eBay trouble, sold a game, buyer claims not working.

arfin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey all, i sold TOMBA to someone on ebay, and received an email today that the game isn't working. Only thing is, i was playing the game for half a week before i put it up for sale with no problems at all, i even have saves on my memory card.

I just want to know what you guys think my response should be. I am ready to refund him 100% of the money BUT only if it is my original copy, i'm worried he might have had a copy himself that didn't work and now he wants to switch it with mine.

[quote name='breakingcustoms']tell him to try it on another system...i dont think you should refund him...he should've known about it before buying[/quote]

Ouch, I didn't know Tomba was incompatible on PS2s. That's probably the case and for many people, trying it on another system is a non-issue as they would only have one system. You might as well promote that, and if he says that he only has a PS2, you could ask him to take pictures of the items and send them back.

Otherwise, he'll file a Paypal chargeback and win. If you took money order/check, then you may be in the clear (barring stop-check) and you could hit a negative.

To me, due to the PS2 incompatibility, that may be a genuine issue for the buyer that he was unaware of. Did you note "PS1 PS2" in your auction's title?

Thanks for the response guys. I would have never guessed it was incompatible with the PS2. I never mentioned it would work with ps2, or even stated the word ps2 in the auction.

When he contacted me today he said he played it in 2 different ps2's and even 1 ps1 console ... hmmm.

Anyways i guess i have not choice, if i don't refund him, he will get it through paypal anyways, and i might end up getting a negative. If you guys seen my latest GBA auction then you know i really need the money ... but i guess i have no choice. Even though he said he tried it on a ps1 console, im gonna ask him to try it again. If it still doesn't work then i guess i will refund him. This is the response i want to send him. Let me know what you guys think:

Hi ****, that is odd, i was playing that game for half a week before i put it up for sale, and it was working the entire time.

I did some research, it turns out TOMBA doesn't work for the playstation 2. Please see this link: (link to wiki article, i took it out so it doesn't stretch the forum)

I know for a fact the game was working before i sent it, as it was being played in my playstation before i sent it.

Please try it in a playstation 1 console and let me know what happens. Thanks

also, Tell him to clean the disk. I had a simialr problem with a copy of space channle 5 for the Sega dreamcast. I knew it worked. I sent him info on how to clean a disk, and how to alighn the Dremacst laser. He was very happy. I guess he got it to work on his or another Dremacast. he said I wnet above and beyone other sellers. I haven't heard a word form him since.

[quote name='loca']I would not refund him. You don't know if he could have switched it.[/QUOTE]

If he paid with Paypal, and a credit card through paypal, you're just fucked either way.

Dude sends it back, there is no way the seller can prove it is the same exact game, unless they took a picture of the underside of the disc before they sent it, but even still Paypal won't listen to that because the buyer will just claim the photos are fake.

If everything is up to par, and the game is all scratched to hell, Paypal won't side with the seller, since the buyer will just say the seller lied.

I have had someone switch games on me before, and sadly, there is no action you can take against them, since it's almost impossible to prove someone switched copies, since the case and manual and disc art work were the same, but the game was scratched to hell. The buyer simply claims "that is what he got".

And if the buyer isn't happy with Paypal's results, he will just do a chargeback through his CC.

And if you straight up say "No refund, too bad", he'll simply open a dispute, Paypal will side with him, make him send it back, and make you refund him.

Paypal and Ebay are real shitty against sellers, even more so these days. I am so glad I am almost through with them.

The point is, if he paid with Paypal, you're screwed, since he'll get his money back.

Well i sent him the message i said i would. Unfortunately Roufuss is right, so when he asks for the refund, i will have to give it to him. BUT he has to return it first, i believe that is how paypal works.

Since this thread is here i thought i'd ask for help too. I won a cell phone on ebay and paid for it. I email the seller asking when he/she will ship and i get a response saying paypal put a hold on his account and he will refund my $$ ASAP. I emailed him again to get an update and no response yet. I paid on the 12th, this seller only has 1 feedback, do you guys think i got scammed? if so any recommendations?

[quote name='arfin']Well i sent him the message i said i would. Unfortunately Roufuss is right, so when he asks for the refund, i will have to give it to him. BUT he has to return it first, i believe that is how paypal works.[/QUOTE]

Correct, he has to return the item, and he has to prove you got it, so he needs to mail it with delivery confirmation.

Unfortunately, he can send you a piece of shit copy back, and there is nothing you can do unless you want to fight a very long, uphill battle. The copy I got back when this happened to me looked EXACTLY like it did in the picture, except the disc was destroyed on the bottom, and since I had no pics of the bottom, I was helpless... luckily, it was only an $8 game.

To the person above me, Paypal puts a hold on accounts now for 21 days for sales with "high risk items", and they will remove the hold after 21 days or until you provide positive feedback. They put the hold there because of the item, and the fact the seller didn't have a lot of FB. Seems like the seller freaked out for no reason.

If you feel you got scammed, open a Paypal dispute, you should win it very easily.

[quote name='Roufuss']Correct, he has to return the item, and he has to prove you got it, so he needs to mail it with delivery confirmation.

Unfortunately, he can send you a piece of shit copy back, and there is nothing you can do unless you want to fight a very long, uphill battle. The copy I got back when this happened to me looked EXACTLY like it did in the picture, except the disc was destroyed on the bottom, and since I had no pics of the bottom, I was helpless... luckily, it was only an $8 game.

To the person above me, Paypal puts a hold on accounts now for 21 days for sales with "high risk items", and they will remove the hold after 21 days or until you provide positive feedback. They put the hold there because of the item, and the fact the seller didn't have a lot of FB. Seems like the seller freaked out for no reason.

If you feel you got scammed, open a Paypal dispute, you should win it very easily.[/quote]

ok, thank you for your help

bread's done
Back