eBay. Seller doesn't want to cancel.

postaboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
I am in a situation where a seller on eBay does not want to cancel my order and ask me to pay ASAP or else. What happen to my eBay account if I don't pay? I always pay for my stuffs but this time I made a mistake.

I sell stuffs on eBay too and I do get buyers who asked me cancel their order and I always do, doesn't really bother me at all, but this seller does not want to cancel my order. I have already sent him a couple messages with an apology asking to cancel.

Story:

I was trying to buy a used shirt on eBay for less than $20 shipped. I saw one on eBay which was about to end in a couple minutes or so and it current bids was at $5. I waited till like 15 secs left and posted a $11.00 bid, but I was not the highest bidder. I quickly posted another $13.00 bid just before the auction ends, but found out I won it for $86 +$6 for shipping. It appears that I posted a max bid for $13,000. I immediately used the cancel order option, sent the seller a polite message with an apologize for wasting their time, and the seller does not want to cancel to order. The seller keeps on saying they cannot relist, sent a second chance offer to another buyer who does not want to pay (shill bidding involve?), and how come you did not retract the bid before (impossible for me do so with 5 secs left and I just happened to come across it with 2 mins left) the auction ended.

There is no way I'm paying double the price when the same item goes for $20-$40 shipped on eBay. Now I'm trying to figure out why would someone post a $85 bid for a shirt and this seller sold the exact one for less than $25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get ebay customer service involved im sure they will side with you.
Seller says they going to leave an unpaid item and a negative review on me. Is that possible if I contact customer service and they side with me? It has been awhile since I won an item via bidding. I usually do the Buy it Now.

Just take the unpaid item strike 1 strike does nothing to your account he can't leave negative review because he not the buyer he is the seller.

Just take the unpaid item strike 1 strike does nothing to your account he can't leave negative review because he not the buyer he is the seller.
Thanks. Looks like I will have to do that. Just sent the seller a message saying I won't be able to pay and go ahead and open a unpaid item dispute on me. I even offered him a positive feedback if he cancels it. I have sent the seller proof of my maximum bid of $13,000 (a snapshot of my max bid) and tell them to see the bid history. It showed that I posted a $11 bid a few secs before I posted the $13,000 bid. So far the seller keeps on using the same response.

I just got off the phone with eBay customer service and was told to let the seller open an unpaid item dispute on me. Once the unpaid item dispute is over, call back and they will remove it.

I don't know if anyone has ever gotten in trouble for doing so, but I'd suggest never mentioning "positive feedback if" or "negative feedback if" in any messages.  It could potentially be viewed as extorting feedback.

I don't know if anyone has ever gotten in trouble for doing so, but I'd suggest never mentioning "positive feedback if" or "negative feedback if" in any messages. It could potentially be viewed as extorting feedback.
Thanks! I was not aware about that policy. I had buyers who left me positive feedback which I didn't ask for when I canceled their orders or refunded them. Just want my order cancel so I can move on, but looks like the seller will open a unpaid item dispute on me. Oh well.

He can't do anything to you. Just don't pay and ignore him if you want. Eventually he will go away and you will get an unpaid strike against (which pretty much does nothing).

The seller may just be tired of people not paying for his stuff and is trying to play the hard ass, but really there is nothing he can do. Sometimes standing your ground with buyers gets you somewhere, but really you have no power. On a side note - this is why I only do buy it now w/ instant payment/

The seller seems shady to me. The bid goes from $5 high bid to $85 last second for something worth maybe $40? Seller obviously wasnt happy with the way the auction was going so had a dupe account bid it up high. So doubt he is tired of people not paying for his stuff. I sell on eBay and rarely does someone buy from me and not want to pay.

Depends on if the guy sells alot or not. If he is a new or very infrequent seller then he could be schilling. If he is a high volume seller then he may be tired of people. The more things you sell, the more often you see non-paying bidders.

When I would sell a rarer comic. Say something worth 75 bucks and a few people got into a little war at the end and it ends at 120 then there was a very good chance the buyer would rethink it after winning and just not pay. Happened enough that I stopped auctioning stuff.

