Ebgames disc only policy

my eb doesn't take any game without the original case

EDIT: This only happened to me the one time I tried to trade a game without the case. Looking back, I think it was during a "trade _ to get _ free" deal. To be honest, I don't think they should deduct for no manual, hell sometimes all I get with a new game is french manual and odds are I'll throw it away out of anger. But nobody wants a game without it's original case.

Last edited by a moderator:
The annoying part is that they then go out and only sell the missing box stuff online... and they somehow get away with the missing manual stuff on shelves and they don't even sell it at a lower price.

What annoys me even more is that a company like EB and Gamestop can easily call up the company to get a replacement part...

really rogansarine they can? I suppose it might just be a bunch of work, and the companys might even charge for it, i only wondered this because i was looking to get in on the extra credit deal, because i had quite a few disc only games

I have worked in similar companies (in terms of relationship/strong ties to a certain industry) and know people who have, and while it isn't directly the games industry, you generally always have good enough relationships with your industry to be able to do things like that. I would be very surprised if a company in the industry, specifically EB/Gamestop with the retail pull they have, would not be able to simply call up and get a new one.

Well actually, I guess what EB/Gamestop does is that they actually send back the "borked used copy" and the publisher ships them back a new game (I know they do this as a fact- but I don't see why they can't do it the other way), but since it's new and not used they don't make as much as a profit?

Most industry companies can get easily replaceable parts such as manuals without any cost to them, and if they can't (or it's in a condition where no one wants to buy it), they send it back as defective and get a full refund for it and make there money anyway.

In actuality, there have been a couple times where I have fired a support email to the publisher and they have sent me a replacement because I didn't want to deal with EB and their bullshit (Namely, EA).

P.S.: I'm not saying EB/Gamestop can, but in every other industry they are able too. I would be surprised if EB/Gamestop cannot; however, I can see them be a really lazy company who wouldn't want to go through the hassle and would try to sell what they can to any suckered-in buyer who doesn't demand a price reduction for significant part of the game missing.

Sure, the manual is normally disposible... but without it... I personally think the game loses all value. In other countries, they drop price significantly for games that arn't complete... but in north america they are adamant on not doing so.

[quote name='RoganSarine']Well actually, I guess what EB/Gamestop does is that they actually send back the "borked used copy" and the publisher ships them back a new game (I know they do this as a fact- but I don't see why they can't do it the other way), but since it's new and not used they don't make as much as a profit?

Most industry companies can get easily replaceable parts such as manuals without any cost to them, and if they can't (or it's in a condition where no one wants to buy it), they send it back as defective and get a full refund for it and make there money anyway.[/QUOTE]

I don't think EB/GS can return used games for credit from the publisher: they didn't order it from the publisher so why would the publisher send them a new copy and buy the used one? If it was a new copy that say, had the shrink wrap broken or the disc was cracked then EB/GS could return it for credit. Otherwise, that seems awfully unprofitable for the publisher.

No way is eb going to be able to get replacement manuals for used games let alone have damaged used games replaced with new ones!?! Why in heck would the manufacturers give them something to help them make a sale they get nothing from. A few years abck they were making rumblings they wanted eb to pay a fee to the manufcaturers for each used game sold.

heck a year ago eb sold all those trauma centers for $10 that had only french manual included, with the altus site sayinf it was an error so print out your own because they didn't have any english ones to provide.

i like how sum ebg stores take ur games in with NO manuals! sum workers don't even look inside lol...i've put WRONG manuals on discs too lolz, or just use those pamphlets from 'other' similiar games :D

[quote name='vicious7171']my eb doesn't take any game without the original case[/QUOTE]

The computer hasn't penalized you for not having the case/manual for years. The current Gamestop system doesn't differentiate between complete or incomplete (although, in the old EB Games days, it did).

If someone is doing it at your store, they're doing it manually, and you need to call them on it. It's not kosher, unless the disc is damaged or something. Years ago, I managed an EB when the system was like that, but it hasn't been the case in quite a while. And yes, I do still work part-time at a GS (a former EB Games location, as well), so I can verify this.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I don't think EB/GS can return used games for credit from the publisher: they didn't order it from the publisher so why would the publisher send them a new copy and buy the used one? If it was a new copy that say, had the shrink wrap broken or the disc was cracked then EB/GS could return it for credit. Otherwise, that seems awfully unprofitable for the publisher.[/QUOTE]
I never said they could do it, but I'm actually awfully surprised if they can't. It's less of profitability and more business relationships in most industries (and EB people have said they'd send the used games back as defective when they have screwed up and don't have the game disc... So, they got to be able to get something?). For example, the manufacturers (or publishers) need the retailers (especially the big ones) to sell there games.

