eBay Question - Annoying Buyer - UPDATE: eBay removed the negative YAY!!

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I sold something on eBay and the buyer emailed me and asked if I could lower the shipping price. The item went for $2.30 and shipping was listed as $7.95 (it is a medium sized box which I may or may not have to pack inside of a larger box for protection). I listed a bunch of similar junk and admittedly I thought the box was larger (the other similar items were all in much larger boxes) which is why shipping was a bit high but don't people know not to bid on something if they don't intend to pay the listed shipping price? I'm afraid if I respond with an invoice for the agreed upon amount that I will get a negative feedback. Shipping materials, shipping costs plus delivery confirmation plus my time all add up. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically what the guy above said. People like complain about shipping after the fact, but they knew what this was so they have to deal with it. Sometimes I ask if a shipped combines shipping on multiple items because I think that is fair, but otherwise I just pay what shipping states.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Just tell them what you've posted here. It is what it is. He agreed to pay it, so he needs to pay it. That's eBay's policy.

What's the item?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. HERE is the item... and yes, I'm selling the kids' Christmas gifts. :twisted:

I'm just afraid of pissing off the buyer over a dollar or two (and getting negative feedback).

If they leave you negative feedback you can dispute it with ebay, which I'm sure they'll side with you and remove it.

They won the auction knowing how much shipping was, so they cant ask/demand that you lower the shipping cost.

tell him to pay up. he entered a binding contract, if you will...to pay for that amount, when he placed his bid.

i pretty much had a similar incident, the guy paid, and then complained about the cost of shipping, i told him well take into account the cost of the packaging, handling, having to drive to deliver it to the post office. and i kindly said "if you weren't satisfied with the cost, you should have considered that, before you bid." and i didn't hear a peep out of him since.

I wouldn't adjust the shipping costs for a person asking questions after they won the auction. Buyers are capable of asking as many questions as they want before the auction ends. If they wanted an explanation of the shipping charges they should have done so before bidding on the item.

Keep your reply pleasant in tone and give the reasons you listed for the shipping charges. You have options after the fact if the buyer chooses topost negative feedback.

And if someone can't add the bid price and the shipping cost together for a total price they should not be on EBay or any other auction site. If they want to haggle go to Craigslist.

OK, I'm sending this message with the invoice:

Regarding your question about shipping - the materials plus shipping costs plus delivery confirmation plus my time and effort all add up. You should have considered the cost of shipping before placing your bid.

Thank you.

[quote name='JoeJohn']I would give her/him a discount. A good deed is rewarded many times over.[/QUOTE]

The buyer is already getting it for $10+ cheaper than he would elsewhere (with shipping cost included) and elsewhere you need to pay additional shipping for it.. lol

I wouldn't lower anything. If he wanted to inquire about a cheaper shipping price then he should have before he made a bid.

You should negotiate something with the buyer, or tell him to shut up and pay (but run the risk of neutral or negative feedback.)
You should put reasonable shipping prices next time.

I sent the invoice several hours ago but no response yet. Good point about the great deal the buyer is getting regardless.

Selling on Ebay is risky business. No one want to pay market price for the item unless its really rare. Most sellers sell at a lost. The only way to combat this is to raise the limit price or start at a higher price. Another problem arises, that is there are a lack or bidders. Offering free shipping helps, but you start at huge lost.

OP, you did the right thing. When the guy won the item, he entered into a legally binding contract to pay the item cost plus the shipping fee you stipulated.

OK, I sent the buyer a SECOND invoice today and got this message back as a response:

Hello, sorry I can't complete this transaction but I never heard back from you about your shipping and I found this item locally so please relist and let eBay know we decided not to complete this sale and you can get your seller fee returned with out having to cause any problems. Thank you.

This is bullshit as far as I'm concerned. What do I do?

EBay help will probably give you better guidance than posting this question on CAG.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html#work

It looks as though all you can do is get your money back for the listing, stick him or her with an unpaid item on their account, and potentiall offer the item to the second highest bidder.

In addition to the higher fees, the seller "experience" is one reason that people are using alternatives to EBay at a growing rate.

[quote name='joserjerr']EBay help will probably give you better guidance than posting this question on CAG.

It looks as though all you can do is get your money back for the listing, stick him or her with an unpaid item on their account, and potentiall offer the item to the second highest bidder.

In addition to the higher fees, the seller "experience" is one reason that people are using alternatives to EBay at a growing rate.[/QUOTE]

except there is no good alternative to ebay

[quote name='joserjerr']EBay help will probably give you better guidance than posting this question on CAG.

In addition to the higher fees, the seller "experience" is one reason that people are using alternatives to EBay at a growing rate.[/QUOTE]
This. Be sure to stick it to them. Atleast an Unpaid Item Strike. If you have their address, you can show up to their house and demand the money too.