I guess I'm the black sheep here and feel you should have just dealt with it trying to last minute snipe like that. You may not have meant to do it but you are severely inconveniencing the guy and it could have been avoided had you not tried to be so cheap. I guess asking you to pay that might be a bit steep but in no way would I paint the guy (who probably is just tired of dealing with people who mess up on listings like you did or anyone that tries to back out for whatever reason as it does get old and annoying) as the villain here nor do I feel you should get off completely free assuming you work things out since you were the one that messed things up.

I guess I'm the black sheep here and feel you should have just dealt with it trying to last minute snipe like that. You may not have meant to do it but you are severely inconveniencing the guy and it could have been avoided had you not tried to be so cheap. I guess asking you to pay that might be a bit steep but in no way would I paint the guy (who probably is just tired of dealing with people who mess up on listings like you did or anyone that tries to back out for whatever reason as it does get old and annoying) as the villain here nor do I feel you should get off completely free assuming you work things out since you were the one that messed things up.
I agree here... although OP is basically gonna get out of this without any real repercussions, it's kinda unfair to the seller.

Plus, this part below makes me think this is buyers remorse, not just a simple typo...

There is no way I'm paying double the price when the same item goes for $20-$40 shipped on eBay. Now I'm trying to figure out why would someone post a $85 bid for a shirt and this seller sold the exact one for less than $25.

People make mistakes. His was clearly genuine. He's not "severely inconveniencing" the guy. It's a minor inconvenience at worst. The seller is being fuckin' prick, end of story.

Honest mistakes should not be punished.

I agree here... although OP is basically gonna get out of this without any real repercussions, it's kinda unfair to the seller.

Plus, this part below makes me think this is buyers remorse, not just a simple typo...
I haven't done an auction style bidding for awhile so I got really excited when I saw it in used condition with a current bid for $5 with 2 mins left and knowing that it goes for $89.99 NEW at the mall. I had $20 in mind and I spent like a minute or so comparing prices from other sellers. I posted my first bid at 15 secs, not current bidder, posted another one at $13 with 5 secs left, but it was for $13,000 instead. I immediately, within seconds after the auction ended, asked the seller to please cancel the transaction with an apology because I accidentally made a ridiculously bid on it as you can see below.

I made a mistake. I felt really bad about it too but at the same time I don't want to pay that much for it. I asked the seller to make a new listing with the same shirt and do a buy it now for $30. If the seller takes my offer, I'm cool with it. If not, I'm good with the unpaid item dispute on me.

I appreciate with all the replies. I don't know why I let this get into my head lol. I'm going to move on and use this as a reminder not to bid at the last seconds.

cx7eIAN.png

I haven't done an auction style bidding for awhile so I got really excited when I saw it in used condition with a current bid for $5 with 2 mins left and knowing that it goes for $89.99 NEW at the mall. I had $20 in mind and I spent like a minute or so comparing prices from other sellers. I posted my first bid at 15 secs, not current bidder, posted another one at $13 with 5 secs left, but it was for $13,000 instead. I immediately, within seconds after the auction ended, asked the seller to please cancel the transaction with an apology because I accidentally made a ridiculously bid on it as you can see below.

I made a mistake. I felt really bad about it too but at the same time I don't want to pay that much for it. I asked the seller to make a new listing with the same shirt and do a buy it now for $30. If the seller takes my offer, I'm cool with it. If not, I'm good with the unpaid item dispute on me.

I appreciate with all the replies. I don't know why I let this get into my head lol. I'm going to move on and use this as a reminder not to bid at the last seconds.

cx7eIAN.png
Alright, you were on mobile... I can believe typos on a mobile.

If that's the case, tell the seller to cancel the transaction and send a 2nd chance offer to the second highest bidder. There's a chance the second higher bidder will accept it and the seller will only end up getting a few bucks less.

You can typo on a computer just as easily. All it takes is missing the decimal point if you're trying to snipe within a matter of cents. I basically did the same exact thing OP did, but it was a rare book in not so great condition, and certainly not worth the thousands I max bid at when I think I just meant to bid under $100. I apologized, sent a screen cap of the mistake bid, said I wasn't going to pay, (I can't remember if we canceled or what happened, but it went away), told him to do the 2nd chance offer, and that was that. I fucked up, I apologized. I'm sure the seller was annoyed and if he wanted to stick me on his blocked buyer list, I totally get that.

OP if you do any selling on eBay, you might want to stick that person on your blocked bidder list in case he wants to be vindictive.

bread's done
Back