eBay scam question

slimpip

CAGiversary!
I won an akai mpd16 from a seller and sent the payment on Sunday for it (~$77). Today I receive this email through ebay:

It seems there is a problem with paypal and the payment that you made to me recently. Obviously, Paypal is not smart enough to link payments to one account if the seller changes email addresses. That's exactly what happened. I changed email addresses recently (from email removed to email removed), so 1st make sure your payment hasn't cleared. If it hasn't, please cancel the first one and submit a new payment to email removed. Sorry for the delay. I had no clue this even happened until today. I thought your payment was a pending e-check until I actually looked at the ebay payment details. I have paypal working on the problem. If they fix it before you do anything, I'll send an email telling you that your payment was recieved.

Thanks

The seller has 155 feedback all 100%, and I was able to cancel the payment. I won't be sending the other payment, but has anyone else encountered this?

For starters i'd look at his history. is that feedback only from items he bought or items he sold? If he's sold items are they similar items or cheap $1-2 things?

Does he have alot of auctions being sold with high priced electronics?

Well, he re-listed the item with the updated paypal info. False alarm, I guess. Thanks for the replies.

I was going to say, I've had to do this myself a couple of times and I'm a Powerseller...so things do happen. Sometimes eBay's auto-list features are wonky when you have several accounts. It's really good though that you looked into it and didn't just blindly send your money, even though it was legit :) A lot of people aren't that smart.

Yeah, sounds like a legit problem. I've run into 2 sellers that had this problem. I had them log in to their original account and refund the money and then I sent it to the new account. Didn't know you could cancel the payment as a buyer though. Good to know though.

bread's done
Back