Ebay--Square Trade WTF??? Ebay horror story

primemayhem

CAG Veteran
So here's my Ebay horror story....

I have been on Ebay for three years. I mostly buy, some selling. I have over 320 positive feedbacks (I had one neg. from someone who was kicked off ebay).

Two months ago I buy an $8.00 item for my Tippmann A-5 (paintball marker) . The seller never sends item. I file a claim with Paypal and recieve a refund. Seller then leaves me an un-paid item strike. Once again, I go to ebay and they remove it.

Today, the seller leaves me a negative feedback for not paying the auction. I contact ebay and they tell me to have it removed, I have to use their Square Trade mediation service. No problem, or so I thought.

I fill out all the form and finally get to the last page....The mediator costs $29.95!!!! Basically, it'll cost me 30 bones to have negative feedback on an $8 item removed..WTF?

Do any CAGs know of any other way to remove negative feedback? The mutal withdrawl is not an option. The member saw my APO address and has made numerous negative comments about the military.

$30? those nazi pig fuckers.

just don't worry about it, a neg doesn't really have any impact on your sales. You can always leave a follow-up comment telling the viewer to contact you about details about the negative or something.

Just a little follow-up...just for laughs. Here's the links to my feedback and his.

My Feed Back

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=yellowliz28&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS

His Feedback (notice all his negs. are never his fault). Originally I left him a neutral because I recieved a refund (and didnt feel like being an as*hole). I said he had good communication because he also wrote back quick. He was a prick, but a least he wrote back.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=mtbegg

Are you sure he won't want to do a withdrawal? Because looking at his history, most of the negatives he gave seem retalitory, and several were withdrawn. I wouldn't surprised if he retaliated under the hopes of getting the negative removed. That "using the military to commit fraud" comment is pretty absurd, though.

[quote name='primemayhem']Just a little follow-up...just for laughs. Here's the links to my feedback and his.

My Feed Back

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=yellowliz28&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS

His Feedback (notice all his negs. are never his fault). Originally I left him a neutral because I recieved a refund (and didnt feel like being an as*hole). I said he had good communication because he also wrote back quick. He was a prick, but a least he wrote back.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=mtbegg[/QUOTE]

he has another one and I love it:

Buyer yellowliz28: Null Transaction; Great Communication.
Reply by mtbegg: Yellowliz28 did not pay and backed out of the auction.
Follow-up by yellowliz28: Mbr nvr sent item.I rcvd paypal refund.Mbr angry he got caught in a fraud!!!

Few more like this and he is gone.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']That's all well and good.... but PLEASE tell me you didn't REALLY order something from www_replicawrestlingbelts_com. Q_Q.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I by a lot of wrestling tees. Sad part is Im 29 married with three kids and still wear my Carlito Cool shirt when I go shopping....well it's either that or my Nintendo 8 bit shirt....

Thanks for the positive military comments. I have been in eleven years (currently serving in Germany) I think I've seen it all. It really irks me that the guy would bring my service into it. You can hate the war, you can hate Bush but, dont have the service people. We are proud to help where we can.

I'll add this quote from one of his e-mails, where he tries to scare me. I run a shop of 50 people. I dont think my Commander would get bent out of shape over an $8 ebay item...what a dumba**

"I will now pass this claim and my standard fraud letter over to your supervisor.
Its amazing how the military does not put up with it's members trying to commit fraud.
Thanks,
Thomas"

EBay will remove feedback if it:
"The feedback comment contains personal identifying information about another member, including real name, address, phone number, or e-mail address."

Maybe the fact that mentioned you have an APO adress is considered personal identifying information and they can remove it based on that?

^^ Worth a shot.

I use a seperate eBay account to do any buying. (This is allowed under eBay rules. At least it was when I checked a few months ago and I doubt they've changed.)

Negative FB doesn't really hurt a buyer nearly as much as a seller. So I can give a bad seller the FB s/he deserves and if I get neged back don't sweat it. If I were you I'd start using that system as well.

That folow-up does look pretty bad for you IMO. You both have pretty good FB ratings so (if I were just Joe eBay seller) I wouldn't automatically discount what the guy has said. Might make me antsy to ship to your APO (since I don't think you can do DC to those, right?)

Does suck to be nice to the guy and just give him a neutral to have him turn around and stick you with a BS neg.

Ebay should certainly change how they do things. My wife and I (we buy and sell things together, no need for seperate accounts) have positive feedback from 468 people (486 total) and not a single negative or neutral. No bid retraction or withdrawn feedback.

I get nervous every time that I sell a item on Ebay, worried that someone would give me negative feedback for one reason or the other. I take care to pack the items well, show pictures of the actual items (so people can't get confused or claim to not know what they were paying for), so on so forth.

But, the real problem comes as a buyer. I can't leave negative feedbacks as a buyer for fear that they retaliate and ruin my feedback (essential as a seller). Like, last item I bought was a DVD. Picture showed it in great condition, I get it and see that part of it was torn off, clearly not shown that way in the picture or described in the descrption. I can't do anything though because its not worth getting a retaliation (of course the seller was smart and didn't give me feedback even though I paid immediately).

The system is flawed, retalitory negative feedbacks shouldn't be so easy and there should be some automation to the process to keep it from being used to force people into going along with things. And the 30 bucks to mediate? That's just another chance for them to make money instead of putting protections against these sort of things in the first place.

[quote name='wubb'] Might make me antsy to ship to your APO (since I don't think you can do DC to those, right?)
[/QUOTE]

Correct, you can't use DC but can use insurance (which of course won't help for tracking purposes)).

[quote name='KrAzY3']

But, the real problem comes as a buyer. I can't leave negative feedbacks as a buyer for fear that they retaliate and ruin my feedback (essential as a seller). Like, last item I bought was a DVD. Picture showed it in great condition, I get it and see that part of it was torn off, clearly not shown that way in the picture or described in the descrption. I can't do anything though because its not worth getting a retaliation (of course the seller was smart and didn't give me feedback even though I paid immediately).
[/QUOTE]

One solution is that is to have 2 EBay accounts, one strictly for buying and one for selling.

[quote name='KrAzY3']I get nervous every time that I sell a item on Ebay, worried that someone would give me negative feedback for one reason or the other. ...... But, the real problem comes as a buyer. I can't leave negative feedbacks as a buyer for fear that they retaliate and ruin my feedback (essential as a seller). Like, last item I bought was a DVD. Picture showed it in great condition, I get it and see that part of it was torn off. I can't do anything though because its not worth getting a retaliation [/QUOTE]

You worry too much. My feedback is down at 95% (same as sears), and it hasn't impacted my sales at all. I still get outrageously high prices for common games.

I feel, if a seller deserves a neg, you should give it. That guy who advertised "mint" when it was actually damaged, deserves the most scathing neg you can give him.

Why? Because even though you might drop from 100% to 99.9%, you've helped other people by making them aware that this DVD guy is a rip-off artist. If you care enough to pack your games carefully for your customers, then you should care enough to protect them from Scammers : Leave the Neg.

troy

I filed a NonPaying Buyer Strike today. The seller pleased with me not to do it. I replied, "If you buy this DVD, then I won't do it."

"No. I'm not buying a Punch Drunk movie that ain't sealed!"

"I never said it was sealed. I said it was used."

"Don't care - not paying"

"Then I'm sorry, but you earned a Strike. This is the only way for me to recover Listing Fees."

bread's done
Back