Jommy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
43 (100%)
I recently bought a new laptop battery from eBay; it was listed as "New" and "OEM". It just got here today and while I don't think it's a bootleg (may still be a bootleg since bootlegs are so good now), it doesn't look new. It has scratches everywhere that look like the battery was pulled out of the computer many many times. Additionally when I did a full charge of the battery just now, it completely drained after about 10 minutes. This is not what I would call "new".

However, the guy in his listing states in the small text at the bottom that he is selling "AS IS" and that all sales are final. Do I have any recourse? Thanks for any info!!

If it wasn't new then the auction was misleading although the "as is" language should have been a definite red flag.

Yeah I was really an idiot. I saw that language too, but I needed a 9 cell and they were the only ones claiming to sell a real one, not a generic. So does that mean I just have to eat the cost then?

If it is marked as "new" but definitely not "new", I would fight it. Even if "as is" is in the description somewhere. They are abusing "new" by tossing it in.

Fight it. Ebay will side with you. Ebay doesn't seem to care if you list something as 'as is' and 'all sales are final' Ebay still holds the seller to a true and accurate discription. I feel confident you will win if you dispute it through ebay.

[quote name='JediKiller24']Fight it. Ebay will side with you. Ebay doesn't seem to care if you list something as 'as is' and 'all sales are final' Ebay still holds the seller to a true and accurate discription. I feel confident you will win if you dispute it through ebay.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the buyer has all the advantages. Considering you have a legitimate complaint, I see eBay siding with you, OP.

First thing you should do is contact the seller and inform them of the faulty battery, giving them a chance to refund or replace the item.

If they refuse a refund/replacement, leave negative feedback and open a case. The "as is" in the sellers listing doesn't fly unless he chose to sell under the "For Parts Or Not working" condition.

It'll take some time but you will get your money back.

[quote name='georox']if it is marked as "new" but definitely not "new", i would fight it. Even if "as is" is in the description somewhere. They are abusing "new" by tossing it in.[/quote]

this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Awesome! Thanks for all the info and support guys. I'll contact him to see what he's willing to do first. Thanks again!

All that "As Is" means in the retail world is that it doesn't come with a warranty. Contrary to what a lot of eBay sellers want you to think, it's not an excuse to sell broken crap without being explicit about it.

[quote name='twiceborn']First thing you should do is contact the seller and inform them of the faulty battery, giving them a chance to refund or replace the item.

If they refuse a refund/replacement, leave negative feedback and open a case. The "as is" in the sellers listing doesn't fly unless he chose to sell under the "For Parts Or Not working" condition.

It'll take some time but you will get your money back.[/QUOTE]

This. Contact the seller first, and take action later if need be. You should have read carefully, BUT, stating NEW and AS IS don't usually go hand in hand.

Semi-related question - can I list a scratched (damaged) game "as is" on eBay? It doesn't work for me, but I suppose if someone has a way to resurface it...

There is an option to list broken items on eBay but is should be clearly stated and the section has to be under "for parts or not working."

bread's done
Back