Ebay item was delivered to the wrong address?

Sharp Katana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
213 (100%)
Last week I shipped out a game that was sold through ebay. I had delivery confirmation and insurance on the package. I decided to check the delivery confirmation # about 3 days later, it showed it had been delivered. 2 days pass and the buyer emails me about never receiving the game. I asked him to check with members in his household as well as around the house. The guy tells me he already did that and contacted the post office. He claims the post office told him it was probably delivered to the wrong address.

I don't know if the guy is lying to get a free game or whatever, but doesn't it seem kind of fishy that the post office would just flat out tell him 'we probably lost your package?' Any tips on what I should do besides filing a claim with my local USPS? Should I contact the Postal inspectors? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Tell him tough shit...You did your part and if the post office screwed up its up to him to find out what went down.

[quote name='KSHLove']Last week I shipped out a game that was sold through ebay. I had delivery confirmation and insurance on the package. I decided to check the delivery confirmation # about 3 days later, it showed it had been delivered. 2 days pass and the buyer emails me about never receiving the game. I asked him to check with members in his household as well as around the house. The guy tells me he already did that and contacted the post office. He claims the post office told him it was probably delivered to the wrong address.

I don't know if the guy is lying to get a free game or whatever, but doesn't it seem kind of fishy that the post office would just flat out tell him 'we probably lost your package?' Any tips on what I should do besides filing a claim with my local USPS? Should I contact the Postal inspectors? Help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]And that's why you got delivery confirmation in the first place. At this point, it's out of your hands and he has to deal with the USPS.

If you had delivery conformation and the tracking number says it was delivered, in theory if the guy tries to get his money through paypal, he shouldnt have a leg to stand on.

Of course this is paypal and they always screw over the sellers, so.....

[quote name='Dream to Dream']And that's why you got delivery confirmation in the first place. At this point, it's out of your hands and he has to deal with the USPS.[/quote]

I don't agree with this statement. As a seller, it is your responsibility to get the item to the buyer. If you purchased insurance, it is YOUR responsibility to contact USPS and make the matter right.

I get that kind of message at least a few times a month, usually after I give them the DC number and the buyer knows I have it (I think they are trying to see if I have it or not so they can file a claim and scam me), 99% of the time that is the end I hear about it.

I actually just had Nebracaza26 (sorry I don't remember your name exactly) send Mega Race to old apartment by accident. No one's been there over the break for school, or at least nobody has answered the door. Hopefully it's there!

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I don't agree with this statement. As a seller, it is your responsibility to get the item to the buyer. If you purchased insurance, it is YOUR responsibility to contact USPS and make the matter right.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I'm always surprised at how many people don't know this.

It's the seller's responsibility to make sure the buyer receives the item whether it's on eBay, Amazon, or any retailer who ships a package to a buyer. Delivery confirmation might help you in most cases with PayPal but if the buyer used a credit card and files a charge back, then you'll be fucked.

Luckily for you, you insured the package. You have to go to your local post office and file a claim. You have to tell this to the buyer and tell him he has to wait until the USPS finishes their investigation.

The reason why the USPS told the buyer they probably lost the package is because they're not responsible for lost packages, believe it or not, unless you insure it. So the USPS clerk probably assumed the package wasn't insured and hence why comfortability said the package was delivered to the wrong address.

I honestly think the buyer is BSing you though. First, email him and ask him for the phone number to his local USPS. His openness with providing the number will be an indication as to if he really called or if he was BSing you. (Yeah, you can look it up but it's more fun this way.. lets the buyer know you're not fucking around.) Talk to the USPS reps yourself and provide the DC#. They'll be able to find out the driver and ask him about the package and will get back to you in a few days. They should get some kind of info out the driver which may or may not explain the state of the package. When they ultimately realize the package was insure, they'll have an "OH SHIT!!! WE fuckED UP!!!" moment and will take you more seriously.

But if things haven't worked out by now, you should go and file a insurance claim.

Since luckily you had insurance, just file a claim then. Th post office will then track the package and determine whether it was delivered or not, and if not they will compensate you.

I went into my local USPS station and they told me to contact the branch that delivers mail to the buyer's zip code. I will go ahead and contact him for the phone #, and then try to speak to the mail carrier in his area.

I forgot to mention the buyer told me he usually gets mail in the afternoon around 3pm and the DC# shows it was delivered 9AM in the morning.