So if I go to the Resolution Center and choose "I haven't received my payment yet" it looks like the Buyer will get a notification and then have 4 days to pay. If he does pay in this time frame and the transaction is completed can he still give me a negative for some BS reason? If he doesn't pay then he gets the Unpaid Item Strike?

I'm at 137 feedback and amazingly this hasn't happened to me before...

[quote name='javeryh']So if I go to the Resolution Center and choose "I haven't received my payment yet" it looks like the Buyer will get a notification and then have 4 days to pay. If he does pay in this time frame and the transaction is completed can he still give me a negative for some BS reason? If he doesn't pay then he gets the Unpaid Item Strike?

I'm at 137 feedback and amazingly this hasn't happened to me before...[/QUOTE]

I've had a few where people took forever to pay and kept claiming they would and never did. So I started making it buy it now instead, and where they have to sign in paypal and pay before the item ends. After I did this. I had one person pay and say they changed there mind they didn't want it. I wanted to say fuck off jackass,but instead I was nice. I let it go, and sold it again. I don't see why your buyer is bitching at all op. They got a good deal from you based on other prices. I don't understand people on it. If they aren't going to pay or change there mind or say they found it cheaper. What's the point of them buying it in the first place? So fucking stupid.

[quote name='javeryh']So if I go to the Resolution Center and choose "I haven't received my payment yet" it looks like the Buyer will get a notification and then have 4 days to pay. If he does pay in this time frame and the transaction is completed can he still give me a negative for some BS reason? If he doesn't pay then he gets the Unpaid Item Strike?

I'm at 137 feedback and amazingly this hasn't happened to me before...[/QUOTE]

If he doesn't pay, he'll get an unpaid item strike. If he does pay in that time frame, he can leave a negative.

If he leaves bad feedback then call up ebay and ask them to remove it. He can't leave you bad feedback for asking him to.. gasp.. PAY for an item he bought.

[quote name='Jack']If he doesn't pay, he'll get an unpaid item strike. If he does pay in that time frame, he can leave a negative.[/QUOTE]

This is what I thought. Just as it is worth a few dollars to me to keep my perfect feedback rating intact it might be worth it to him to pay for the item to not get an unpaid item strike. It's the principle of the thing that annoys me the most. If I cancel the transaction I let him get away with it!

I think I'm going to give him an unpaid item strike. I've already spent way to much of my time thinking about this and I'm annoyed.... and drunk.

Stick it to him! What an ass trying to haggle when he gets a great deal and even AFTER the auction closes, then fucking refuses to pay.

Will ebay refund the listing costs? I thought they only refunded final value fees. What about offering it as a 2nd chance offer to the next bidder? That way you're not having to wait another week for a new auction to end.

I did some reading and it looks like they WILL refund my final value fee but NOT the listing fee if I CANCEL. If I do the unpaid item claim I get everything refunded (I get to list the item again for free). So eff that, I'm not eating the listing fee even if it was only $0.10 - this guy can suck it.

[quote name='javeryh']I did some reading and it looks like they WILL refund my final value fee but NOT the listing fee if I CANCEL. If I do the unpaid item claim I get everything refunded (I get to list the item again for free). So eff that, I'm not eating the listing fee even if it was only $0.10 - this guy can suck it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, NPB his ass!

I got this message back after I filed the NPB.

I clearly sent you a message about no longer purchasing this item, why are you not responding to my messages? I will be leaving negative feedback about this transaction now so I hope you are happy. And, I am still not buying it.

Is this person mentally ill? If they don't pay they obviously can't leave me a negative feedback and if they do pay and leave me a negative I'm pretty sure I can get eBay to remove it - all of these messages are being sent through eBay so they have a record of what is going on.

[quote name='javeryh']Is this person mentally ill? If they don't pay they obviously can't leave me a negative feedback and if they do pay and leave me a negative I'm pretty sure I can get eBay to remove it - all of these messages are being sent through eBay so they have a record of what is going on.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure if you file a NPB, the transaction is canceled, and neither party can leave feedback.

[quote name='saturnotaku']I'm pretty sure if you file a NPB, the transaction is canceled, and neither party can leave feedback.[/QUOTE]

I think that's right but this person does have 4 days to complete the transaction (which it doesn't sound like she intends to do). If she decides to pay then I think her right to leave feedback will be restored - but if I ship immediately and take a lot of pictures then eBay should remove the negative - all of these messages from her are sent through eBay (so they have a record) and I'm pretty sure threatening a negative is against the TOS. I was going to respond with something like:

Hi. The rules of eBay clearly state that if you bid on an item and win you must complete the transaction. If you did not intend on paying for the item you should not have placed the bid in the first place. If you thought shipping was too high you should not have placed the bid in the first place. Canceling and relisting the item is an inconvenience to me.
but I decided to just ignore her and hope the 4 days pass. I don't want to deal with this person but I don't want to cancel and let her get away with this either. eBay is enough of a pain without jackasses like this running around. Worst case scenario is that I get a negative (which I do not deserve) but it would only be my first and I'd still be over 99%.

