Ebay switch scam? New sealed 3ds buyer wants return

Dreamcastguy

CAGiversary!
So I sold a new and sealed 3ds that I got from a retail store.

The buyer has told me that it doesn't power on or even charge when plugged in.  They requested a refund.

I told them that I would refund it after they returned the unit to me and that I would pay the shipping cost.

So they said that there was no need for me to pay shipping costs and that they would ship it back to me and I could refund it when I got the unit in the mail.

So that kinda made it seem even more fishy to me.  Why would they not want the shipping cost paid if this wasn't a subsitution scam?

At this point I am pretty much sunk.  I am just hoping that the 3ds they send me back looks new enough so I can just get my money back from the retail store I bought it from.

As far as I know there isn't a rash of 3ds products just not working fresh from the box.

Assuming that this is a scam is there any advice that I should take at this time?

Did you take down the serial number before you sent it out? 

I always take a picture of the serial number of any hardware I sell (I keep them on my computer, I do not post/share them in the auction or with buyers) since that's the first, and most basic, way to tell if you are getting back what you sent out.

Now, they could still have opened up the system and swapped out the guts, so you'll should check to see if there's any signs that the unit's been opened. A lot of hardware has the serial number within the software menus (most phones/tablets) so you can't easily swap out the insides. But I don't believe the 3DS does so that won't help here. 

So I sold a new and sealed 3ds that I got from a retail store.

The buyer has told me that it doesn't power on or even charge when plugged in. They requested a refund.

I told them that I would refund it after they returned the unit to me and that I would pay the shipping cost.

So they said that there was no need for me to pay shipping costs and that they would ship it back to me and I could refund it when I got the unit in the mail.

So that kinda made it seem even more fishy to me. Why would they not want the shipping cost paid if this wasn't a subsitution scam?

At this point I am pretty much sunk. I am just hoping that the 3ds they send me back looks new enough so I can just get my money back from the retail store I bought it from.

As far as I know there isn't a rash of 3ds products just not working fresh from the box.

Assuming that this is a scam is there any advice that I should take at this time?
you screwed since its your word against theirs, and ebay will said with the buyer everytime.

Hell i sold a game and forgot to put the tracking on ebay. Week later person goes i never got my game, tracking number shows it was delivered. Ebay sided with them even though they got the game, cause i did not put the tracking number as soon as i shipped it ,They said i could of just made up the number. So i got screwed out of the game and cash. This is why i mostly dont use ebay anymore

LOL.

If they do in fact scam you, how would you be any better of person to scam the retail store you purchased it from by returning something other then what you bought?

Always... ALWAYS... write down the s/n if the item you're selling has one. The receipt should (and in this case would) have the serial number too (I mean... you did say you bought it form a retail store right?).

When I buyer mentions something is wrong with the item ALWAYS respond to the effect of:

"I'm sorry to hear that your console wasn't working, as it was brand new you can either contact the manufacturer for a replacement or return it to me for a full refund... my records show you were sent the following unit: SWxxxxxxxxx. Once I receive that unit along with all the original packing materials (Box, manuals, charger, etc.) you will receive a full refund."

At least you let them know that you are aware of the unit they sent them so it is more difficult for them to return something else. And if they do in fact return something else before accusing them of fraud respond:

"Dear buyer, today I received you return. The item I received was not the item you were sent, perhaps you sent this unit back by accident? Please return the original unit."

Then if they don't do that let them know they commited postal fraud which is in fact a felony and file a report with the postal inspector (can be done online) and with your police department. All you'll need is a case number and you'll win any dispute wtih eBay or PayPal upon appeal.

LOL.

If they do in fact scam you, how would you be any better of person to scam the retail store you purchased it from by returning something other then what you bought?

Always... ALWAYS... write down the s/n if the item you're selling has one. The receipt should (and in this case would) have the serial number too (I mean... you did say you bought it form a retail store right?).

When I buyer mentions something is wrong with the item ALWAYS respond to the effect of:

"I'm sorry to hear that your console wasn't working, as it was brand new you can either contact the manufacturer for a replacement or return it to me for a full refund... my records show you were sent the following unit: SWxxxxxxxxx. Once I receive that unit along with all the original packing materials (Box, manuals, charger, etc.) you will receive a full refund."

At least you let them know that you are aware of the unit they sent them so it is more difficult for them to return something else. And if they do in fact return something else before accusing them of fraud respond:

"Dear buyer, today I received you return. The item I received was not the item you were sent, perhaps you sent this unit back by accident? Please return the original unit."

Then if they don't do that let them know they commited postal fraud which is in fact a felony and file a report with the postal inspector (can be done online) and with your police department. All you'll need is a case number and you'll win any dispute wtih eBay or PayPal upon appeal.
Dont see what good writing the number down does. I can write down a number and then ship you a system with a different number.

Dont see what good writing the number down does. I can write down a number and then ship you a system with a different number.
I'm telling you, from someone who has a good grasp of how eBay works, you will win upon appeal. If you just want to blame everyone else and always assume the sky is falling then yes, eBay will blow you off.

If you bought it at retail, you would have the receipt with the S/N. You would be able to upload that into the case details. That alone wouldn't win upon appeal but the fact that you file a case with the postal inspector for mail fraud and got a case number from the police department ABSOLUTELY would. EVERYTIME.

99% of buyers aren't going to ship something back if they know you have all your ducks in a row. Those that would most likely are habitual offenders and it wouldn't be there first time. There are better items to scam then a ~ $200 3DS.

I have the receipt with all the info on it.  Thanks for mentioning that I honestly didn't know that the serial number was on there.

I also have pictures of all box sides with all numbers legible.

Hopefully this is simply just a case of a 3ds just not working and that the buyer will send back the same 3ds that I sold them.

I guess it's possible that they just think ebay rules mean that they are supposed to pay for shipping on returned items.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back