I am worried that if he files a claim through paypal I'll end up getting fucked because I have in the past before.

Is buyer current address update to their paypal account? In several occasion I get package wasn't received due to fact they moved and they didn't update their paypal shipping address. I don't think I feel responsible for their mistakes. Luckily, for me the resident in that address ship the package to it's intentional destination or package return back to me and I have to either reship or refund them.

In most cases, it could be the buyer is lying. Ebay is full of lying scum bags! That's why I rarely sell stuff there and use Goozex instead. It could also be USPS made a grave error in their part. It could be sending it to wrong address or leaving package outside house, thus, leaving it exposed to easy theft.

Hopefully you get everything straightened out.

This is what happened to the last item I sent, which should've arrived by now:
Label/Receipt Number: 0461 8270 2190 1216 5313

Your item was misrouted. The error has been corrected and every effort is being made to deliver it as soon as possible. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

And yes, there are many liars on ebay. Even Goozex, which I experienced before Christmas. Ended up purchasing the game Christmas eve and Leaving Negative feedback.

USPS sucks, but luckily in my area the neighborhood mailbox is right in front of my house, so the mail lady brings the package to my door (plus I speak with her every so often).
Now with UPS and FedEx, they ring the doorbell and before I can even get to the door, they are gone. I don't even see the truck leave. Luckily I live in a low theft risk neighborhood.

I have to agree with others that state it is still the seller's problem and his duty to correct it. If I bought something from Amazon and I never received the item, I would fully expect Amazon to rectify the situation. Although the OP is a regular Joe and not a mega corporation like Amazon doesn't change the fact that he is still a seller.

I asked for the phone # from the buyer and he willingly gave it to me so I called up the Post Office. The clerk said he remembers speaking to the buyer about an issue not too long ago. Since the package was insured he told me to file a claim with my local USPS. I'm heading down there to turn in the claim form. I'll update once I hear back.

[quote name='UjnHunter']Good thing you got delivery confirmation! It's not your problem now.[/quote]

I'm still amazed at the incompetence of some people.

It IS his problem. It's one of the responsibilities he accepts by selling items on ebay. It is his responsibility to get the item to the buyer, in the same condition as stated in the auction.

Why do some people think it's the buyer's problem? They paid for an item, so why shouldn't they expect to receive it? Unless the buyer provided an incorrect address, then it's completely up to the seller to rectify the problem and get the item to the buyer.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']I'm still amazed at the incompetence of some people.

It IS his problem. It's one of the responsibilities he accepts by selling items on ebay. It is his responsibility to get the item to the buyer, in the same condition as stated in the auction.

Why do some people think it's the buyer's problem? They paid for an item, so why shouldn't they expect to receive it? Unless the buyer provided an incorrect address, then it's completely up to the seller to rectify the problem and get the item to the buyer.[/QUOTE]

I don't know where this notion that it is the seller's responsibility to "get the item to the buyer" originated, but it's completely bogus. The seller is only responsible for packaging the item so that it doesn't get damaged in transit, and transferring possession of the item to the shipping service (USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.). After that, responsibility shifts to the buyer, so it's their loss if their package gets lost. Some sellers (especially major retailers) will send a replacement or offer a refund for the sake of customer service, but no court of law will ever force the seller to do so (unless the seller was negligent with his or her responsibilities).

If you boil it down, the buyer is ultimately the one contracting the shipping service to deliver the item, so any problems that occur while the item is in transit are for the buyer to deal with, not the seller. For example, suppose I am a buyer and you are a seller, and I want to purchase an item from you that you are selling for $10. If I send you $10, I now have ownership of the item, but I do not yet have possession. There are two different ways that I can obtain possession: (1) I can pick up the item myself, or (2) I can pay a shipping service to deliver the item to me. Notice that either way, it's up to me to get the item from you, not the other way around.

SlammedNiss, you mention that if a buyer pays for an item, they should expect to receive it. But what about the seller's perspective? They mailed the item, so shouldn't they expect to be paid for it? The answer to that question is yes, and it's because when the buyer pays for S&H, the buyer is paying for the seller to ship the item, not to deliver the item. That's where your (and others') thinking is flawed.

I noticed that all my packages that arrive from USPS has a green "Scan Before Delivery" sticker on it. Do you guys get that as well?