ebay offers zero seller protection btw.
Any buyer can easily get their money back even if you sent them the item.
Ebay can remove negative feedback for seller.
Thanks ebay!

ebay dont give a rats ass about the buyer or seller... i sold something a few years back... I got an email 5 days later saying they got the item and love it.. 2 weeks later i get feedback saying

NEG feedback never got the item

i emailed them asking what was up.. they said their kid did it for fun...

ebay refused to take the neg feedback off

[quote name='slidecage']ebay dont give a rats ass about the buyer or seller... i sold something a few years back... I got an email 5 days later saying they got the item and love it.. 2 weeks later i get feedback saying

ebay refused to take the neg feedback off[/QUOTE]

Reason why I always include Delivery Confirmation. A little extra helps ensure the process. Online dealing is indeed very troublesome sometime >.

[quote name='slidecage']ebay dont give a rats ass about the buyer or seller... i sold something a few years back... I got an email 5 days later saying they got the item and love it.. 2 weeks later i get feedback saying

ebay refused to take the neg feedback off[/QUOTE]
lol!
unless theyre big sellers on ebay they wont appreciate perfect 100% feedback. and i heard anything other than 5 stars will make ebay raise seller costs???

guess it sucks to be you:bs:

[quote name='javeryh']Two days have passed and no resolution! I'm hoping that the 4 day period ends and I can re-list the item...[/QUOTE]

Good luck, dude!

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if she leaves you a negative for forcing her to pay, eBay will likely not remove the feedback. I had an auction where the winner tried to back out. He eventually paid and I delivered the item, but then he left me a negative that said, "made me pay for an unwanted item." When I complained to eBay, the CS rep told me that there was nothing they could do because the feedback didn't break any of their rules (profanity, threats, etc.).

So basically, if you end up getting a negative, just hope that she swears like a sailor. :whistle2:D

[quote name='BigHow']Good luck, dude!

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if she leaves you a negative for forcing her to pay, eBay will likely not remove the feedback. I had an auction where the winner tried to back out. He eventually paid and I delivered the item, but then he left me a negative that said, "made me pay for an unwanted item." When I complained to eBay, the CS rep told me that there was nothing they could do because the feedback didn't break any of their rules (profanity, threats, etc.).

So basically, if you end up getting a negative, just hope that she swears like a sailor. :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Really? Even though she sent those emails threatening the negative for being forced to pay? That would be highly disappointing since I'm definitely in the right here.

hope for the best, GL to you, maybe try amazon marketplace in the future.

and yeah it sounds like they arent paying so you are probably fine.

OK, I closed the case and the buyer left me a negative. How is this even possible? I thought that if the buyer doesn't pay he cannot leave feedback. WTF? I've been selling on eBay for 5+ years with 100% rating and now this. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with eBay to protest/remove the feedback? This was the feedback left:
Very unhappy w/seller trying to rip me off on shipping. 8$ to ship 2$ item? BAD

Doesn't this violate some sort of eBay policy? The buyer bid and won the item, emailed me AFTER the auction ended and asked me to lower shipping, then emailed me saying they were not paying for it BECAUSE of the shipping, then mentioned this IN the feedback they left. This seems unbelievable unfair.

Thanks.

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I closed the case and the buyer left me a negative. How is this even possible? I thought that if the buyer doesn't pay he cannot leave feedback. WTF? I've been selling on eBay for 5+ years with 100% rating and now this. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with eBay to protest/remove the feedback? This was the feedback left:

Doesn't this violate some sort of eBay policy? The buyer bid and won the item, emailed me AFTER the auction ended and asked me to lower shipping, then emailed me saying they were not paying for it BECAUSE of the shipping, then mentioned this IN the feedback they left. This seems unbelievable unfair.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

What the hell were you doing?

If someone doesn't pay, file a non-pay dispute and let it go the course.

Person messaged me, claimed they couldn't pay until Feb 14th, I said sorry, can't do that. Filed the dispute as soon as I could, received money within 2 days.

You should have sucked it up and shipped it to him if you were really that concerned about the feedback as everyone should know eBay favors the buyers.

I did file a non-pay dispute and let it go the course (4 days). I tried closing it after the time period eBay allowed me to do so and got hit with the negative. Obviously I'm not going to ship something that was not paid for but it is complete bullshit that someone can win an auction, decide that they don't want the item and then leave the seller a negative.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Be sure to leave them negative feedback as well. Insult their grandmother as well.[/QUOTE]

Sellers are not allowed to leave feedback for buyers so basically this douchebag is getting away with this behavior.

bread's done
Back