eBay Problem - Can the seller do this?

nekobi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
I recently bought something on eBay, paid for it, and about a week later (today) I get an email from Paypal saying that the seller refunded my payment. There was a note in the refund stating pretty much that I 'took to long to pay without warning, am no longer registered on eBay, and that they are no longer able to comeplete the transaction'. I admit I didn't pay right away because I got sick that week so it took me 5 days to get the paypal payment sent, usually that has been fine with any sellers I have come across before (as well as myself as a seller on my other account). The part about me no longer being registered is false, i'm still registered and still have 100% feedback so that was an all out lie.

The seller has 100% feedback in the hundreds so I would have thought I would have no problems. My guess is that he didn't want to sell it for the amount it went for (which was on the low side for the item). It really pisses me off because it's something I had really wanted for a long time and was really excited about getting. :bomb:

So my question is- Is there anything I can do about this or am I fucked? :whistle2:#

~ a very sad nekobi

I think sellers are supposed to wait 7 days for payment, so it does sound like he jumped the gun a little. I'm not sure what you can really do about it though. If he tries to file an unpaid item claim, dispute it. He shouldn't be refunded his listing fees and you shouldn't have to take the unpaid item strike, if he didn't give you an adequate chance to pay according to eBay's guidelines.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I think sellers are supposed to wait 7 days for payment, so it does sound like he jumped the gun a little. I'm not sure what you can really do about it though. If he tries to file an unpaid item claim, dispute it. He shouldn't be refunded his listing fees and you shouldn't have to take the unpaid item strike, if he didn't give you an adequate chance to pay according to eBay's guidelines.[/quote]

But that's just it, I did pay. He never sent a reminder or an unpaid item dispute. I paid and about a week later (today) he refunded me and said he wasn't going to complete the transaction. The problem is him refusing to sell me the item I won. The guy has over 700 feedback too with 100% positive. =\

[quote name='62t']well he wont have 100% after you give him a negative[/quote]

Very true. :mad:

I did send him an eBay message asking nicely why I was refunded and that I still want to purchase the item. We'll see where that goes..

[quote name='nekobi']But that's just it, I did pay. He never sent a reminder or an unpaid item dispute.[/quote]I mean if he tries to file it later, claiming that you didn't pay on time.

ive known lots of sellers on ebay to have multiple listings on ebay, as well as listing their items on other sites. Happened to me one time where i bought a game for cheap, 99cents, and a week later, the seller refunded me. a few days later i looked at his profile and his latest feedback was for the same item i bid on, but another person and it went for $2.50

sounds to me like he just wasnt happy with the price, but thats the ebay game. I honestly dont know if you can debate it, since he DID REFUND you... buyer is committed to buy.... but is seller committed to sell? I know theres several ways you can end an auction early, but i dont know about canceling it after the auction ends.... plus, like i said, the fact he gave you the money back really puts you in a bad spot to try to get the item.

probably the only thing you can do now is leave a negative feedback and move on

ive seen almost identical situations except the seller told the buyer they lost the item and then later sold the exact item....so i dont know ive never seen anything else come of it though. I dont think theres much you can do.
Sorry

[quote name='DAWG26']Waiting a week to pay up is way too long. I say you were in the wrong.[/QUOTE]

Agree, nowhere did you mention you emailed the seller explaining you were on your deathbed. Just because they didn't send you email after emailing asking where is payment doesn't mean the person isn't getting more and more pissed off. I would just let this one go.

[quote name='DAWG26']Waiting a week to pay up is way too long. I say you were in the wrong.[/quote]

This.
If you don't have the funds, don't bid. It takes 3 days to do a bank transfer. Any longer than that, and I too would choose to refund you and resell.

When I list stuff I have Immediate payment required on Buy it now. That way I don't have to worry about when the buyer is going to pay.

[quote name='DAWG26']Waiting a week to pay up is way too long. I say you were in the wrong.[/quote]
I agree 100% and I usually side with the buyer.

give him a negative once he confirms that he wont sell to you. and then pray you can find the item at a similar price soon. With ebays new feedback as a buyer you wont have to worry about getting a negative on your end.

[quote name='dragonjud']This.
If you don't have the funds, don't bid. It takes 3 days to do a bank transfer. Any longer than that, and I too would choose to refund you and resell.[/quote]

Eh, it wasn't even a week, it was 5 days. It's not like I didn't have the money, far from it, I just forgot that I still hadn't paid for it. It was an honest mistake, not like I was trying to cheat the guy out of money or something.

I used to be a seller on eBay for a couple years and it was always around 50/50 of people who would pay right away and those who would pay later. It never bothered me unless it was a very long time with no communication or it was a really expensive auction. I dunno, I guess it differs from person to person and what you are selling also. It's not like it would have hurt him to send me a little reminder or something. I personally think he just wanted an excuse not to sell me the item for the price I won it. :p Ah well, it sucks but I guess there's nothing that can be done. =\

This actually happened to me one when I was purchasing a CIB Legend of Zelda. I got it for a steal, and paid for it immediately. A couple days later, the seller refunded my purchase because they said the game had received some water damage. It seemed fishy, so I kept watch of their auctions, and a week later, they posted the exact same game with same description. I messaged the seller and asked "WTF?". They pulled the auction and sold it to me for my original purchase price..

EDIT:

BTW, I guess I'm one of the few that side with the buyer on this one, provided he is telling the complete truth. Unless the seller requests immediate payment, then the buyer has done nothing wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nekobi']I recently bought something on eBay, paid for it, and about a week later (today) I get an email from Paypal saying that the seller refunded my payment. There was a note in the refund stating pretty much that I 'took to long to pay without warning, am no longer registered on eBay, and that they are no longer able to comeplete the transaction'. I admit I didn't pay right away because I got sick that week so it took me 5 days to get the paypal payment sent, usually that has been fine with any sellers I have come across before (as well as myself as a seller on my other account). The part about me no longer being registered is false, i'm still registered and still have 100% feedback so that was an all out lie.

