eBay iPod Classic Blooper

Karuto

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey, I just bought an 80GB iPod off of eBay. I paid $157 (including shipping) for it. The listing said it was an iPod Classic, but when I got it, I noticed right away that it was actually the older 5G version. The seller said if I returned it, she would refund the total price of the mp3 player. It's not that big a deal to me, but I realize that the support might go away fast, especially since the games on the new iPod are a different format for the older ones (aka, the old games won't work on the new iPod).

What would you guys do? Should I return it and try and find the 80GB iPod Classic, even if it might end up costing me a little bit more? Or, should I just keep it and be happy I even found one for that price?

Hello again!

You should return it... but make the seller pay shipping, and make sure that they refund you your original shipping too. (since it was 100% their fault) If they won't, you can file a claim on paypal and say you received the wrong product.

I just got lucky and got a classic 80gb for $170. They usually go around for $190 though (refurbished) In for a 2 year warranty with squaretrade for like another $23... Might as well since I heard that batteries on iPods fail after a year or two.

Good luck!

I would keep it. All the games that the ipod Classic can play can be played on the 5G ipod as well--you'd only have a real problem if you thought you were getting an ipod touch, there really isn't much different between the Classic and the 5G. Tho I believe the 80 gb 5G is somewhat thicker than the classic, so if that makes a difference to you and you can find a deal like Hybrid5006 suggested, perhaps it's worth the effort. But your 5G will be able to run all the same games as the Classic will.

Oh... forgot to say...

You can also ask the seller for a partial refund. You can file a paypal claim asking them to refund you a small amount in order for you to be satisfied , lets say $20 - $30...

I once got a very scratched PSP and 2 broken PSP games, when it was described in good cosmetic and working condition. I filed a $40 claim with paypal and surely the dude agreed to it! Sometimes it's better for them to refund a small amount, rather than to hassle with a full refund.

The iPod is used.

So, I should return it? See, I get so comfortable with things I buy, so is the upgrade to Classic a big one? I heard the GUI and file type support was better. :)

Alright, I went ahead and opened a dispute on the PayPal Resolution Center. I don't really mind having the 5G, as the real reason I would go to Classic would be for the GUI and the ability to rent movies (which I'm not interested in anyway since I can just watch said movies on my HDTV instead). I think it'd be for the best. Sure, it's a little chunkier, but I don't see the iPod Classic being that much a difference when it'll be in my pocket anyway.

bread's done
Back