If the item (or game) is incomplete (and unplayable), they will usually courteously send them a replacement. They still make a major profit on the stuff and one minor profit dip for good business relationships is a worthy sacrifice. It's more of a long term look on things.

Thus, I'm surprised if EB games can't do this (plus, how much do manuals take to reprint and ship?) because of their retail pull. I can see them being lazy and not doing it (due to the little profit hit they'd take because they're greedy bastards), but I can't see that meaning they can't.

I'm curious to know what the terms on the "defective" item is. The item has been clearly a used game, but I know as a fact they sent it back defective because I kind of watched them do it. I don't know what the terms of agreement of it is though.

[quote name='RoganSarine']I never said they could do it,[/QUOTE]

ROFL, that's exactly what you said. You're full of crap. Everything you've said is fabrication. And North America isn't a country. :drool:

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']ROFL, that's exactly what you said. You're full of crap. Everything you've said is fabrication. And North America isn't a country. :drool:[/QUOTE]

? whats up with the jerkness, he made a mistake so what? Im sure youve made one before

I would be interested to see the amount of used games EB/GS sells compared to new copies. When a game gets traded in and resold, the publisher doesn't make anything (unless EB/GS gives them a cut or something). Thus, I see no reason, financial or otherwise, for a publisher to accept damaged used copies and send back a brand new one. If my theory of EB/GS giving the publisher a cut of profits made from used games holds, then it would make sense to ship new copies so that they re-enter the used market.

But I doubt it.

I'm curious though, which industries will accept damaged USED goods (i.e. not from their shipment to the retailer but from another source) and send back a new copy?

[quote name='dabogues']The computer hasn't penalized you for not having the case/manual for years. The current Gamestop system doesn't differentiate between complete or incomplete (although, in the old EB Games days, it did).

If someone is doing it at your store, they're doing it manually, and you need to call them on it. It's not kosher, unless the disc is damaged or something. Years ago, I managed an EB when the system was like that, but it hasn't been the case in quite a while. And yes, I do still work part-time at a GS (a former EB Games location, as well), so I can verify this.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if it makes a difference being EB as opposed to GS, but our store and all the surrounding stores do have different trade values for with/without books and case. I don't know if it works on a percentage, but for example most PS2 games get about $2 in trade if they're complete and only $0.50 if incomplete in any way. Disc only games also don't count towards trade 3 deals. That's the policy, and any stores not doing it are the ones not being kosher.

Wow, there's a lot of bullshit here. I stopped reading after the last line in post#6 so if any of this is redundant I apologize.

Here's the skinny;

Long ago, when Squaresoft made a decent fucking RPG and Sony had the world tucked in the pocket just between its genitals and its anus with the world dominating PS2, EB Games/Gamestop used to give MUCH LESS for trading in a game with a manual (so $15 TIV would go down to like $7 or whatever).

This still applies to people who trade in last-gen stuff of course but for this gen here's the glowing explanation I got:

"People this generation don't care about the case or whatever, they care about the game inside."

To me it's just "it takes more money to actually think up TIV penalties for all these games, it's not profitable enough". But seeing how Gamer 1 sold his perfect copy of CoD:WaW for $40 and then Gamer 2 comes in with no case and fucked up disc gets almost-the-same $37 ($40-$3 refurb fee) is really unfair. That's being lazy on EB/GS's corner.

And Roganshrine; game publishers aren't stupid, they know GS/EB are selling used games, the relationship is strained already. You think they're going to give (sell whatever) manuals to a company that's actually stopping a sale of a new game? Hells to the no.

It's not a matter of them being lazy or not, I'm sure getting manuals and game sleeves would make more money because the games will actuall sell and not just fucking sit there for years on end and get sold for $2.99 (when it was bought by the company for $40) two generations from now. There's a copy of Scene It? 2 that tons of people get excited about when I say there's a used one, and bam, no case (we gotta use the generic ones since the guy who probably stole it just brought the disc and one of my part timers took it in), no sale. Now it's gonna sit there until some redneck buys it for like $4.99 a few years from now (it traded in for $10+).

Also to traders;

Stores taking in non-cased games is really YMMV, personally I don't take a game if it has no case (unless it's a loose old loose GBA game), no manual is an iffy, I'll put "incomplete" in the thing but TIV will be the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back