Starting Price New Insertion Fee Current Fee

$0.01 – 24.99 5¢ 2¢
$25.00 – and higher 10¢ 2¢

Selling Price New Final Value Fee Current Fee

$0.01 – 25.00 10% 8%
$25.01 – 100.00 7% 5%
$100.01 – 1,000.00 5% (no change) 5%
$1,000.01 and higher 3% (no change) 3%

Effective August 22nd. Apparently, there are too many store listings and not enough auction listings, so this is to make people switch their inventory to auctions (Though a lowered auction fees could of caused that...). The effect that's happening though is that many people are leaving eBay.

Yeah, I read this earlier today. I try to stay off eBay unless I have something so extroadinary either in value or uniqueness. I only post auctions when they were 0.10 (those days are gone) and now 0.20.

Wow 10% is really damn high. I would be uber bitter if I had an eBay store.

You'd still have to be able to get within 10% of what you'd get on eBay to have it make sense to switch. But with every fee increase they are increasing the chances of another site being able to break their monopoly. I guess they've reached a critical mass of sellers and the only way to continue to increase revenue is to increase fees? Sucks.

[quote name='Caliburn']Yeah, I read this earlier today. I try to stay off eBay unless I have something so extroadinary either in value or uniqueness. I only post auctions when they were 0.10 (those days are gone) and now 0.20.[/QUOTE]

I've been doing the same thing so far this year. When I first started selling they'd do 5 cent listing days and maybe even free list days IIRC, then it upped to 10 cents, and now it does look like 20 is the new basement. Still they are having these sales a lot more frequently than they did when I first started selling so I guess it's not a completely horrible trade off.

When there is a real threat to eBay's stranglehold I'd imagine we'll see some agressive promo days and maybe even fee reductions. But until then we'll just have to deal...

Here's the link to the announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200607.shtml#2006-07-19134256

"In fact, current Store Inventory insertion fees don't cover eBay's costs for hosting them."

If this is true they really need to trim some fat at eBay. There's no way $0.02 per month shouldn't cover their cost to host a single store inventory listing IMO.

Does anybody really have any luck with an Ebay store? Ebay once called me (yea, I know, weird) about opening one since I do so much business on there lately, but I politely declined.

I've listed items at BIN prices HIGHER than the Ebay stores do, on a regular basis, and my item gets sold while their item just sits there. It seems most people never scroll down far enough to get to the store.

And besides that, those Ebay stores have crazy insane pricing, they always want $40 more for a game than what everyone else is charging.

An Ebay store is great If you have a steady supply, although it is now harder to profit after this fee raise. Ebay stores usually have insane pricing because they are in no hurry to sell.

Am I wrong or does this not effect the average ebay seller? I only list a couple of things now and then, so since I don't have a store the fees aren't going up for me.

Also, isn't this a good thing? Get some of the rediculously priced items taken down...or at least make that seller pay more to list it at stupid prices.

Don't get me started on the ebay store...I tried it out for a couple of months and it was absolutely WORTHLESS. I would even list items (similar to what was in my store) in an auction format and they would ALWAYS sell before my store items, and at a higher price.

The biggest problem with the store is that items don't show up on searches until AFTER all the regular listings. Can someone explain to me why I would want to pay a premium (to own a store), but be at a DISADVANTAGE (marketing-wise) to those who don't?

he biggest problem with the store is that items don't show up on searches until AFTER all the regular listings. Can someone explain to me why I would want to pay a premium (to own a store), but be at a DISADVANTAGE (marketing-wise) to those who don't?

Exactly why I just built my own site. I will occassionally be posting things on ebay to help drive traffic/increase sales...since ebay is like the mall.

But why waste monthly fees/insertion fees for an ebay store when your product is buried, and people will only really see it if they implicitly choose to see it. Granted, I have gone into an ebay store via an auction, but I just dont think the fees are worth it for a seller to have a store vs listing auction style. The only way I can see it being useful is if you have a huge inventory of merchandise that doesn't move consistently.

What about PS3 scalping?? This affects that... sort of. I figure you can sell a PS3 for at least $1,000, so a 3% charge sounds fine. I've been losing atr least 11% from the combined theivery powers of eBay and PAypal... bastards. It's just not worth it if you're selling cheap things on eBay.

For example, I still have my MEtroid Prime Hunters Demo for the DS. I saw people selling it for a $1 or less on ebay. After all the fees... you're not making money on that. So do I just trash it?!?!

bread's done
Back