eBay/Paypal problem - URGENT *Update 10/12 #2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Queen Serenity

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Okay, so I sold this a few days ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220156128441&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=012

The seller contacted me after paying requesting that I send him the CD-Keys for the games. I agreed since I knew sometimes people just wished to upgrade their accounts immediately. I shipped out the package yesterday.

Fast foward to this morning. I wake up and see that an authorized transaction dispute has been opened against me. Paypal decide in favor of the buyer. and I am out of the money he paid.

Can I file mail fraud charges against him? Any other measures I can take against him?

Here are the CD-Keys which I had sold him. Feel free to use them in case he has not. CAUTION: I emailed Blizzard to ban these Keys in case he did use them. So if he has not used them use them at your own risk:

CD-Key 1
772886 - HC27 - GGTGTK - TX22 - 7VC9YR
-Taken

CD-Key 2
R6V797 - 7THF - VPEXTX - ZX67 - T9VVYW
- Taken

10/9 Update.

Just got a message from the buyer/scammer

"Hello, my name is James Nicholas. My account on ebay was recently hacked, along with my paypal and email address. Someone made a bunch of unauthorized purchases before i regained control of the accounts. I recieved whatever item this hacker bought today, and i am shipping it back to you today (at my expense). I apologize for this whole ordeal... it has been as difficult on me as anyone. I appreciate your understanding in this matter. My apologies again, and you should be recieving your package shortly. Thank You, James Nicholas. PS-when you recieve the package could you please leave me some positive feedback? I feel as though my ebay account will be ruined as a result of all of this. Thank you very much for any help you could give. -James Nicholas."

And here is my response,

"Hello,

You'll have to excuse me if I take this message with a grain of salt. If you are indeed not the one who scammed me, I will be happy to notify ebay to retract the negative feedback I left on your account. When you do send back my package(the two copies of World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Collector's Edition), please send me a tracking number. "

What do you guys think?

10/12 Update.

Paypal responded to my BBB claim. To make a long story short, they told me to go screw myself. I am not getting my money back.

10/12 Update #2

I just received the package with the items. I guess the guy's account really was hacked. However, the guy apparently also went through the games since one of the boxes is now torn at one of the corners. Anybody interested in buying the set that is not damaged?

Hmmm... You sold it as "sealed" right? You then opened it to provide the keycodes, yes? It's lame, but it he may have a case as he did receive it open.

But yea, he is still a cock sucker.

He messaged me through ebay's message system so they should have a record that he asked me to open them, correct?

If he signs for the package, should I contact paypal to tell them that he kept the package?

I assume you mean "unauthorized transaction" on part of the buyer's credit card. I had this happen to me, and paypal let the buyer keep the items and the money putting my pp account negative. A quick complaint to the BBB on my part and paypal refunded my money.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']I assume you mean "unauthorized transaction" on part of the buyer's credit card. I had this happen to me, and paypal let the buyer keep the items and the money putting my pp account negative. A quick complaint to the BBB on my part and paypal refunded my money.[/quote]

Yes, he used the unauthorized transaction claim. I'll keep that BBB complaint in mind.

You called up Paypal and told them that the buyer had received the item and they(Paypal) refused to return your money even with that information, correct?

No i didn't call paypal, they asked for tracking information for the claim. The tracking shows the package was delivered and they still sided with the buyer because I sent to an "unconfirmed address". They didn't even care that the buyer got to keep the items. Paypal's seller protection policy is virtually impossible to meet and even if you do they can still deny you so they don't lose money.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']No i didn't call paypal, they asked for tracking information for the claim. The tracking shows the package was delivered and they still sided with the buyer because I sent to an "unconfirmed address". They didn't even care that the buyer got to keep the items. Paypal's seller protection policy is virtually impossible to meet and even if you do they can still deny you so they don't lose money.[/quote]

So should I go ahead and do the BBB complaint now or wait until the buyer receives the items?

Here is what I have written for the BBB complaint. Tell me if there is anything I should Add.

On Friday, October 5, 2007, I sold two items(Auction # 220156128441) to an indiviual(dentman2001 aka James Nicholas) on eBay. The individual paid through Paypal. After the individual had sent payment, he requested I send him the Serial Numbers/CD-Keys for the program I sold him. I complied and sent them immediately. The following day, Saturday, October 6, 2007, I shipped out the package containing what the individual had purchased. I shipped the package to the address that was provided by Paypal.

At approximately 23:23:27 - 0700 / 11:23 P.M. EST on October 6, 2007, I received an email from Paypal stating that my account funds had been frozen due to a potential unauthorized from the buyers account. At 23:24:37 / 11:24 P.M. I received another email from Paypal stating that a claim from the buyer was now open and that I had seven days to provide information, such as a tracking number, to help them in investigating the claim. At 3:39:05 / 3:39 A.M. on Sunday, October 7, 2007, I received another email from Paypal thanking me for providing the necessary information even though I was sleeping during their entire investigation process and had not been able to provide them with any information. At 3:39:19 / 3:39 A.M., I received one final email from Paypal stating that their investigation was complete and to log into my account to view the results.

When I logged into my account, the case had been decided in favor of the buyer for the entire amount of his payment ($139.32). This left my account in a negative balance at -139.32.

According to the buyers feedback profile, which shows items he has previously purchased, he has bought many time cards for the game/program I sold him. This would make it unlikely that the items he bought from me were part of an “unauthorized transaction”

I was not given a chance by Paypal to provide information that would have helped them.