[quote name='video_gamer324']I don't know where this notion that it is the seller's responsibility to "get the item to the buyer" originated, but it's completely bogus. The seller is only responsible for packaging the item so that it doesn't get damaged in transit, and transferring possession of the item to the shipping service (USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.). After that, responsibility shifts to the buyer, so it's their loss if their package gets lost. Some sellers (especially major retailers) will send a replacement or offer a refund for the sake of customer service, but no court of law will ever force the seller to do so (unless the seller was negligent with his or her responsibilities).[/quote]

It's simple. As already stated above by somebody else, if you purchase an item from an online retailer like Amazon or Best Buy, you expect to receive it, correct? If you don't, do you think they'll tell you tough poop? No, it's THEIR responsibility to get the item to you, the buyer.

In this situation, the seller luckily purchased insurance. He holds the appropriate paperwork to file to the complaint. So, it's his responsibility to remedy the matter. I normally don't purchase insurance on games that I sell, unless of course they are worth more than I am willing to lose. On items I don't feel like losing money on, I just add insurance into the final shipping price automatically, and don't give the buyer a choice.

What's your ebay, ID. I'll add you to my "Do not buy from" list if you aren't going to assure delivery of the items you sell.

[quote name='video_gamer324']I don't know where this notion that it is the seller's responsibility to "get the item to the buyer" originated, but it's completely bogus. The seller is only responsible for packaging the item so that it doesn't get damaged in transit, and transferring possession of the item to the shipping service (USPS, FedEx, DHL, etc.). After that, responsibility shifts to the buyer, so it's their loss if their package gets lost. Some sellers (especially major retailers) will send a replacement or offer a refund for the sake of customer service, but no court of law will ever force the seller to do so (unless the seller was negligent with his or her responsibilities).[/quote]

It's simple. As already stated above by somebody else, if you purchase an item from an online retailer like Amazon or Best Buy, you expect to receive it, correct? If you don't, do you think they'll tell you tough poop? No, it's THEIR responsibility to get the item to you, the buyer.

the one time i lost something in the mail I bought off ebay, I called the post office and they told me to dial a 1800 number which was a complete joke. when I was finally able to find some help they told me the one who sent the package had to do all the work and I could do nothing, not even file a claim they just said well tracking says its in dallas, but its been there for 2 weeks I can drive down there in 2 hours and get the dam thing myself. Well after a long while I had to file a paypal complaint and I got my money back but I dont know what happened to the seller.

[quote name='funkymonkey406']they told me the one who sent the package had to do all the work and I could do nothing, not even file a claim[/quote]

Enough said.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']It's simple. As already stated above by somebody else, if you purchase an item from an online retailer like Amazon or Best Buy, you expect to receive it, correct? If you don't, do you think they'll tell you tough poop? No, it's THEIR responsibility to get the item to you, the buyer.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% that if a package sent by Amazon or Best Buy gets lost in the mail, they will either send a replacement or issue a refund. No question there. However, it is not their RESPONSIBILITY to do so - it is simply a courtesy. To them, it is a better business decision to foot the cost of replacing a lost item than it is to risk losing repeat business with the customer and having them share their negative experience with others. Retailers offer a number of other courtesies as well - allowing customers to return merchandise, to price match with other stores, etc. It is not their responsibility to do these things, but they do them as a courtesy to their customers.

If you don't want to accept responsibility as a buyer for a lost package, either purchase insurance or stick to sellers that offer to replace items lost in the mail. Just keep in mind that the seller is doing you a favor, so at least be a little grateful.

[quote name='video_gamer324']I agree with you 100% that if a package sent by Amazon or Best Buy gets lost in the mail, they will either send a replacement or issue a refund. No question there. However, it is not their RESPONSIBILITY to do so - it is simply a courtesy. To them, it is a better business decision to foot the cost of replacing a lost item than it is to risk losing repeat business with the customer and having them share their negative experience with others. Retailers offer a number of other courtesies as well - allowing customers to return merchandise, to price match with other stores, etc. It is not their responsibility to do these things, but they do them as a courtesy to their customers.

If you don't want to accept responsibility as a buyer for a lost package, either purchase insurance or stick to sellers that offer to replace items lost in the mail. Just keep in mind that the seller is doing you a favor, so at least be a little grateful.[/quote]

We can sit here and go back and forth about who is responsible, etc. etc. Surely you can agree that the seller is responsible for contacting the USPS and filing a claim for the buyer who didn't receive his merchandise. The seller is the one who holds all the paperwork and info that the USPS will be asking for.

