eBay Nonpayer: What to do?

CAG90210

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
Hi everybody,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I've recently sold an item on eBay for $40 plus shipping. I requested to have the money sent within three business days. The auction ended on Tuesday morning, and after it has ended, I sent an invoice to the buyer. I have yet to receive the payment as of now, and I've sent a couple of e-mails via eBay directly to the buyer to request for prompt payment so I can send the package out. I have yet to heard from him.

This is the first time I've encountered this problem, I understand that you can report a nonpayer to eBay, and that's what I'm planning to do if I still haven't receive the money by Saturday, but what can eBay do to enforce the payment? What I'm irked about is the $3.xx fees that eBay charged me for the final sale price, even though I have yet to receive money.

If the buyer turns out not going to pay, do I still have to pay the $3.xx sales fees?

Thanks for all your experienced inputs!

Sorry to hear about your non payment issue. As far as forcing the buyer to pay you, ebay cannot do that. What they will do is reverse your final sale price fee, just contact them and inform them that the buyer has not paid. Ebay will reverse the fee, and the buyer will get a non paying strike. Ebay has done away with allowing sellers to post bad feedback about buyers, so thats about all you can do. Good luck.

I always ask for payment within three days in auctions, but writing that doesn't really mean shit.

eBay lets them take up to what Gizmo said.

I had an item that was unpaid and then I filed a non-payment claim and the person paid hours before the claim expired. I think it was nearly two weeks after the auction ended when the payment finally came in.

[quote name='St4rgalaqtic']Sorry to hear about your non payment issue. As far as forcing the buyer to pay you, ebay cannot do that. What they will do is reverse your final sale price fee, just contact them and inform them that the buyer has not paid. Ebay will reverse the fee, and the buyer will get a non paying strike. Ebay has done away with allowing sellers to post bad feedback about buyers, so thats about all you can do. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

eBay should have allowed sellers to provide feedback to buyers that do not pay. it isn't fair and hurts sellers. it's frustrating. just make sure you open an unpaid case against the buyer. It takes 4 days (exactly 96 hours from sale end) to open the case. Another 96 hours from that point to close it. Unpaid strikes add up on the buyer and limits their buying future.

I think you're best bet is to remain patient, it seems like hounding the buyer or ebay isn't going to get you payment since the average payment time appears to be 7-10 days.

Ya... actually I enjoy it more when they dont pay lol just be patient if you have ebay resolution thing on they will just give you the final price, pentalize the buyer, and you get to keep the item

Its annoying, but as a seller you do have the power to file a claim like mentioned before. And you dont have to pay those fees asap either so I wouldnt worry too much about it yet.

I've had quite a few non-paying buyers lately. If the buyer is new, I think eBay now allows you to fine the claim in 4 days.

Actually, I haven't kept up with this stuff- eBay files the claims automatically so I don't bother following anything.

Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it! I turned on the unpaid item claim feature on ebay today and reported it, now we'll just see how it'll turn out.

On an unrelated note, i was thinking of selling a PSN card on ebay, but i've never done that before. I've read some horror stories from sellers where the buyer, after receiving the code, claimed the code has been used/doesn't work and gets refunded.

I've also read advices where the seller sends the code via ebay message and/or send the physical card along with delivery confirmation. (i also heard that ebay doesn't look too happy upon people who says these codes online?). Do you guys have any more advice?

[quote name='CAG90210']Thanks for the input guys! Appreciate it! I turned on the unpaid item claim feature on ebay today and reported it, now we'll just see how it'll turn out.

On an unrelated note, i was thinking of selling a PSN card on ebay, but i've never done that before. I've read some horror stories from sellers where the buyer, after receiving the code, claimed the code has been used/doesn't work and gets refunded.

I've also read advices where the seller sends the code via ebay message and/or send the physical card along with delivery confirmation. (i also heard that ebay doesn't look too happy upon people who says these codes online?). Do you guys have any more advice?[/QUOTE]

Mail the physical card with DC

I just had a buyer tell me if he bought the item he won his parents would take his credit card away. He said he had no money when I said check or money order. It was .99 for a football card.

I just had a non-paying bidder leave me a negative and ruin my 100% feedback, and when contacting eBay, nothing they will do about it. Just wonderful.

[quote name='sdragon']I just had a non-paying bidder leave me a negative and ruin my 100% feedback, and when contacting eBay, nothing they will do about it. Just wonderful.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear that. That's horrible. My case or rather, eBay's case against the non-payer is still open. =/

Had another non-payer today. Registered account tonight, placed several bids, and then when the auction ended, informed me that he can't pay and would like to retract bid. ARGH! I wish eBay would give us sellers the option to leave negative feedbacks like buyers can. ARGH ARGH ARGH.

Sorry, end rant.

What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't just charge the buyer. Ebay owns Paypal; if a buyer clicks the button to buy the item they have legally agreed to pay so there would be no reason the payment couldn't just automatically be sent.

[quote name='donkeydrop']What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't just charge the buyer. Ebay owns Paypal; if a buyer clicks the button to buy the item they have legally agreed to pay so there would be no reason the payment couldn't just automatically be sent.[/QUOTE]

Yeh I think ebay should charge a 15% non-refundable deposits. That will curve most of the NPB, but ebay like amazon is shit anyways.

[quote name='Bezerker']Be sure to post something on the guy's local craigslist for "young and curious".[/QUOTE]
I had a bad buyer, she paid over a week after the item shipped. The day after the money hit my Paypal, she filed a case with eBay for the "unreceived item". I sent her a few messages asking her why she did that when she paid late, why she was being so difficult, she got irate and I essentially called her a cunt. So I got negative feedback, but got to keep the item. I had her email address and physical address.