The seller has 100% feedback in the hundreds so I would have thought I would have no problems. My guess is that he didn't want to sell it for the amount it went for (which was on the low side for the item). It really pisses me off because it's something I had really wanted for a long time and was really excited about getting. :bomb:

So my question is- Is there anything I can do about this or am I fucked? :whistle2:#

~ a very sad nekobi[/QUOTE]

Are you the guy who bought Grand Theft Auto IV from me? No joke, I'm not kidding. I refunded a guy's money back because they took me 14 days to pay me even though my auction clearly states that I require payment within 2 days. I also gave him a strike.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']Are you the guy who bought Grand Theft Auto IV from me? No joke, I'm not kidding. I refunded a guy's money back because they took me 14 days to pay me even though my auction clearly states that I require payment within 2 days. I also gave him a strike.[/quote]

Nope. This was an auction for a 360 Blue Dragon faceplate and figures.
And I'm a girl btw. ^^;

[quote name='nekobi']Eh, it wasn't even a week, it was 5 days. It's not like I didn't have the money, far from it, I just forgot that I still hadn't paid for it. It was an honest mistake, not like I was trying to cheat the guy out of money or something.

I used to be a seller on eBay for a couple years and it was always around 50/50 of people who would pay right away and those who would pay later. It never bothered me unless it was a very long time with no communication or it was a really expensive auction. I dunno, I guess it differs from person to person and what you are selling also. It's not like it would have hurt him to send me a little reminder or something. I personally think he just wanted an excuse not to sell me the item for the price I won it. :p Ah well, it sucks but I guess there's nothing that can be done. =\[/quote]

Unless you don't have the funds (in which you shouldn't be bidding in the first place), what is so hard about paying directly after you win the item? I mean, obviously, if you want the item bad enough, you will be watching the auction to see if you win - or at least know when you're notified via email or whatever means of communication you have with eBay.

I've been ebaying since 2000 and I've been on both sides of the street here. Before PayPal I was forced to deal with Money Orders, and those took FOREVER, especially since they came through the mail - and it depends how speedy the buyer wants to be.

In any case, I don't think you should be boohooing about it here. The way the rules are set up, the seller has the right to do what they please, pretty much. I wouldn't leave them a negative unless they give you an idiotic reason for the refund. At least be happy they were courteous enough to give you your money back. Also remember that if you leave a negative for them, you will most likely get one back, tarnishing your own account.

While I agree that waiting for payment can be frustrating, doesn't ebay state to give the buyer 7 days to pay? I'd say nekobi's in the right. I usually get buyers who either pay immediately or wait 5 - 7 days.

if i ever have to wait 5 days for a payment i dont think the buyer is going to pay.

he refunded your money so just buy it from someone else. not a big deal.

I think it was wrong for you to wait 5 days to pay without contacting him. However, if I was the seller I would have made an attempt to contact you asking if you intend to pay.

[quote name='distgfx']While I agree that waiting for payment can be frustrating, doesn't ebay state to give the buyer 7 days to pay? I'd say nekobi's in the right. I usually get buyers who either pay immediately or wait 5 - 7 days.[/QUOTE]

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/pay-on-ebay.html

When to pay

All sellers appreciate quick payment, so we encourage buyers to pay for an item as soon as they win an auction or buy a Fixed Price item. Some sellers include information on when they expect to be paid in their listings. If sellers haven’t received payment 7 days after a listing ends, they have the option of opening a case in our Resolution Center. This creates a dialogue between sellers and buyers and helps them resolve unpaid item cases. If you have questions about a payment, contact your seller.

Seven days before a case can be opened against the buyer, but it really doesn't say anything about refunding before then should the seller choose. Thems the breaks

[quote name='HydroX']I wouldn't leave them a negative unless they give you an idiotic reason for the refund. At least be happy they were courteous enough to give you your money back. Also remember that if you leave a negative for them, you will most likely get one back, tarnishing your own account.[/quote]

Sellers can't leave negative anymore.

Don't give a negative. I mean, honestly, you are out nothing. What feedback would you give a seller who tries to scam you by sending you an empty box? You really think this seller deserves the same mark on his rating as someone who tries to take your money and run? What you are dealing with now is trivial. Only in the most extreme situations should you leave anything but positive. They are clearly an honest seller, there is no reason to destroy their reputation. Just don't leave any feedback at all and move on.

Got an email from the seller just now. Turns out it was all a misunderstanding as he apparently got me and another buyer mixed up. I resent him the payment and he assured me it would ship out tomorrow. So, yay! :D :D

[quote name='nekobi']Got an email from the seller just now. Turns out it was all a misunderstanding as he apparently got me and another buyer mixed up. I resent him the payment and he assured me it would ship out tomorrow. So, yay! :D :D[/quote]
Congrats! Glad to see it all worked out for you.

[quote name='coolsteel']Seven days before a case can be opened against the buyer, but it really doesn't say anything about refunding before then should the seller choose. Thems the breaks[/quote]

Hmm... well how about that, I always thought you had to wait 7 days to receive payment. :whistle2:k

[quote name='nekobi']Got an email from the seller just now. Turns out it was all a misunderstanding as he apparently got me and another buyer mixed up. I resent him the payment and he assured me it would ship out tomorrow. So, yay! :D :D[/quote]

Congrats! It did seem a little weird for him to act that way.

[quote name='nekobi']I just forgot that I still hadn't paid for it.[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't be on ebay.

bread's done
Back