BTW, just did a quick search on ebay and came up with this. Very similar to what we are discussing now, except it doesn't look like this guy bought insurance. If/when the buyer files a dispute against the seller for non-receipt of goods, Paypal will more than llikely side with the buyer.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000163729&tstart=1&mod=1231291820194

[quote name='SlammedNiss']We can sit here and go back and forth about who is responsible, etc. etc. Surely you can agree that the seller is responsible for contacting the USPS and filing a claim for the buyer who didn't receive his merchandise. The seller is the one who holds all the paperwork and info that the USPS will be asking for.

BTW, just did a quick search on ebay and came up with this. Very similar to what we are discussing now, except it doesn't look like this guy bought insurance. If/when the buyer files a dispute against the seller for non-receipt of goods, Paypal will more than llikely side with the buyer.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000163729&tstart=1&mod=1231291820194[/quote]

In the OP's situation, delivery has been confirmed through the USPS, unlike in that eBay thread. I can virtually guarantee you that the USPS is going to deny an insurance claim; the people who make such decisions aren't going to care one bit that a random employee suggested that it might have been misdelivered. All they're going to see is that records show it was delivered. There's also a pretty good chance that Paypal will side with the seller, as delivery confirmation shows the package was delivered. That's supposed to be their policy, anyway; they don't always adhere to it.

[quote name='elmyra'] There's also a pretty good chance that Paypal will side with the seller, as delivery confirmation shows the package was delivered. That's supposed to be their policy, anyway; they don't always adhere to it.[/quote]

That really depends if the buyer's address is confirmed by paypal. If not, and the seller sent the item, then there's almost a 100% chance that paypal will side with the buyer. I don't really know what paypal would say if the address is confirmed by paypal, and the buyer still says they didn't receive the item.

I guess the only thing to do is wait and see the outcome of this situation.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']We can sit here and go back and forth about who is responsible, etc. etc. Surely you can agree that the seller is responsible for contacting the USPS and filing a claim for the buyer who didn't receive his merchandise. The seller is the one who holds all the paperwork and info that the USPS will be asking for.[/quote]

Not necessarily. The buyer has access to all of the necessary forms and info except proof of mailing, which the seller has to provide anyway to defend against a Paypal claim. The USPS website gives instructions for both the sender and addressee to file a claim.

http://answercenter.ebay.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1000163729&tstart=1&mod=1231291820194

When it comes to legal matters, I prefer to see an actual law rather than what some anonymous eBay member has to say. I found this link, and here's what it says:

[quote name='Uniform Commercial Code, § 2-401 2a']if the contract requires or authorizes the seller to send the goods to the buyer but does not require the seller to deliver them at destination, title passes to the buyer at the time and place of shipment[/quote]

Therefore, once the shipping service gets their hands on the package, the seller is no longer responsible. Looks like I was right. :D

[quote name='SlammedNiss']That really depends if the buyer's address is confirmed by paypal. If not, and the seller sent the item, then there's almost a 100% chance that paypal will side with the buyer.[/quote]

You're absolutely right, and that's why I never ship to an unconfirmed address.

I don't really know what paypal would say if the address is confirmed by paypal, and the buyer still says they didn't receive the item.

The Seller Protection Policy says that a seller is covered if DC shows the package was delivered, and if the package was shipped within 7 days of payment.

I guess the only thing to do is wait and see the outcome of this situation.

Pretty much.

[quote name='video_gamer324']Therefore, once the shipping service gets their hands on the package, the seller is no longer responsible. Looks like I was right. :D[/quote]

Considering ebay and paypal are one in the same, I'd rely more on what a seasoned ebay user (who has more than likely experienced this situation himself) has to say than some lawbook. Besides, paypal obviously makes their own rules. I see complaints on here all the time where somebody gets screwed over by paypal. Wasn't there a guy here on CAG that sent a PS3 with Delivery Confirmation and still had a chargeback?

Even the USPS told funkymonkey406 that it was the seller's responsibility to file a claim.

[quote name='SlammedNiss']Wasn't there a guy here on CAG that sent a PS3 with Delivery Confirmation and still had a chargeback?[/quote]

That was a "significantly not as described" claim. The guy bought right at launch when PS3 prices were crazy and decided after prices dropped that he wanted some of his money back; when the seller said no, he filed a claim that it was damaged, since Paypal always sides with the buyer on those.

bread's done
Back