Using Papa John's and Domino's website, I had a pizza sent to her house every night for almost a week. After doing a quick Google search for "magazine subscriptions" I also subscribed her for every adult, gaming, housekeeping, gossip and sports magazine possible. Not just one year, two or if they offered, three years.

Couldn't leave her negative feedback on eBay though. Oh well.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I had a bad buyer, she paid over a week after the item shipped. The day after the money hit my Paypal, she filed a case with eBay for the "unreceived item". I sent her a few messages asking her why she did that when she paid late, why she was being so difficult, she got irate and I essentially called her a cunt. So I got negative feedback, but got to keep the item. I had her email address and physical address.

Using Papa John's and Domino's website, I had a pizza sent to her house every night for almost a week. After doing a quick Google search for "magazine subscriptions" I also subscribed her for every adult, gaming, housekeeping, gossip and sports magazine possible. Not just one year, two or if they offered, three years.

Couldn't leave her negative feedback on eBay though. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

lmao, i've always wanted to do something like that to cunts that act ridiculous like that on ebay/craigslist....but at the end of the day, it really isn't worth it i think. Doing stuff like that is EASY to track, and if the person has nothing better to do and/or really is that much of a cunt, they could pursue it and you could face criminal charges. Not saying it is likely to happen though. either way though, thanks for the laugh and doing something I only dream to do.

Best advice I can give, don't get worked up/care about non paying bidders. Yes they suck, and waste time, but unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about it. It is a problem that will continually plague ebay, and not being able to leave negative feedback is not the solutoin, as in my experience, most non paying bidders are relatively new accounts with very little to no feedback.

The best thing to do is to turn on ebays automatic non-paying bidder alert, which will automatically file the claim after not receiving the payment for 4 days. Antagonizing non-paying bidders, will likely give them a reason to leave you negative feedback. Yes, I get they are in the wrong for not paying, but at the end of the day, if they leave you negative feedback that doesnt violate ebays t/c's, then they won't remove it just because the buyer didn't pay.

Also going forward, I suggest buy it now listings. In my experience, they tend to go for more then most auctions, and the best part is, buy it now listings have slightly lower fees and you can require immediate payment on them (unfortunately, does not cover best offers though, but you can turn that off) so the listing won't even end, until the paypal payment is processed.

[quote name='jdb230']lmao, i've always wanted to do something like that to cunts that act ridiculous like that on ebay/craigslist....but at the end of the day, it really isn't worth it i think. Doing stuff like that is EASY to track, and if the person has nothing better to do and/or really is that much of a cunt, they could pursue it and you could face criminal charges. Not saying it is likely to happen though. either way though, thanks for the laugh and doing something I only dream to do.[/QUOTE]
If I were doing it from my IP address, I might be a tad worried. I have clients all over the country and can connect to their server network and go from their. This isn't my first rodeo.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I had a bad buyer, she paid over a week after the item shipped. The day after the money hit my Paypal, she filed a case with eBay for the "unreceived item". I sent her a few messages asking her why she did that when she paid late, why she was being so difficult, she got irate and I essentially called her a cunt. So I got negative feedback, but got to keep the item. I had her email address and physical address.

Couldn't leave her negative feedback on eBay though. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

This is hilarious, but wasn't the pizza expensive? haha

[quote name='Zaku77']This is hilarious, but wasn't the pizza expensive? haha[/QUOTE]Doesn't cost you anything to order pizza if you mark it that you'll pay the driver on delivery.

[quote name='donkeydrop']What I don't understand is why eBay doesn't just charge the buyer. Ebay owns Paypal; if a buyer clicks the button to buy the item they have legally agreed to pay so there would be no reason the payment couldn't just automatically be sent.[/QUOTE]

They cannot legally do that. eBay and PayPal both take fees from each auction on eBay. Although eBay owns PayPal they operate as two separate entities to avoid the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Basically they skirt around the law and as such can double dip on each transaction made on eBay. If eBay were to do what you said, although they are already breaking the law, they would open themselves up to prosecution.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Stoic, that is awesome. Now, where is the info on those people who never paid me.....[/QUOTE]
Just begin printing a label for their unpaid item, the address is there and Google has everything else you'll need.

I don't encourage fraud, but a deserving prank is not fraud. Whatever you do for chrissake, don't go to their house if they're local to you and demand payment at gunpoint.

[quote name='shrike4242']Doesn't cost you anything to order pizza if you mark it that you'll pay the driver on delivery.[/QUOTE]

hahahaha that is amazing! I didn't realize you could do that!

[quote name='GenPirate']They cannot legally do that. eBay and PayPal both take fees from each auction on eBay. Although eBay owns PayPal they operate as two separate entities to avoid the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. Basically they skirt around the law and as such can double dip on each transaction made on eBay. If eBay were to do what you said, although they are already breaking the law, they would open themselves up to prosecution.[/QUOTE]

That's hard to understand .. if I place an order from a third party on Amazon they can charge my credit card immediately.

Just got this....

Hi!
I just received the game in the mail and the bag was torn and crushed.I opened it and the case is broken and smashed..I know it was not insured,but it is a christmas present for my grandson and I do not want to take a chance that it will work and give it to him.I will open a case to try to get back my money and go ahead and buy another one on e-bay..Gary

I sent the item out in a padded envelope...What to do? Any advice? The buyer has thousands of feedbacks and 100% feedback...

What if he just send back an empty box with tracking?

Edit: Wow, eBay came through, and reimburse the buyer themselves, and not take any money for me. Good job eBay!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back