Relevant Information:
My Paypal Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Buyer's Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Paypal Case Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Tracking number of package(USPS): XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

What exactly is being called an unauthorized transaction here? The fact that you provided him the CD key before he received the item?

Also, email Blizzard and tell them about your situation and say that the CD key was stolen (since he got the money back). Maybe they can ban that account number.:whistle2:k

[quote name='Vinny']What exactly is he calling an unauthorized transaction? The fact that you provided him the CD key before he received the item?

Also, email Blizzard and tell them about your situation and say that the CD key was stolen (since he got the money back). Maybe they can ban that account number.:whistle2:k[/quote]

According to paypal, he is calling the whole transaction unauthorized. He has not responded to any of my attempts to contact him.

An unauthorized transaction can be either the buyer lying in order to defraud you, or the credit card used was actually stolen and used by someone else to purchase your items. Paypal is obviously at fault here as they didn't even TRY to support the seller. After I filed with the BBB it took paypal about 2-3 days to refund me. Now that's quick, almost any other contact email I've sent to paypal has taken well over a week for them to respond to, if at all....

BBB complaint looks good btw, I'd also include in there what an acceptable course of action would be to satisfy you.

I wish I could personally go around and kick every single buyer who pulls bullshit like this right in the balls.

I learned the hard way through PayPal "buyer protection"...never send to an unconfirmed address, even with signature confirmation.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']An unauthorized transaction can be either the buyer lying in order to defraud you, or the credit card used was actually stolen and used by someone else to purchase your items. Paypal is obviously at fault here as they didn't even TRY to support the seller. After I filed with the BBB it took paypal about 2-3 days to refund me. Now that's quick, almost any other contact email I've sent to paypal has taken well over a week for them to respond to, if at all....

BBB complaint looks good btw, I'd also include in there what an acceptable course of action would be to satisfy you.[/quote]

Thanks you for that infromation. I did include what course of action would satisfy me. Its just that it was in a different portion of the complaint form.

I sent the report yesterday. It is still being in the "case received by BBB" stage.

I filed it under Billing / Collections category since it seemed to be the most appropiate of the categories available. Hopefully that is the right one.

[quote name='magiic']I wish I could personally go around and kick every single buyer who pulls bullshit like this right in the balls.[/quote]

Magiic, I still remember your ebayed PS3 thread. Whatever happened to the collections that they threatened you with?

Just got a message from the buyer/scammer

"Hello, my name is James Nicholas. My account on ebay was recently hacked, along with my paypal and email address. Someone made a bunch of unauthorized purchases before i regained control of the accounts. I recieved whatever item this hacker bought today, and i am shipping it back to you today (at my expense). I apologize for this whole ordeal... it has been as difficult on me as anyone. I appreciate your understanding in this matter. My apologies again, and you should be recieving your package shortly. Thank You, James Nicholas. PS-when you recieve the package could you please leave me some positive feedback? I feel as though my ebay account will be ruined as a result of all of this. Thank you very much for any help you could give. -James Nicholas."

And here is my response,

"Hello,

You'll have to excuse me if I take this message with a grain of salt. If you are indeed not the one who scammed me, I will be happy to notify ebay to retract the negative feedback I left on your account. When you do send back my package(the two copies of World Of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Collector's Edition), please send me a tracking number. "

What do you guys think?

I call BS. I don't believe someone took the time to hack multiple accounts and didnt bother changing his paypal address.....

Besides didn't you already send him the CD keys meaning he has those for free now?

[quote name='Brian9824']I call BS. I don't believe someone took the time to hack multiple accounts and didnt bother changing his paypal address.....

Besides didn't you already send him the CD keys meaning he has those for free now?[/quote]

Yes, I had already sent him the CD-Keys when he did the chargeback. He did not get to use them though. A CAG and someone from the GameFAQs' WoW forum took the keys and used them when I posted them in my post.

Had you not sent those CD keys you would have been able to get out of this completely, assuming that he actually returns the item.

Unfortunately you did make an unwise decision to break the seal on your item and send the key. Paypal offers absolutely no seller protection on "virtual goods" like CD keys.

You said that the CD keys weren't used... that someone here or on another site ended up using them. But what I don't understand is if they were trying to scam you for the keys they would have used them as soon as they received the email.

It just doesn't all add up.

[quote name='daminion']Had you not sent those CD keys you would have been able to get out of this completely, assuming that he actually returns the item.

Unfortunately you did make an unwise decision to break the seal on your item and send the key. Paypal offers absolutely no seller protection on "virtual goods" like CD keys.

You said that the CD keys weren't used... that someone here or on another site ended up using them. But what I don't understand is if they were trying to scam you for the keys they would have used them as soon as they received the email.

It just doesn't all add up.[/quote]

Yeah, I know I made a dumb decision by opening up the item and sending him the keys.:wall: I called Paypal today since the tracking number shows as being delivered and signed by J. Nicholas. They didn't care.

I also had thought he would have used the CD-Keys by the time I posted them here. My guess is that he was waiting for the discs so that he could install them then use the key.

10/12 Update #2

I just received the package with the items. I guess the guy's account really was hacked. However, the guy apparently also went through the games since one of the boxes is now torn at one of the corners. Anybody interested in buying the set that is not damaged?

So, what happened with the money? Are the codes being used?

It seems kinda funny, I'm guessing he asked you for the codes through his email? So if they are in use, then only he would know them unless his email also got hijacked.

I'd question him about why the package was damaged.

Lesson Learned. When you send the item, don't send the CD-KEY in mail. He/she is already getting it anyway. No need to make the process faster or try and make it easier for the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back